HP Slate 500 coming Friday, worthy iPad opponent

Tony The Bot

Electoral Member
Nov 2, 2009
Cyberland
www.canadiancontent.net
HP Slate 500 coming Friday, worthy iPad opponent
Posted via Canadian Content

HP Slate 500 coming Friday, a worthy iPad opponent.

It's the moment consumers have been waiting for: the release of a worthy iPad competitor.

Hewlett-Packard (HP) will release the much-anticipated Slate tablet PC on Friday, October 29th with similar specifications to the iPad but at a much more affordable price when considering the ball and chain tied to current Apple products.

Windows 7 offers on-the-go tech-savvy consumers much more variety on what they're able to do on the go with a tablet PC.

Instead of featuring the infamous iOS, the new product will run on Microsoft's Windows 7. Not only will it have a better operating system, it's powered by an Intel Atom 1.86 GHz processor (512 KB L2 cache, 533 MHz FSB) sporting 2GB of RAM with a 64GB solid state HDD.

At an unusually high price point for HP products, the new tablet PC will start off at US$699 with the home version of Windows and edging up a little higher at US$799 for those choosing Windows 7 Professional.

On wireless capabilities, the Slate will feature WiFi and support for Bluetooth devices, minus 3G. Lacking 3G might be the real blow for HP if it's expected to compete against rival Apple.

Though the device is aimed at business users, the HP Slate 500 may well be the best choice for affordable, yet powerful tablet PC running Windows 7 for 'power-consumers' and those annoyed by the lack of freedom with iPads.

Original Article: http://www.canadiancontent.net/commtr/hp-slate-500-coming-friday-worthy-ipad-opponent_1018.html

beavtm

Oct 29, 2010
Unlike the iPad (which I own, along with a Kindle), the Slate 500 has a USB port, which can open the world to 3G. Therefore you can get 3G and not be tethered to AT&T at this time (and soon Verizon). To add to the article the price includes a cover and docking station (which opens the USB to 2 additional slots). Each of my devices has their merits and strong points. When asked, as being an owner of all three, I can tell people which device is best for their needs and budget. My only concern are the large number of people out there that have to bash something they've never owned in order to help bolster their own purchase decisions.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I would not buy an tablet running Windows 7. Windows 7 is an operating system designed for traditional computers with a keyboard and a mouse, any sort of touch functionality is an afterthought. If it were to run Windows 7 Mobile it might be a more worthy contender.

Also, HP purchased Palm earlier this year and there are plans to release Palm tablets in the future so this windows 7 tablet is probably going to be a one-off curiosity from HP.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Hey Durka, I don't agree completely with you. My current all-in-one PC has a touch screen and if my keyboard batteries are charging and I really need to do something, using the touch screen is pretty handy and possible. There are also a couple of games that came with the PC which are designed for using on the touch screen.

I actually rarely ever use my touch screen because I hate fingerprints, but I'd give usage experience a grade of 7/10.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Hey Durka, I don't agree completely with you. My current all-in-one PC has a touch screen and if my keyboard batteries are charging and I really need to do something, using the touch screen is pretty handy and possible. There are also a couple of games that came with the PC which are designed for using on the touch screen.

I actually rarely ever use my touch screen because I hate fingerprints, but I'd give usage experience a grade of 7/10.

Try to imagine the experience on a tablet though. ;)

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I agree with you either way. I think tablets are a fad which will pass at some point. I find them awkward to use and they offer very little extra convenience over a netbook. My Motorola Milestone, an Android-powered smart phone rarely sees the use of the onscreen keyboard. I couldn't imagine writing text messages on a regular basis on an iPhone.

psmither

Nov 10, 2010
This product is only available in the US though their website. You cannot use a Canadian credit card (just money order) and you must have an actual US address (not PO Box or UPS Store as it is a re-shipper).

Not really easy for a Canadian to get one of these.

I would like one - how do we get them?

psmither

Nov 10, 2010
A tablet that could print could be useful.
There used to be a Canon BJ-10/20/30 printer series which was portable and about the sides of a closed laptop. I have seen them on EBay from $20 to $100. You can also get new battery packs for the on Ebay for about $30. Had aBJ-10 years back - gave ti to a friend - should not have done that. Still the best portable printers I have ever seen.