Police Brutality - Time to get pissed

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
While it's quite true that this system is built to take control through violence, the population is well armed. You see the only problem with that is that none of these civilians ever up hold the creed they are so busy swearing by petting their coveted guns. Show me where this does happen and it's some religious nut or single weirdo that had a big problem to start with. None of these law abiding gun owners are going to step up and open fire on some cop or group of cops wailing the **** out of someone. Not one of them.

We need checks and balances within the system to bring cops who abuse their power, hide behind the shield and use friends to cover up their abuse of authority. Giving everyone a gun sure isn't going to stop anyone.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
While the video supplied is a bit skewed and doesn't exactly tell the whole story in many of the cases (but I'm not justifying the actions of the police involved either) if they want someone to put their hands behind their back and stop resisting arrest, wouldn't it make sense to stop beating the crap out of them?

It's reflex for any human to curl up and try to protect themselves when being attacked, and thus, you can not expect the person you're trying to arrest to lay flat and let you cuff them while they're also being beaten by a stick or punched in the face at the same time.

While many of the shots don't exactly explain the situation they were taken from (Though we all know about the Robert Dziekanski incident) the one where a guy was riding a bike and shoved off by a cop with no warning is clearly an offense by the officer.

While it's quite true that this system is built to take control through violence, the population is well armed. You see the only problem with that is that none of these civilians ever up hold the creed they are so busy swearing by petting their coveted guns. Show me where this does happen and it's some religious nut or single weirdo that had a big problem to start with. None of these law abiding gun owners are going to step up and open fire on some cop or group of cops wailing the **** out of someone. Not one of them.

We need checks and balances within the system to bring cops who abuse their power, hide behind the shield and use friends to cover up their abuse of authority. Giving everyone a gun sure isn't going to stop anyone.

The problem is that if you pull a gun on a police officer, you'll be shot & killed..... if you try and defend yourself against an officer and punch them back, you just assaulted an officer of the law..... if you try and intervene in any other way, you're obstructing...... basically no matter what you do, you're in the wrong, they are not.

Now before I get jumped on what I have said, I know not all police are on a power trip and many are well respecting, good people. I knew many RCMP officers in Pictou County , NS. and besides my father playing baseball with them during the summer time, they regularlly came to the house for a few drinks and parties..... they're human beings like the rest of us.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
The problem is that if you pull a gun on a police officer, you'll be shot & killed..... if you try and defend yourself against an officer and punch them back, you just assaulted an officer of the law..... if you try and intervene in any other way, you're obstructing...... basically no matter what you do, you're in the wrong, they are not.

Now before I get jumped on what I have said, I know not all police are on a power trip and many are well respecting, good people. I knew many RCMP officers in Pictou County , NS. and besides my father playing baseball with them during the summer time, they regularlly came to the house for a few drinks and parties..... they're human beings like the rest of us.

I don't mean to jump on you.

My point being that all these loud talking guys who rattle on about the Second Amendment in the US and some crazy idea of ancient rights here in Canada, needing their guns because they are the only thing that prevents the government from doing just what is happening in the clip, won't do a damn thing other than surrender like a French man.

People are people and some people are bad and some bad people become police officers.
I know that when someone around me dons a white robe and hood and starts yapping about white supremacy, I tend to kick their ass and take their stuff.

We should pick a solution and get the hell on with it. If we aren't going to be armed and not taking crap from anyone then we better get busy reforming the system so that police serve and protect not beat and intimidate.

Revamping the SIU in Ontario is one place to start. But further than that, the old boys network that is the thin blue line needs to be exposed for what it is and the police system as a whole in this country needs a good damn house cleaning to get rid of the thugs and goons along with the lawyers that keep them out of jail. No different than organized crime at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I am all for reforming the police, but how? Petition the government? - get Avaaz involved. They are pretty effective.

In the mean time, how do we protect ourselves from police brutality? The same way we protect ourselves from any other criminal? Never go anywhere police are alone, always travel with others, always carry a taser, gun or body armour? Hire our own personal body guards?
Do you really think we can go up against the puppet masters?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I am all for reforming the police, but how? Petition the government? - get Avaaz involved. They are pretty effective.

In the mean time, how do we protect ourselves from police brutality? The same way we protect ourselves from any other criminal? Never go anywhere police are alone, always travel with others, always carry a taser, gun or body armour? Hire our own personal body guards?

