Rush Limbaugh's ratings fall

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if Limbaugh announced soon that he is going to hang it up and retire his microphone. A great advance for human civilization, if you ask me. He'll try to make it seem like it did it voluntarily, but it's because people aren't listening to him as much as they used to.

New Ratings: Conservative Talk Ratings Fall | The Moderate Voice

You all most likely know who he is, but on the chance you don't, he's a legendary conservative/right-wing radio pundit who's been railing against liberals and Democrats for years. He began his popularity back when Bill Clinton became President. He had a little bit of a lull in popularity during the George W. Bush years because he didn't have a Democratic President to attack. With the election of Obama, he's supposed to have come back and be popular again, but it's not exactly working out.

Limbaugh has a rap sheet of controversial comments that goes, like, 170 pages on the website of liberal media watchdog Media Matters. Some of his recent things: mocking Japan in the aftermath of the earthquake there and mockingly speaking in fake Chinese during the state visit of the Chinese President.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Glenn Beck had his show cancelled at Fox News due to a ratings decline of 30% when he went on a quixotic, prophetic quest for conspiracies and lost patriotism in the last couple of years.

Limbaugh's show has been in trouble many times.. but there has always been a hard core of disgruntled, middle aged and older white males who take to being spoonfed his snake oil of a 'liberal agendas'.

In fact what they are being fed is pure neoconservative pablum in support of 'Free Market' interests of Global Corporations (which own most of the nation's radio stations). It has very little to do with real Conservatism, and in fact, might be antithetical to real conservative principles. It is all about Libertarianism.. and that is a much different thing.

Every now and again a few of them realize they are being scammed, but there always seems to be plenty of amorphous resentment out there looking for Rush to package into some supposed demon.. so it'll go on.. perhaps to a smaller audience.

Last edited:

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
This piece of work deserves the same treatment that Olbermann and other political quacks get. He is polluting the airwaves with garbage. Lets use the air time for something redeeming.

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
As long as Rush's work stays on the satirical side he hold his listenership. Once he strays out of that boundary into truly sincere Conservatiivism he sheds audience, there are many like me out there who enjoy him for the enterainment value but turn the dial when he starts pontificating.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
This piece of work deserves the same treatment that Olbermann and other political quacks get. He is polluting the airwaves with garbage. Lets use the air time for something redeeming.

Unfortunately, as Limbaugh, Beck, and other right wingnuts have shown, garbage sells. Sadly, intelligent political commentary in the USA is now practiced most effectively by comedians like John Stewart and Stephen Colbert. To put this is perspective can you imagine what it would be like if the top political analyst in Canada was Shaun Majumber? Not that I have anything against Mr. Majumber, but I would hate to have to rely upon him for intelligent political and social analysis.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Unfortunately, as Limbaugh, Beck, and other right wingnuts have shown, garbage sells. Sadly, intelligent political commentary in the USA is now practiced most effectively by comedians like John Stewart and Stephen Colbert. To put this is perspective can you imagine what it would be like if the top political analyst in Canada was Shaun Majumber? Not that I have anything against Mr. Majumber, but I would hate to have to rely upon him for intelligent political and social analysis.

There's also Rick Mercer & This Hour has 22 Minutes..... wait, is 22 minutes still running?

We'll always have Don Cherry :lol:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
All the old veterans are falling like bowling pins. Rush, Glen Beck, and even Larry King.
Kings, ratings went in the tank as well a while back and it was time to say goodbye.
The political and social world changed somehow and the old guards are no longer
relevant. I think the last of the nasty polarization may also be coming to an end in the
neighbourhood south of us. Donald Trump climbing in the saddle to ride with the
Republicans, with a Tea Party Posse, has almost made Sara Palin look like a sane
person and that sobered everyone up. My God what a cast of characters on the right,
it scared the mainstream into sanity and Obama will see nothing but blue sky for the
upcoming election

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I never did like him or what he had to say. I suppose his ratings drop has to do with everyone having heard the same couple of jokes often enough to hunger for something different. I sure won't miss the hypocrite.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The difference between Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh, is that Beck was deluded enough to actually start believing his spiel.. which was the death knell for his show as it became increasingly bizarre and incomprehensible.. and he started to unravel. I don't expect the same to happen to Rush.

