The Fed Wants to Be Your Facebook Friend

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The Federal Reserve is planning on monitoring what you say about it on social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook. As first reported on Zero Hedge, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York is soliciting proposals from developers for a "Social Listening Platform" that will monitor "the primary social media platforms – Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, Forums and YouTube."
The Fed also states the "Social Listening Platform" to "Handle crisis situations, "Continuously monitor conversations," "Identify and reach out to key bloggers and influencers," and that the software "be able to aggregate data from various media outlets such as: CNN, WSJ, Factiva etc."
The Fed is requesting that all information is provided in real-time and that "sentiment analysis" be a central feature of the developed software.
In other words, the Fed wants anything said about it on a social platform to be categorized as "positive, negative or neutral."
Although the Fed claims its move into the social realm is so that it may better monitor its public perception, some of the paranoids of the blogosphere are screaming Big Brother.
"Said otherwise, the Fed has just entered the counterespionage era and will be monitoring everything written about it anywhere in the world," Zero Hedge writes.
The Economic Collapse blog goes even further.
In other words, the Federal Reserve wants to develop a highly sophisticated system that will gather everything that you and I say about the Federal Reserve on the Internet and that will analyze what our feelings about the Fed are. Obviously, any "positive" feelings about the Fed would not be a problem. What they really want to do is to gather information on everyone that views the Federal Reserve negatively. It is unclear how they plan to use this information once they have it, but considering how many alternative media sources have been shut down lately, this is obviously a very troubling sign.
The Fed is looking to launch its new monitoring software, appropriately named the Sentiment Analysis And Social Media Monitoring Solution, in December of 2012, according to the Fed's request for proposal.

News Headlines

:lol:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Assuming anyone can develop such a program, it could be used by any government agency and corporation to spy on everybody. Red flags should be going off all over the internet like a five alarm fire

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Assuming anyone can develop such a program, it could be used by any government agency and corporation to spy on everybody. Red flags should be going off all over the internet like a five alarm fire

I think a person is crazy to trust Facebook! :smile:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Why would they need a program? They could hire a couple of flunkies to log into a computer and do it now. There is no expecation by anybody that anything said by anybody on the internet is or should be private. If you want to have a private thought, that doesn't doesn't make its way to the government, or your boss, don't post it.

That beeing said, I wonder if CC will be on its list of significant socail medial sights? Perhaps we should set up a lobby.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
**** Fascistbook. I don't care what you had for dinner, I could care less if you're happy, going to the mall or haven't changed your tampoon today.

When the founder of the damn thing calls people "stupid ****ers" and you stay on it I can only agree that he's right.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
If the feds wanted your specific info, they could easily insert a trojan horse or some other type of backdoor ( lots of gay terms)and rape you at will, most people are terrible when it comes to firewalls, AV etc

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I wonder if they can access PMs. That would truly be invasion of privacy. I can see why they would want a program to filter through Facebook, though. It would have to wade through billions of trivial and stupid posts to find anything that would be of interest to them. Still, why do they feel a need to be that invasive? What are they trying to hide or protect themselves from? Why does other's opinions about them make them so paranoid? Is the truth so frightening?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I wonder if they can access PMs. That would truly be invasion of privacy. I can see why they would want a program to filter through Facebook, though. It would have to wade through billions of trivial and stupid posts to find anything that would be of interest to them. Still, why do they feel a need to be that invasive? What are they trying to hide or prtect themselves from? Why does other's opinions about them make them so paranoid? Is the truth so frightening?

It could be just some middle manager bureaucrat's 'great idea'. I really am not concerned about this at all. It seems like a waste of money and effor to me for any govt or govt-like entitiy but there are hundreds of programs already wasting taxpayer money so whats 1 more?

I doubt they can access PMs, mods of VBulletin forums claim that even they can't. But even with PMs, once they are sent, there is no guarentte they will remain private for ever. Certainly having been on and off this forum for a while, there are plenty of examples where this was not the case.

Simple rule, if you want something truly private, don't post it in any shape or form on the internet.

ETA: If they really wanted to spy on you there is a better way to do it. A good chunk of the internet backbone is owned by the government, military or government agencies. They could just packet sniff if they really wanted to.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Big Brother loves you Cliffy and yes they do read your PMs. Even mail sent to your house or PO Box is all scanned and read. We have zero privacy. I bet they even know you dick size in fractional cubits.
I know they like to collect useless information, but dick size?

Speaking of useless things, I haven't used my dick for anything fun in a looooong time. They can add that to their collection of useless information.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
IdRatherBeSkiingSimple rule said:
You got that right. I don't' know how many "emails" I've had from "contacts" in my address book that turned out not to be from them at all.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If they can't use the info they sell it to a Corp who will. Ever wonder why ads on google match things you look up?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
If they can't use the info they sell it to a Corp who will. Ever wonder why ads on google match things you look up?

Ptros, if you are concerned about things like that, trying using a VPN or web proxy, preferably a VPN (virtual private network)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't have Fascistbook. I'm contractually obligated to avoid any form of social media that could potentially link me to a mining company and the location I'm working. And yes I do use a proxy.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I don't have Fascistbook. I'm contractually obligated to avoid any form of social media that could potentially link me to a mining company and the location I'm working. And yes I do use a proxy.

proxy's are better then nothing, but I would go the VPN. Route. You could connect through a VPN, then through multiple web based proxies. That's how anonymous does their magic, mixed in with a lot of highjacked wifi connections.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
This all sounds like the Fed is going to develop a program similar to what Radian6 does under contract for almost everybody.

None of this is new or earth-shaking.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
A tip I received from a retired Federal law person was to "Stay away from Facebook, Twitter and other mass methods of groups." How do you think this Muslim terrorist in Yemen was found? Another tip, don't ever steal a GM On-Star equipped vehicle. Even after the account to that instrument is closed it can be traced in moments. Enough said? Big brother is watching you a lot closer than you think.