Hell yes and it will come from little brother too. The more people upload the police brutality they see when it happens, the more the lid gets peeled off this sorry state of affairs and the more pressure can be put on politicians to legislate the changes needed.

Already Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair is looking to save his neck by changing the way the police interact with the public. No more kettleing by the police as a tactic of crowd control.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think if you 1. Obey the laws and 2. Be as inconspicuous as possible your chances of avoiding the thugs is pretty good.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I think if you 1. Obey the laws and 2. Be as inconspicuous as possible your chances of avoiding the thugs is pretty good.

Clearly you don't have any conception out side the retirement you've made for yourself.
Like the guy who got kicked in the face, sometimes it doesn't have anything to do with chance.
There were plenty of Germans who just went along with things, Hitler never broke any laws, he just changed them to suit his purpose.

The thing about standing back and letting others be abused is that eventually you're the one who needs the help of those around you. I guess it would suck if everyone had your attitude.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Clearly you don't have any conception out side the retirement you've made for yourself.
Like the guy who got kicked in the face, sometimes it doesn't have anything to do with chance.
There were plenty of Germans who just went along with things, Hitler never broke any laws, he just changed them to suit his purpose.

The thing about standing back and letting others be abused is that eventually you're the one who needs the help of those around you. I guess it would suck if everyone had your attitude.

Yapping again I see about something you know nothing about!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I'm supposed to follow the cops around and as soon as they apprehend someone I'm supposed to put the Full Nelson on them! Grow up. :roll:

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011

good points, I still think the best way to protect ourselves from police brutality is to be ourselves. I am a productive member of society, I don't go galavanting downtown to protest G20 conferences. If I was stuck in an airport for 18 hours, I wouldn't be tossing computer monitors at glass walls. I save my drunk and disorderly behaviour for the privacy of my own home, and/or the privacy of a friend's home. So there's very little chance of me getting pounded on be a police officer that has lost his cool because someone near me has spit or cursed at him 1 too many times.

There are thousands of people, if not millions of people in this country, that disagree with our country. Most of us express this through non compliance. Some take it a step further and challenge it in the supreme courts. We are not all activists, so I support the idea of most of us putting our money where our mouths are and support the associations that best represent us. I support the NFA. I have for close to 10 years.

Furthermore, I disagree with Unforgiven. The concept of second ammendment rights is more about fighting and opposing a government that has completely fallen apart, a government that is no longer observant of our constitutional rights. Our SCC has NOT fallen apart, it is still functioning.

I support the idea of armed conflict when necessary, but to suggest that now is the time? I don't think this is the time, I don't think we are even remotely close to the set of conditions where a citizen should be taking up arms and butting heads with the local police.

Besides, armed conflict is a last resort measure. Its not something we want hippies and granolas doing everytime they disagree with something.

They seem to have an abnormal fixation on getting arrested and beaten up. I don't understand them.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Two sure ways to avoid police brutality:

1. Don't get into situations where police may/must appear.
2. If you do, don't resist arrest.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In other words, do not leave your house at any time for any reason, at any time.

There is always an outside chance you will cross paths with police, but it's your choice how you deport yourself. We read of bizarre cases in the news, but it's only the bizarre cases that make the news.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If you want to crack down on the cops. Piss test the lot of them. We need new recruits for those big assed prisons.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yapping again I see about something you know nothing about!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I'm supposed to follow the cops around and as soon as they apprehend someone I'm supposed to put the Full Nelson on them! Grow up. :roll:

This is just what I mean. You don't know what to do, what you could do and obviously what you should do. And it's not just an ignorance thing with you. You don't even want to know what you should do. As the video shows, no one is being apprehended. They are being abused and assaulted by those in an authority position. You can't even tell the difference between an assault and an arrest. Pity for you and those around you.

Two sure ways to avoid police brutality:

1. Don't get into situations where police may/must appear.
2. If you do, don't resist arrest.

Stay inside and do as you're told.

You should follow your own advice.

If you want to crack down on the cops. Piss test the lot of them. We need new recruits for those big assed prisons.

Watch the unions go nuts over that.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Stop the steroids and other drug abuse in the police forces you'll cut the police beatings by a HUGE number.

Watch the unions go nuts over that.
Unions are all for piss testing. Majority of trade unions will send members with drug problems to rehab.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Stop the steroids and other drug abuse in the police forces you'll cut the police beatings by a HUGE number.

Unions are all for piss testing. Majority of trade unions will send members with drug problems to rehab.

Not the police union especially here in Toronto. No damn way will they let that happen.