Define American

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
As an immigrant who were told by several members on this forum to go back to where the Hell I came from, I can fully sympathize with Jose.

Both he and I can take solace - against malice - in that we proved ourselves, earned what we have and accomplished, rather than just be lucky to have been born in Canada/America.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
It is children like Jose who should be given citizenship, they did no wrong, it was their parents who broke immigration laws, and in many cases these children do not even know the language of the land of their heritage or birth. Jose even though he is now a adult has paid the price of to be an American.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
No person who enters any country in violation of the laws of that country should be rewarded with citizenship. No exceptions at all. Jose, of this film, needs to go back to Mexico and petition for LAWFUL

Sorry, but I would even apply that to my own father, if he were still alive. He entered the USA illegally, claimed to have been born in Minneapolis BEFORE Minnesota required birth certificates, he voted, and it turned out that he was CANADIAN.

Had I, or my full siblings, discovered this while he was alive, we would have turned him in ourselves.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
No person who enters any country in violation of the laws of that country should be rewarded with citizenship. No exceptions at all. Jose, of this film, needs to go back to Mexico and petition for LAWFUL

American law only requires that a person be born there to be a citizen, it says nothing about the parents of the person.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Jose asks, ''let's talk - what would you do?''

Well, suppose you are American born, a veteran or child of a veteran, who paid his taxes all his life, lived by the rules, and are the guy who applied for the journalist job he got?

Jose, of this film, needs to go back to Mexico and petition for LAWFUL

Jose was born in the Philippines. And yes, as a law abiding citizen I agree he should first apply for citizenship before being allowed to work here. Same for illegals from all countries including the many thousands of Canadians who are living illegally in the States. It's the law and must be applied uniformly at all times under all circumstances.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
We could go a little further. Here in St Paul, every time there is a war somewhere we get a massive inflow of refugees who can't speak a word of English but who get instant social services, food stamps, public housing, and welfare. How about stopping that as well at least until we have stopped the economic mess and every American who wants one gets a job???

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Children of illegal aliens who are born in the U.S. automatically are citizens of the U.S..

Yuuuuuup. Or even permit workers here in Canada. Mexican veggie workers can bring their familias with them when they come to Canada and while in Canda they get full rights including healthcare and if they they have a baby he/she is Canadian.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yuuuuuup. Or even permit workers here in Canada. Mexican veggie workers can bring their familias with them when they come to Canada and while in Canda they get full rights including healthcare and if they they have a baby he/she is Canadian.

I'm not quite sure that is accurate. From what I read if a child is born to parents legally in Canada they have the opportunity to become Canadian citizens... they do not automatically become one. Any child born to parents illegally is not a citizen.

In the US... cross the border, have a kid... and you are set for life.

S. Korea even has trips arranged for pregnant women so their child can be US Citizens as well as S. Korean. Granted they do not stay in the numbers like Central Americans do... but they get their ticket punched.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm not quite sure that is accurate. From what I read if a child is born to parents legally in Canada they have the opportunity to become Canadian citizens... they do not automatically become one. Any child born to parents illegally is not a citizen.

In the US... cross the border, have a kid... and you are set for life.

S. Korea even has trips arranged for pregnant women so their child can be US Citizens as well as S. Korean. Granted they do not stay in the numbers like Central Americans do... but they get their ticket punched.
Yes the parents do have to oppotunity for legal immigration. Who else will raise a Canadian baby other than it's famalia?

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
How to become a United States Citizen.

US Citizenship.info is dedicated to teaching you how to become a U.S. Citizen in the clearest, most accurate way possible. The entire naturalization process is outlined below.
How Long Does the Process Take?
Depending on where and when you choose to file your application, the period of time between sending in the completed application and the interview to become a U.S. Citizen can vary from five months to more than two years.

The swearing-in ceremony for receiving the naturalization certificate will then take place from 1 to 180 days after the interview, although in a few U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS, formerly known as the INS) district offices, it can take another one or two years.

The length of time for the entire process depends on the number of U.S. Citizenship applications the USCIS offices receive in each state. Additionally, making a mistake on your application can cost you even more time. However, by using our unique do-it-yourself service, you will be assisted throughout the entire process - helping you prevent costly mistakes to your application.

http://www.uscitizenship.info/ins-citizenship-process.htm

A lot harder to become a Canadian Citizen.

Becoming a Canadian citizen: Who can apply

To be eligible to become a Canadian citizen, you must meet the requirements in all of the following areas:
You must be at least 18 years old to apply for Canadian citizenship.
To apply for citizenship for a child under 18, make sure the following conditions are met:
  • the person applying is the child’s parent, adoptive parent or legal guardian
  • the child is a permanent resident, but does not need to have lived in Canada for three years; and
  • one parent is already a Canadian citizen or is applying to become a citizen at the same time. This also applies to adoptive parents.
Permanent resident status

To become a Canadian citizen, you must have permanent resident status in Canada, and that status must not be in doubt. This means you must not be the subject of an immigration investigation, an immigration inquiry or a removal order (an order from Canadian officials to leave Canada).
Time lived in Canada

To become Canadian citizens, adults must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before applying. Children under the age of 18 do not need to meet this requirement.
You may be able to count time you spent in Canada before you became a permanent resident if that time falls within the four-year period.
Use the citizenship calculator to find out if you have lived in Canada long enough to apply for citizenship.
Language abilities

Canada has two official languages—English and French. You need to have adequate knowledge of one of these two languages in order to become a Canadian citizen.
The citizenship knowledge test and your interaction with CIC staff will be used to assess if you have an adequate ability to communicate in either English or French. CIC staff will observe
  • your ability to understand basic spoken statements and questions, and
  • your ability to communicate basic information or respond to questions.
For example, as part of your interaction with departmental staff or as part of your written test or your interview with a citizenship judge, you will be expected to:
  • answer simple questions on familiar topics, using short sentences;
  • show that you know enough words for basic everyday communication;
  • tell a simple story about everyday activities;
  • speak about something you did in the past (or will do in the future);
  • give simple everyday instructions and directions; and
  • express satisfaction or dissatisfaction.
Becoming a Canadian citizen: Who can apply

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Define American? The term American can't be defined because it means nothing any more. Once it meant something. It was an idea. But the idea died. A nation based on a dead idea has no reason to exist. That's what happened to the Soviet Union. That's what is happening to the land south of Canada.