Democrat Hypocrisy

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Mass Democrats Require (Gasp) Photo ID To Enter Their Convention…

In recent years, Democrats have argued that requiring voters to show photo IDs prior to voting is an egregious act of voter suppression. Ben Jealous, of the NAACP, has gone so far as to argue that such requirements are tantamount to modern-day Jim Crow laws. In the world they inhabit, lots of voters don't have access to photo IDs, so requiring voters to provide this will "disenfranchise" them and leave them out of the democratic process. Funny they don't feel that way for their own party conventions.

On Saturday, Massachusetts delegates will meet in their state's Democrat party convention. The votes of these delegates will determine whether there are primary elections for their party nominations. With so much at state, Democrats have decided to implement Voter ID requirements:
A PHOTO ID WILL BE REQUIRED TO ENTER THE MASSMUTUAL CENTER
Wait, what? Democrats tell us that photo ID requirements disenfranchise minority voters, who, inexplicably, have limited access to photo IDs. Yet, at their own convention, they insist that all delegates provide a photo ID to even have access to the convention floor. When their own party is at state, it seems their priorities are somewhat different that their rhetoric suggests.

more wait what here:

MA Democrats: No Entry to Convention Without Photo ID

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The voter ID and other laws are the result of a push mostly by Republicans who say they want to prevent election fraud. Democrats and voting rights activists argue that they are unnecessary because voter fraud is rare — often citing the findings of a federal panel.

At the center of many of these legal challenges is Attorney General Eric Holder. His Justice Department has gone to court to overturn numerous state laws and blocked implementation of voter ID laws in states such as South Carolina. In each case, the Justice Department has argued that the laws would disenfranchise minority voters.

Battles Over Voter ID Laws Intensify : It's All Politics : NPR

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Googled to see what is a libertarian,i thought it was something like the

In the US, libertarianism is as close as you can get to anarchism and still have people take you (semi)seriously. Outside of the US, libertarianism is assumed to be allowed to regulate markets like any other political philosophy without infringing on personal liberties. US libertarians like to think that I have a right to sell you poison and call it medicine.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
In the US, libertarianism is as close as you can get to anarchism and still have people take you (semi)seriously. Outside of the US, libertarianism is assumed to be allowed to regulate markets like any other political philosophy without infringing on personal liberties. US libertarians like to think that I have a right to sell you poison and call it medicine.

close

Somehow I doubt that many of those that have no ID are all that interested in politics unless someone with an agenda is pushing them.
I can't recall ever getting onto a convention floor without ID and I've been to a few. One also has to be a party member to vote which requires ID.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
In other words the requirement is similar to that in many other democracies including Canada.

How true that is...but not here! Show up and vote. Just give a name and they'll give you a ballot.

Here in Massachusetts the Democrats battle fiercly against voters showing an ID on election day... except at their conventions of course.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
That's patently absurd! How the hell would you even know if someone was even a citizen and, therefore, eligible to vote?

In Canada, identification is mandatory in federal elections, but not in all provinces (eg. Alberta) for provincial elections.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
In Canada, identification is mandatory in federal elections, but not in all provinces (eg. Alberta) for provincial elections.

Where it's taking place doesn't make it any less absurd. It's an invitation for potential voter fraud.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
What is the percentage of voter fraud vis-à-vis the percentages of those denied the right to vote because of lack of government-issued photo identification? Perhaps all citizens should be issued photo ID?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
What is the percentage of voter fraud vis-à-vis the percentages of those denied the right to vote because of lack of government-issued photo identification? Perhaps all citizens should be issued photo ID?

I've gone to the polling station without photo I.D. before. I've just needed to show two pieces of any kind of I.D. and a piece of mail with my address on it. You cannot exist within society without any ID.

I'm talking about not having the need to show any ID at all.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Wow, the Democrat dirt is getting pretty poor these days. Maybe you guys should just stick to Obama's place of birth.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
When I originally read the title of this thread, I thought the Democrats were massing. It was definitely a relief to discover Mass was an abreviation for an American state (of panic?)

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I've gone to the polling station without photo I.D. before. I've just needed to show two pieces of any kind of I.D. and a piece of mail with my address on it. You cannot exist within society without any ID.

That is the case nowadays, but the people fighting this remember that once upon a time there were no IDs. Society managed quite well without them.

You can mail vote without any ID whatsoever. You do need a SIN, though. You just give them your address at Elections Canada and they mail a package to you. The same would be true with enumeration, where they would give you a scrip to go to a particular polling station.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
That's patently absurd! How the hell would you even know if someone was even a citizen and, therefore, eligible to vote?

You don't! Asking for idea is racist you know... except at the DNC.

Just know a name on the rolls and give it. Why do you think so many people vote from the grave?

None at all. Anyone of you want to vote in our Presidential Elections? Come on down and I'll give you my name and you can go vote in the Town Civic Center.

You simply walk up to the lady and say "I'm so and so" and she'll give you a ballot.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Yup! No hypocrisy in the Republican arena though. Boy, you guys really have to dig deep to get dirt on the Dems and Obama. Did they have to use an excavator to find this little gem?