The TED talk too political for TED to post...who creates demand?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Was Nick Hanauer’s TED Talk on Income Inequality Too Rich for Rich People? | Business | TIME.com
Their slogan is “ideas worth spreading.” But the folks at TED – the Technology Entertainment and Design nonprofit behind the TED Talks, beloved by geeks and others interested in novel new ideas – evidently think that some ideas are better left unspread. At least when the ideas in question challenge the conventional wisdom that rich enterpreneurs are the number one job creators.

This past March, millionaire tech investor and entrepreneur Nick Hanauer – one of the early backers of Amazon.com – gave a talk at a TED conference in which, among other things, suggested that middle-class consumers, not rich people, are the real job creators – and that because of this rich people should be paying more in taxes. Though the talk drew applause from conference attendees at the time, TED Talk curator Chris Anderson decided it wasn’t worth sharing with the wider world, and refused to post it on TED’s website.

His explanation? The talk was “too political” to be posted during an election year, and that “a lot of business managers and entrepreneurs would feel insulted” by some of Hanauer’s arguments. This seems more than a tad disingenuous, since TED generally doesn’t shy away from controversial ideas, and is sometimes so “political” that it invites actual politicians to talk at its conferences.
I guess it was because he specifically mentioned Republicans and Democrats. Is it partisan to note the stance of the two parties on an issue?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Of course middle class consumers are the real job creators. It's the middle class, because of it's size, that funds everything. Personally I'd say forget the 1 percenters and occupiers, the middle class is the group that should get frigging organized and shut the whole lot of them up.

As far as whether it's partisan or not, well everything is partisan. It either is coming from a point of view that is decidedly partisan or it is perceived to be partisan by those who happen to disagree with the view point. Real or imagined, it's always there.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That's quite interesting given the extremely controversial nature of some of TED's topics and/or ideas.

And to answer your question, no.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think if a person or group wants to really be innovative then they shouldn't hold back on anything. It's never the first idea out of the gate that's the winning solution anyway, so all ideas need to be put forth in order for them to evolve into the best idea/best strategy.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I think if a person or group wants to really be innovative then they shouldn't hold back on anything. It's never the first idea out of the gate that's the winning solution anyway, so all ideas need to be put forth in order for them to evolve into the best idea/best strategy.
I agree, and TED was an excellent sources of ideas. I've found that TED, for or against my own beliefs, has been for the most part a broad spectrum venue of thought. Well worth watching, whether I agreed with the idea/proposition, or not.

I actually find this kind of troubling, and it leaves me wondering if this is the first time this has happened.

It's funny, I never really realized the faith, for lack of a better word, I had put into TED, until now.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I agree, and TED was an excellent sources of ideas. I've found that TED, for or against my own beliefs, has been for the most part a broad spectrum venue of thought. Well worth watching, whether I agreed with the idea/proposition, or not.

I actually find this kind of troubling, and it leaves me wondering if this is the first time this has happened.

It's funny, I never really realized the faith, for lack of a better word, I had put into TED, until now.

I may well get slammed for this but I really don't believe that there is such a thing as a stupid idea. I was always taught that no matter how ridiculous a thought might seem to be, put it out there because the strangest thoughts can at times inspire others. And that's how we build things.

It's too bad if they are holding back but, like it or not, they exist in the same system/society that the rest of us do. And that 'second guessing' or 'holding back' out of fear of reprisal (whatever you want to call it) has been trending for a very long time. Personally I think it's somewhat worse now, but that could be just my awareness of it.

Bottom line is that if we continue to do what we've always done then we are going to continue to get the results that we always have. And this is why everything is so stagnant.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Considering how much it costs to attend a TED conference...............

http://www.ted.com/pages/registration

and the fact that other TED conferences have talked about Income Inequality ...........

http://blog.ted.com/2011/10/24/how-econ ... n-ted-com/

Many are wondering why not post this speech............

An Uber-Wealthy Venture Capitalist Gave A TED Talk Saying Rich People Don't Create Jobs

Everything in Hanauer's talk was so self-evident and obviously simplistic and proven beneficial to the 99%, as well as the 1% in the long run, that I'm shocked the 1% would find it controversial for him to suggest that the 1% pay more than 15% income tax.

But here's the difference between say a Hanauer and say an inheritance derived 1%er like Mittens is empathy for the 99% plus an awareness that if the 99% can't afford to buy your stuff, no matter how cheaply you get it made in any particular oppressive country, what good is it going to do for the1%ers business?

