U.S. impatient for Canadian move on Khadr

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
U.S. impatient for Canadian move on Khadr

The United States is frustrated by Canada's reluctance to ask for Omar Khadr to be returned home, a U.S. military lawyer charged Thursday.

Lt.-Col. Jon Jackson, Khadr's lead U.S. military lawyer, said American officials he's spoken with can't understand why Canada has not followed through on a deal to request the transfer of Khadr from the Guantanamo military prison in Cuba.

"The U.S. is basically saying: approve this transfer so we can make it happen."

Jackson added: "I can tell you that the hundreds of hours I've spent with Omar is all I can rely on, to say that he's a good person, with a good heart."

Liberal Sen. Romeo Dallaire, a longtime advocate for child soldiers, later pressed the government for answers in the Senate.

Marjory LeBreton, the government house leader in the Senate, replied:

"I actually did think we'd get through a full couple of months without a question on Omar Khadr."

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
..more..

Canada broke agreement with Omar Khadr
'Khadr is not a threat' and must be transfered immediately, Ottawa told

Omar Khadr's Canadian and American lawyers are calling on the Conservative government to live up to its agreement with the United States and approve his transfer to serve out the rest of his sentence for war crimes in Canada.

"The Canadian government has consistently failed to live up to its obligations to Omar Khadr. While Omar, a child, was trapped in a place that has been condemned around the world, the Canadian government stood idly by and said simply, 'We will let the process run its course,'" his Canadian lawyer, John Norris, told an Ottawa press conference Thursday.

"Well, that process has now long run its course.

"In October of 2010, Canada committed to return Omar to complete his sentence in Canada after he served one additional year in Guantanamo Bay. Yet today, he still sits in a cell in Guantanamo, eight months after he was eligible to return to Canada," Norris said.

One of his Pentagon-appointed U.S. lawyers said Khadr is not a threat.

"I've spoken to dozens of guards and staff at Guantanamo Bay and they all say the same thing about Omar Khadr, it needs to be clear to Canadians: He is a good kid and he deserves a chance at life," said Lt.-Col. Jon Jackson.

"Canada must honour the agreement it had with Omar Khadr and return him immediately to Canada."

Jackson added that U.S. Defence Secretary Leon Panetta signed off of Khadr's transfer in April.

"There's a great deal of frustration on the U.S. side," said Jackson. "The U.S. is basically saying: approve this transfer so we can make it happen."

Public Safety Minister Vic Toews said again Wednesday there was nothing new to say about the case.

"I've made no decision in that. I'll make a decision in due course, in accordance with the law."

That's been Ottawa's position ever since it became clear that the Americans were seeking to have the Toronto-born Khadr transferred to Canada to serve out his sentence.

Canada broke agreement with Omar Khadr - Canada - CBC News

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
How funny!

For YEARS we've heard of the injustice to this innocent child and cries for his return... now we want to give him back and Canada doesn't even want him!

LMAO

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
How funny!

For YEARS we've heard of the injustice to this innocent child and cries for his return... now we want to give him back and Canada doesn't even want him!

LMAO

Mmm.. our government has that air of republicanism, don't they?

*takes whiff*

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
This is one case where I like to see the wheels of justice grind verrrryyyy slowly. If this took 20 years to process no one would care.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
This is one case where I like to see the wheels of justice grind verrrryyyy slowly. If this took 20 years to process no one would care.

Good to see you would sacrifice justice for your own personal prejudice.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
There are more pressing and immediate issues to resolve first, like the NHL draft.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
How did he get where he is now? What events led up to him being at a location other than his living room in Canada? Anybody remember?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
How did he get where he is now? What events led up to him being at a location other than his living room in Canada? Anybody remember?

That's just it, it's gone on too long, in civilian life (a worse case scenario) a 15 year old boy would be back on the street in 7 years for the most heinous of crimes.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
That's just it, it's gone on too long, in civilian life (a worse case scenario) a 15 year old boy would be back on the street in 7 years for the most heinous of crimes.

I agree with the differences in treatment but do not agree the results should be similar.

Were it in my pervue; I'd get him into the new Kenny announced rules for immigrants proceedings for having committed a crime, then deport his azz directly from Guantanimo to Pakistan or some other chit hole of a country he spent time in as a youth. He's no different than one of the Jamaican gang-bangers mentioned as example in the legislation modifications.

Canada has already re-inforced his hatred for the west by leaving him to the whim's of the Guantanimo trial system. To believe he will now return with a warm and cozy feeling towards Canada and become a fine functioning contributing citizen would be a stretch.

He will be attending the first radical muslim mosque he can get to after arrival back here to simply be held up as a hero by all those radicals looking for a figurehead and another example of the evil wests treatment.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Why not send him back to Afghanistan?

Seeing how he really wanted to be there in the first place and Canada is bending over backwards to accommodate Omar, let's fulfill his wishes and return him to where he truly wants to be.

Is his mindset the same now as it was when he was 15?