Christmas 1, Holiday Tree 0

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Love him or hate him, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker is a man who sticks by his convictions.
He started by making Wisconsin more business-friendly, then took on the public sector unions. And now, the state lawmaker that has solidified a national name for himself is taking on atheists and non-believers — over the state’s “holiday” tree.

...spokesman Cullen Werwei confirmed that the decision was intentional. “It’s a Christmas tree,” Werwei said. “In all honesty, I don’t know what more to say about it.” In the Charleston Daily Mail, Don Surber echoed this sentiment, writing, “Republican Governor Scott Walker of Wisconsin just ended 25 years of stupidity.”

more good news here:

Gov. Scott Walkers Upsets Atheists, Changes Holiday Tree to Christmas Tree | TheBlaze.com

Christmas 1, Holiday Tree 0 « Don Surber

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Love him or hate him, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker is a man who sticks by his convictions.
He started by making Wisconsin more business-friendly, then took on the public sector unions. And now, the state lawmaker that has solidified a national name for himself is taking on atheists and non-believers — over the state’s “holiday” tree.

...spokesman Cullen Werwei confirmed that the decision was intentional. “It’s a Christmas tree,” Werwei said. “In all honesty, I don’t know what more to say about it.” In the Charleston Daily Mail, Don Surber echoed this sentiment, writing, “Republican Governor Scott Walker of Wisconsin just ended 25 years of stupidity.”

more good news here:

Gov. Scott Walkers Upsets Atheists, Changes Holiday Tree to Christmas Tree | TheBlaze.com

Christmas 1, Holiday Tree 0 « Don Surber

Yep, there's always some f*****g A$$hole who wants to change something and generally for the worse. If they don't like Christmas they should rent a cave somewhere!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Good grief. Holiday Tree vs Christmas Tree.

Because there just isn't anything more important to argue about.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Good grief. Holiday Tree vs Christmas Tree.

Because there just isn't anything more important to argue about.

It's not a matter of arguing, it's a matter of standing firm on traditions that are being challenged by people who are supposedly coming to this country for a better life.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It's not a matter of arguing, it's a matter of standing firm on traditions that are being challenged by people who are supposedly coming to this country for a better life.

Actually I was sorting thinking of it the other way around. It's the entire debate over it that I roll my eyes at.

I didn't word it right, my bad. A Christmas tree is a Christmas tree is a Christmas tree. Everyone should just learn to live with it.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
And from what I understand, most non-Christian immigrants don't care!! I think a lot of immigrants are getting a bad rap - it's all these idiots who "claim" not to want to disinfranchise the immigrants - not the immigrants themselves. Gez! Have any of you heard an immigrant say they are "offended" with the term "Christmas? I know I haven't and most immigrants that I personally know call it exactly that - a Christmas Tree (and Christmas). While there may be a few out there that may feel "offended" the vast majority do not. They could care a less.

Some people have to get a life. I agree with SLM, there are other, more important issues.

JMHO

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Obama Couldn’t Wait: His New Christmas Tree Tax

President Obama’s Agriculture Department today announced that it will impose a new 15-cent charge on all fresh Christmas trees—the Christmas Tree Tax—to support a new Federal program to improve the image and marketing of Christmas trees.
In the Federal Register of November 8, 2011, Acting Administrator of Agricultural Marketing David R. Shipman announced that the Secretary of Agriculture will appoint a Christmas Tree Promotion Board. The purpose of the Board is to run a “program of promotion, research, evaluation, and information designed to strengthen the Christmas tree industry’s position in the marketplace; maintain and expend existing markets for Christmas trees; and to carry out programs, plans, and projects designed to provide maximum benefits to the Christmas tree industry” (7 CFR 1214.46(n)). And the program of “information” is to include efforts to “enhance the image of Christmas trees and the Christmas tree industry in the United States” (7 CFR 1214.10).

more bafflegab here:

http://blog.heritage.org/2011/11/08/obama-couldnt-wait-his-new-christmas-tree-tax/

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Obama Couldn’t Wait: His New Christmas Tree Tax

President Obama’s Agriculture Department today announced that it will impose a new 15-cent charge on all fresh Christmas trees—the Christmas Tree Tax—to support a new Federal program to improve the image and marketing of Christmas trees.
In the Federal Register of November 8, 2011, Acting Administrator of Agricultural Marketing David R. Shipman announced that the Secretary of Agriculture will appoint a Christmas Tree Promotion Board. The purpose of the Board is to run a “program of promotion, research, evaluation, and information designed to strengthen the Christmas tree industry’s position in the marketplace; maintain and expend existing markets for Christmas trees; and to carry out programs, plans, and projects designed to provide maximum benefits to the Christmas tree industry” (7 CFR 1214.46(n)). And the program of “information” is to include efforts to “enhance the image of Christmas trees and the Christmas tree industry in the United States” (7 CFR 1214.10).

more bafflegab here:

Obama Couldn't Wait: His New Christmas Tree Tax

I am not sure why anybody cares about the Xmas tree industry in the first place. Artificial trees work just fine and don't cost a tree each year. Also with all the other issues out there, this one seems the most minor. But adding .15 to the price tag would not be my first choice in helping an industry if it was going to help.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Really? I've only ever heard secularists argue it, not immigrants.

I am not sure why anybody cares about the Xmas tree industry in the first place. Artificial trees work just fine and don't cost a tree each year. Also with all the other issues out there, this one seems the most minor. But adding .15 to the price tag would not be my first choice in helping an industry if it was going to help.

real tree farms are better for the environment than manufacturing plants, and real trees are easier on landfills.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I prefer the terms "coniferous" or :"spruce" to "Xmas trees."

You might prefer those terms, but they don't mean the same thing.

Let's face it, we should ensure that we remember Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, who were the ones who made Christmas Trees into the tradition that it is.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Really? I've only ever heard secularists argue it, not immigrants.

You're partly right, a lot of this type of sh*t happens when people who can not mind their own business start speaking up on behalf of others. Famous case in point was the Eastern European fellow in Vancouver who operated a perogy restaurant. His name was Bill Konik, but HE dubbed himself "Hunky Bill". A lot of old women were up in arms at such a racial slur. :lol:

I prefer the terms "coniferous" or :"spruce" to "Xmas trees."

Here you go "calling a spade a spade again"! :lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I would have thought re-using the same tree for 6-10 years would be a savings.

Also, not a fire hazard and allowed in apartments.

We used a fake tree for a while because it would have gone to the dump otherwise, but no, when I researched what to replace it with when it got nasty, environmental groups really frown on them, especially since the entire time a christmas tree is growing, it's an environmental benefit.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
real tree farms are better for the environment than manufacturing plants, and real trees are easier on landfills.

Right on, Karrie, not to mention they have a nicer aroma! :smile:

You might prefer those terms, but they don't mean the same thing.

Let's face it, we should ensure that we remember Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, who were the ones who made Christmas Trees into the tradition that it is.

Did that tradition not start in Germany?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
We used a fake tree for a while because it would have gone to the dump otherwise, but no, when I researched what to replace it with when it got nasty, environmental groups really frown on them, especially since the entire time a christmas tree is growing, it's an environmental benefit.

I did not know that. Thanx. Mute point for those of us in apartment buildings that don't allow them.

In this case, I can only see how an extra tax will do nothing but help this industry.

(did I get the right colour for sarcasm)?