OK Mittens was a bad example as he only shuts down business's after he sucks the money out of them, but the bottom line is, if we are all working for minimum wage what kind of economy will you have...................

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I may well get slammed for this but I really don't believe that there is such a thing as a stupid idea. I was always taught that no matter how ridiculous a thought might seem to be, put it out there because the strangest thoughts can at times inspire others. And that's how we build things.

It's too bad if they are holding back but, like it or not, they exist in the same system/society that the rest of us do. And that 'second guessing' or 'holding back' out of fear of reprisal (whatever you want to call it) has been trending for a very long time. Personally I think it's somewhat worse now, but that could be just my awareness of it.

Bottom line is that if we continue to do what we've always done then we are going to continue to get the results that we always have. And this is why everything is so stagnant.

Oh yes there are such a thing as stupid ideas. Most are brought on by excess alcohol consumption or drug induced fog. My boss OTH can and does come up with really stupid ideas with neither.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think the world is changing and not for the better. We hear all kinds of things that
make sense, but the powers that be won't make them public in the broad forum of
public opinion. The reason is the wealthy and the poor are feeling threatened and
very insecure.
the very wealthy have been chipping away at the benefits of society for a long time.
little by little they were doing quite well until the crash. Unfortunately instead of
developing a better society we have all decided to pit the system off against each
other. The middle class is the key to the future. The rich are going to have to step
up and pay their share. The amount of tax and contribution they make is more like
a donation rather than their share. The poor, many clinging to the Occupy Movement
are content with slogans and idealistic solutions that are not practical, they are not
thought out and they have no direction for the future.
The time is rapidly coming, when the middle class say Enough and when that happens
all these meaningless government solutions will be revised in a big hurry.
The statements that were too political are the very statements that have to be made publicly.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Back in WW2 the tax rates were raised to pay for the war. That has not happened for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Actually, the tax rates went down for high income earners under W and we have the Repubs yapping about Obama's debt. Strange day's indeed

Here's a little something that defines the chipping away scenario. Walker of Wisconsin get's caught on tape saying things he dosen't want the public to hear. It's a 2 min video with the observations of Carlin fulfilled............

Walker Lies - With A Little George Carlin Added

Hanauer admits he paid an 11 percent tax rate on an eight-figure income in 2010. He's one of several millionaires speaking out against what he feels is an outdated system that disproportionately benefits the rich at the country's -- and the middle class's -- expense.

Hanauer says keeping taxes low on the country's wealthiest won't boost economic growth or lower the nation's 8.3 percent jobless rate. The economy prospers when the middle class consumes goods, he argues, and businesses will be destroyed if the government cuts programs for the middle class.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/millionaire-investor-calls-higher-taxes-rich-145808200.html;_ylt=As1Ff4YeR3N.1y1NQEhISBgp2YdG;_ylu=X3oDMTE2N2FuNWpsBG1pdANEVCBJbmRleARwb3MDMjIEc2VjA01lZGlhQmxvZ0luZGV4;_ylg=X3oDMTFvcGs0cnBnBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANibG9nBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Oh yes there are such a thing as stupid ideas. Most are brought on by excess alcohol consumption or drug induced fog. My boss OTH can and does come up with really stupid ideas with neither.

Lol, I knew someone would mention those scenarios. Suffice it to say that I'm not talking about alcohol or drug induced thoughts. ;)

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The owner of Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Athleta, Piperlime and Intermix, said it will raise the current $7.25 minimum wage for its workers to $9 this year and to $10 in 2015.

The company, which employs more than 65,000 people in the U.S., will raise the minimum rate to $9 in June 2014 and $10 in June 2015. It’s currently $7.25 an hour, though Gap says most of its employees make more than that . The decision is significant — Gap is America’s biggest specialty retailer, with more than 2,000 namesake, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Piperlime, Athleta and Intermix stores domestically.

Art Peck, president of growth, innovation and digital for Gap Inc., said in a telephone interview with BuzzFeed. “It’s coinciding with the national debate, but honestly, this was a business decision. I characterize it internally as a win-win-win-win. We usually look for a win-win, but this is a quad-win,” he said, listing shareholders, associates, customers and the communities that Gap does business in as beneficiaries. He added that Gap has no plans to cut jobs as it boosts wages.

more

Gap Raising Minimum Wage For More Than 65,000 U.S. Employees To $10 Next Year

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Imposing a class upon yourself is preposterous. There are no poor people in Canada or the USA

Well if internet communications was more affordable I guess the relatively poor would already be correcting you.