Emails: Obama White House Monitored Huge Loan to 'Connected' Firm

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Newly uncovered emails show the White House closely monitored the Energy Department's deliberations over a $535 million government loan to Solyndra, the politically-connected solar energy firm that recently went bankrupt and is now the subject of a criminal investigation.

The company's solar panel factory was heralded as a centerpiece of the president's green energy plan -- billed as a way to jump start a promising new industry. And internal emails uncovered by investigators for the House Energy and Commerce Committee that were shared exclusively with ABC News show the Obama administration was keenly monitoring the progress of the loan, even as analysts were voicing serious concerns about the risk involved. "This deal is NOT ready for prime time," one White House budget analyst wrote in a March 10, 2009 email, nine days before the administration formally announced the loan.

"If you guys think this is a bad idea, I need to unwind the W[est] W[ing] QUICKLY," wrote Ronald A. Klain, who was chief of staff to Vice President Joe Biden, in another email sent March 7, 2009. The "West Wing" is the portion of the White House complex that holds the offices of the president and his top staffers. Klain declined comment to ABC News.

more...

Emails: Obama White House Monitored Huge Loan to 'Connected' Firm - ABC News

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Obama isn't alone on this. Our Governor Patrick gave a solar company (Evergreen Solar) a $58 Million Financial Aid Package to start up here in Mass. They built, filed Chapter 11, layed off 800, and sent production to China.

Gov. Patrick doesn't regret his decision and says it was right to invest in Evergreen. Huh? He lost millions of taxpayer money and he thinks it was the right thing to do?

Oh wait... it was Massachusetts tax payer money so no biggie. His nest is already feathered.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Loctus,
this is only scratching the surface. Look at how the US Forest Service convinced an Air Tanker operator (Aero-Union) to move from Chico, CA to Sacramento, CA and all at the expense of the contractor and then refuse to do business with that contractor which resulted in the loss of more than 200 jobs. Now there is talk about a lease from Lockheed ( a big, well funded US arm supplier) of several (about 20) C-130J's to replace what was a perfectly good airplane (P-3 Orien) in favor of spending more tax payers money. Why? That is the question of the day to us in the Wild Land Fire community. Right now they are leasing Ontario Ministry of Forests Bombardier air tankers at a huge additional cost to us. The business deals this administration is making daily should all be brought into question.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The government of------- you can fill in the blank they all make really stupid decisions.
The debt the federal, state, national and provincial governments are racking up is to
say the least obscene.
We the people are watching as the companies get funding and when they reach the
point of paying back to communities they move to the third world. We need to insist
that if they take money from any government agency they cannot move for a period of
_____________fill in the blank. Our money should not be used to finance companies
that move out of the country. period.
think we can't do it? America has maintained a blockade of Cuba for how many years
now.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
America has maintained a blockade of Cuba for how many years
now.

A "blockade"? Don't be ridiculous. We have an embargo and there is a big difference. The US refuses to trade with Cuba and Cuba seems pretty comfortable with it as well. The Obama Administration reached out to Castro and he subbed them. The embargo is the excuse for all of Cuba's woes.

A blockade means that we would be isolating the whole island from anyone.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Wait until 2012 and GM goes down the toilet hopefully followed by B of A and other "To big to fail" corporate giants. Sticking with Geithner (resident idiot savant) and Bernanke does have a price. So far they are batting .0001 and I don't think the average will improve next calendar year. We need some .335 hitters at that plate.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Basically they have for a long period of time isolated the Island of Cuba and denied
American Companies from doing business in Cuba in any meaningful way.
Cuba has skirted some of the problems but there are many areas that have not been
overcome.
I don't know if anything improper happened and neither do the rest of us, so we will
have to wait and see. I am willing to guess not much will come out of this though

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Basically they have for a long period of time isolated the Island of Cuba and denied
American Companies from doing business in Cuba in any meaningful way.
Cuba has skirted some of the problems but there are many areas that have not been
overcome.
I don't know if anything improper happened and neither do the rest of us, so we will
have to wait and see. I am willing to guess not much will come out of this though

The US simply has an embargo for US companies doing business with them. Cuba is hostile to us and we are hostile to them so to speak. The Obama reached out to Cuba when he first got in office and as I said, Cuba wants nothing to do with us. The embargo is what keeps him in power. Castro uses the embargo as a reason why things are so bad.

Personally I want the embargo lifted. I want that nation FLOODED with all things American.