Jon Stewart vs. Bill O'Reilly

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The problem O'Reilly has with Stewart, is that O'Reilly is a partisan hack trying to sell his views while Stewart is no where near as extreme in his views: as much as Republican pundits want to paint a New Jersey jewish boy (can you get much more of a conservative demographic to start from?) as a liberal extremist, he's at worst a moderate.

Stewart is perfectly willing and does take shots at both sides... which makes him in some ways, comedian or not, a better purveyor of information than most media talking heads because he does take issue with the insane BS on both sides of the aisle in American politics. And when I think about that, it does trouble that the media, which is supposedly there to help keep governments honest, has lost that ambition.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'm really impressed with the way Stewart can win a debate without making the other person look bad. I'm sure he does his fair share of mudslinging, but knows how to wrap it up in an amicable package.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
The problem O'Reilly has with Stewart, is that O'Reilly is a partisan hack trying to sell his views while Stewart is no where near as extreme in his views: as much as Republican pundits want to paint a New Jersey jewish boy (can you get much more of a conservative demographic to start from?) as a liberal extremist, he's at worst a moderate.

I don't know, O'Reilly said he had a lot of respect for Stewart. He doesn't agree with him, I don't think he has a problem with him.

Stewart has been leaning pretty distinctly to the left lately, and perhaps just coincidentally, hasn't been at his funniest lately. Oh well, I guess everyone has dry spells. :)

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I think those two get together once in a while to boost their individual ratings.
Lefties watch them go at it and see O'Reilly as getting a pie in the face because it's what they want to see.....
And the one on the right see the same thing happening to Jon Stewart.......

It's all a matter of perspective, that independent thinkers see right through:lol:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Jon Stewart could not go through a single show without yelling and shouting obscenities. O'Reilly NEVER uses obscenities, and needs to be really riled up to shout.

O'Reilley always have an opposing (i.e. Left-oriented) view. Stewart, not so much.

O'Reilley's strongest term to be offensive or derogatory is 'pinhead'. Stewart, not so much.

O'Reilly has been on the air and ruled his time slot for a decade. Stewart, not so much.

Stewart is undeniably a smart person, but all his act is written by some thirty writers. O'Reilly, not so much.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Jon Stewart could not go through a single show without yelling and shouting obscenities. O'Reilly NEVER uses obscenities, and needs to be really riled up to shout.

O'Reilley always have an opposing (i.e. Left-oriented) view. Stewart, not so much.

O'Reilley's strongest term to be offensive or derogatory is 'pinhead'. Stewart, not so much.

O'Reilly has been on the air and ruled his time slot for a decade. Stewart, not so much.

Stewart is undeniably a smart person, but all his act is written by some thirty writers. O'Reilly, not so much.

OK I am a fan of Stewart's but I think you're missing some things...

a) Stewart's audience is OK with some expletives being used in incredulity/frustration... we all feel that way. O'Reilly shouts down his guests a lot more often than Stewart shouts profanity.

b) Stewart doesn't always have a "dissenting" view because he doesn't represent a particular view: he takes shots at public figures being assinine. The comment was made that he's not been having as easy time lately but I think that is in part because Obama, whether you agree with his policies or not, isn't the outright buffoon that Bush Jr. was. The Bush administration was a comic's dream. Obama's administration may be controversial at times but from a comedic standpoint, the most ridiculous things are coming from the Republicans in the form of things like the "Birther" crap.

c) O'Reilly doesn't use language to be derogatory, instead he uses volume to shout people down. Personally, I'm not OK with that style: I want to hear BOTH sides so I can decide who the real "pinhead" is. In this clip, O'Reilly was the one who was more prone to interuptions and increasing his volume, instead of letting his arguments face off against Stewart's.

d) Stewart may not "rule" his timeslot like O'Reilly, but you need to look at his competition: the Daily show goes against late night heavyweights and still pulls enough viewship to keep on the air for over a decade... which is every bit as impressive as O'Reilly's claim.

e) O'Reilly has a staff too. The fact that Stewart was able to confront and debate O'Reilly as civilly and factually as this clip shows that he is intelligent and well prepared, which many of his detractors seem to miss when they critique him. If he ever had political aspirations, I think he could well be a force but I don't get the feeling he does.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Stewart has a comedy show. O'Reilly has a pseudo news show. Why try and compare them?