The Chevrolet Volt.......

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
2011 Volt | Electric Car | Chevrolet.com

Would you buy one????
I wonder what the gas MPG is after the initial 40 miles charge when you are also recharging the battery.........

First of all I wait about three years until they get most of the bugs out. One important feature would be having to handle at least 400-500 miles before needing a charge, otherwise they are useless as an all purpose vehicle. Then it's just a matter of what it's going to cost to run one over a 5-10 period, totalling the cost plus all the maintenance repairs etc. The site doesn't appear to have much information. :smile:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
2011 Volt | Electric Car | Chevrolet.com

Would you buy one????
I wonder what the gas MPG is after the initial 40 miles charge when you are also recharging the battery.........

The wikipedia page says that the 1.0 L four cylinder generator gets 50 mpg, and that the combined battery/generator gives it a city fuel efficiency of 85 mpg.

I think I'll wait until the next generation of electric cars are out, and there is some competition in the market before I look at one.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
how much energy went into producing the volt compared to say....a 1975 F100, for instance......and while you're thinking about that, ponder how much energy is required to reduce a volt back to dust as apposed to returning, say, a 1975 F100 to dust.............. just my thorts 8O my old '75 Effy didnt have a co2 sensor, let alone 4 of them, some have more.....the really weird thing is these vital bits of high teknologic, fail, REGULARLY!!! very, actually.......... my fear is where the hell are we putting all the old co2 sensors?? Surely that is a bigger worry than what my old Ford ever did........ once again, just my thorts :idea:

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In what kind of climate I wonder? I also wonder what a replacement battery (or bank of batteries?)
would cost for this thing?

A little more than your run of the mill D sized flashlight batteries. :lol: I've heard they are way up there.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I read the same article above, & this one too: New GM plant to assemble Chevy Volt batteries | Green Tech - CNET News

Each Chevy Volt battery pack will have about 220 cells and cost about $8,000, as previously announced by GM.

Now $8,000 is what GM will get them for (?) I'm assuming, so retail replacement would be......?

I wonder if the testing, including extreme temperature changes, factored in a winter lasting about
five months long, with two week stretches of -30c or not?

They tested in Kapuskasing, in temperatures ranging from -40 to +5 °C in the winter, that's 45 degrees of change...

And no doubt as the years go on, the batteries will be better. Swapping out batteries, I wonder how easy it will be on these first generation models.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The wikipedia page says that the 1.0 L four cylinder generator gets 50 mpg, and that the combined battery/generator gives it a city fuel efficiency of 85 mpg.

I think I'll wait until the next generation of electric cars are out, and there is some competition in the market before I look at one.

What do you mean
85 mpg miles per gallon or miles per charge?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
That's actually a bit complicated, because the EPA doesn't really have a category for the Volt, and they don't think their test is fair, in that the fuel economy is very high. During the test, the Volt will complete 85% of the EPA test without ever using the gasoline generator. So in the test they end up getting a fuel economy of over 100 mpg. The EPA thought this unfair, and made a new test for the Volt, so that it would have to complete the test with it's batteries nearly fully charged, which is ludicrous. I mean how many people fill their gas tank every single time they drive?

I'm on 1/4 of a tank right now in my car...

So, the gasoline generator will get close to 50 mpg, but it's not used until the battery charge drops down below 25% or something like that. When you add it all up, you get close to 85 miles worth of pavement for one gallon of gasoline, assuming that you started your trip on a full charge, and your driving habits are close to that which Chevy used to test the vehicle.

Of course that goes the same for other vehicles too. My Echo doesn't get quite the same fuel economy as the sticker says, but that's because I have a heavy foot :D