Rush at heart is a PROMOTER, and a good one, but nothing more. He has no real understanding, and if fact cares little about political theory. He's interested in selling. For that he needs a product and an audience. Neoconservatism and talk radio provided that.. but if that hadn't popped up he'd be selling miraculous cleaning solutions as a carnival barker.. or the like.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The difference between Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh, is that Beck was deluded enough to actually start believing his spiel.. which was the death knell for his show as it became increasingly bizarre and incomprehensible.. and he started to unravel. I don't expect the same to happen to Rush.

Rush at heart is a PROMOTER, and a good one, but nothing more. He has no real understanding, and if fact cares little about political theory. He's interested in selling. For that he needs a product and an audience. Neoconservatism and talk radio provided that.. but if that hadn't popped up he'd be selling miraculous cleaning solutions as a carnival barker.. or the like.

They are all just entertainers, selling advertising and self promoting. Why anyone takes them seriously, I can't figure it out. When the interviewer or reporter becomes more important than the subject of the interview or story, they have failed.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The report is from one station in a Blue state. It is a non-story. John Avalon is a dyed in the wool liberal no matter how he tries to portray his independence.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The report is from one station in a Blue state. It is a non-story. John Avalon is a dyed in the wool liberal no matter how he tries to portray his independence.

So are Rush's ratings falling or not?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Yes they are:

The just-released Arbitron report reveals that a lot less people are listening to right-wing talk radio. With a lull in ratings since November, Rush Limbaugh had a 3.0 share of listeners for his radio time slot, which is a 33% slide from October and from last April, reports Crain's Business.
Meanwhile, The Sean Hannity Show was reported to be down 28% from its peak numbers in the fall.
Interestingly, numbers for Don Imus' Imus in the Morning were said to be up year over year.
Premiere Radio Networks, which syndicates the shows, tells Crains they are not worried: Limbaugh and Hannity “continue to be No. 1 and No. 2."

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Poor, poor right wing radio hosts! Their ratings are truly pathetic! They are surely going down the tubes! Nobody listens to them any more! They are going bankrupt!

But in spite of all that, it is safe to say that any and all left-wing radio host (probably only surviving with support from secret donations from the likes of that despicable Hungarian Jew, Gyorgy Soros) would give their eye-teeth, their wives and their kids college funds for rating like Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck and Levin are getting.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
What is the point of using descriptors like "Hungarian" and "Jew"? They have absolutely no value whatsoever in the context of your post, just wasted words. And the use of such words inevitably lead to questions about whether or not the use of those words was pejorative...

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
What is the point of using descriptors like "Hungarian" and "Jew"? They have absolutely no value whatsoever in the context of your post, just wasted words. And the use of such words inevitably lead to questions about whether or not the use of those words was pejorative...

Being of Hungarian birth, I am profoundly ashamed and embarrassed by having to share the same country of birth with a piece of sub-human trash like Soros. I mentioned the fact that he is Jewish, because he is every bit as despicable a Jew as he is a despicable Hungarian.

His ill-gotten billions support a wide range of organizations and ideas that no decent person could ever agree with or support.

Including left-wing everything.

Hence my post.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Being of Hungarian birth, I am profoundly ashamed and embarrassed by having to share the same country of birth with a piece of sub-human trash like Soros. I mentioned the fact that he is Jewish, because he is every bit as despicable a Jew as he is a despicable Hungarian.

So when your opinion is that he is sub-human trash, then it should be irrelevant what nationality of human he is, or what human religion he belongs to.

And considering you feel that Canadians who are Canadians owing to their place of birth, as you call it, blind dumb luck, then I'm not sure why you would feel ashamed or embarrassed about another who through dumb blind luck was born in the same country you were.

Strange....