A contrast in style and substance

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A very good to-the-point article from this gals' blog. That nose-in-the-air thing is getting very old... makes me sick.

President Bush, head bowed, is clearly praying. Obama is clearly doing something. Michelle’s head isn’t bowed either, but to be fair, I did see photos of the three, along with Laura Bush, with heads bowed for all four.

When I first saw this photo at Rush Limbaugh’s site, I was stunned at the contrast, and I wondered whether it was photoshopped, but we have seen Obama in this pose several times during his presidency. The photo has not been tinkered with. Another striking thing was seeing the difference between George and Laura Bush at Shanksville, at the Flight 93 Tenth remembrance ceremony, and Obama and his wife at Shanksville. On September 10th, Obama worked in a soup kitchen. Apparently, there were not enough people to dish up the soup, so the president wanted to make a difference. Surely someone would have stood-in for him. Have to ask, how many would not have gotten soup had he not been there? At Shanksville on that same day, President Bush spoke along with Joe Biden and Bill Clinton. There are several photos of Laura Bush wiping the tears away. Morph to September 11, and we see BO and MO walking through the hallowed ground, which has just opened to the families – the place where United Flight 93 plowed into the ground at 600 miles an hour – heroes aboard saying the lives of only God knows how many in Washington, D.C. MO has shed her chic little cardigan by that time, and is sleeveless. She is not 16, but she is shameless.

Source:

The Photo: Obama Bush – Obama and the Soup Kitchen | Maggie's Notebook

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Ah, so people can only pray if they tilt their heads down. I wonder if that's enshrined in the constitution? Maybe we should castigate Bush for not kneeling?

Are you people so pathetic that you can't understand, or accept, that people pray in different positions?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
On the same day that this unfortunate incident occurred, another player on the national stage violated the ordinary rules of conduct with equally offensive behavior. During the nationally broadcast 9/11 ceremony from New York, President Obama stood there in a Bill Clinton pose -- his nose perched high in the air -- seemingly unmoved even as others wept and bowed their heads in prayer. It was a troubling and incongruous posture for the leader of a nation commemorating the worst terrorist attack in American history.

Really, that's pathetic.

I think someone needs to publish a guide to the official way to pray in the US, because apparently, there are lots of dickless wonders who believe that only the protestant version is acceptable.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm not Christian.

I can't even fathom how many ceremonies I've been to, where there is a Christian or pseudo religious bent. I just simply bow my head at the appropriate moments, out of reverence and respect.

It's an easy and simple thing to do.

If it's to hard to understand that. Perhaps the issue isn't with those that point it out, but those that lash out at the former.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I'm not Christian.

I can't even fathom how many ceremonies I've been to, where there is a Christian or pseudo religious bent. I just simply bow my head at the appropriate moments, out of reverence and respect.

If it's to hard to understand that. Perhaps the issue isn't with those that point it out, but those that lash out at the former.

Gave ya one 'nose up' for that reply man. ;-)

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Head down, head up, who really cares. Personally, I think Rush should take a pill, as should the individual who wrote the piece, for one day at least.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Quite frankly, if you're praying with your eyes closed, how do you know what others are doing?

And what is the offence in raising your face up to the heavens (assuming you believe there is such a thing)? Some people do that, in order to raise their faces to God.

Again, I ask, is there an official US way to pray?

But IMHO, he looks like a disingenuous man disinterested and disrespectful. That is all.

Only because that's the way it is being portrayed. Me, I think they should be on their knees, crossing themselves.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Quite frankly, if you're praying with your eyes closed, how do you know what others are doing?

And what is the offence in raising your face up to the heavens (assuming you believe there is such a thing)? Some people do that, in order to raise their faces to God.

Only because that's the way it is being portrayed. Me, I think they should be on their knees, crossing themselves.

Well it is polite to look at someone while you are talking to them! :smile:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Forms of prayer

Christians at prayer

Muslims performing Salah (contact prayer)

Various spiritual traditions offer a wide variety of devotional acts. There are morning and evening prayers, graces said over meals, and reverent physical gestures. Some Christians bow their heads and fold their hands. Some Native Americans regard dancing as a form of prayer.[7] Some Sufis whirl.[8] Hindus chant mantras.[9] Orthodox Jews sway their bodies back and forth, plus at some point of prayer all Jewish communities partially kneel and bow their bodies[10] and Salah for Muslims ("kneel and prostrate as seen on the right"). Quakers keep silent.[11] Some pray according to standardized rituals and liturgies, while others prefer extemporaneous prayers. Still others combine the two.
These methods show a variety of understandings to prayer, which are led by underlying beliefs.
These beliefs may be that

• the finite can communicate with the infinite
  • the infinite is interested in communicating with the finite
  • prayer is intended to inculcate certain attitudes in the one who prays, rather than to influence the recipient
  • prayer is intended to train a person to focus on the recipient through philosophy and intellectual contemplation
  • prayer is intended to enable a person to gain a direct experience of the recipient
  • prayer is intended to affect the very fabric of reality as we perceive it
  • prayer is a catalyst for change in oneself and/or one's circumstances, or likewise those of third party beneficiaries
  • the recipient desires and appreciates prayer
  • or any combination of these.[citation needed]

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Here's a link to do your own research.

Office of the Chief of Protocol

Only because that's the way it is being portrayed.
You telling me why I think what, aside. It wasn't even this picture or article, that aided in the formulation of my opinion. Hence the specific wording in the post you quoted. I watched a great deal of the Shanksville memorial. I hold the passengers of Flight 93, in a special place in my heart. It was his demeanor, he just seemed to be put out, with all the descriptors I listed in my post. Because at times he did bow his head.

For all I know, I may have read his body language and demeanor all wrong, and he may have been suffering from a stiff neck.

Who knows. Who cares really. I know I don't. I just felt like depositing my opinion.

This topic isn't worth the kind of energy, anger and aggression that words like 'dickless wonders' brings to the table. That's for sure.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm not Christian.

I keep my eyes open and look around just to see how many other people are doing the same. Those with their eyes closed shouldn't notice if they themselves aren't being disrespectful. It's win-win.