automated systems - how long to go?

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
so I was discussing this with someone at work while I was working on their issues.

how long do you think it'll be until we are living in a world where convenience will be bigger than ever?

for example
- voice automated washer and dryer
- call your home to set a bath and prep the house temperature for 22 c.
- turn off your TV if you forget from another room by saying it out loud.

what do you think is missing at this point from making it a reality? and cost effective?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
what do you think is missing at this point from making it a reality? and cost effective?

I've started avoiding stuff with computer relays wherever possible. That snazzy new washer? Replacing the computer panel in it costs more than the washer did in the first place. That impressive programmable thermostat? When it goes haywire, it REALLY goes haywire. The fancier it is and the more it does, the more likely it is it will break and the more expensive it is when it does.

I think some people will have automated homes, yes, but I think most reasonable people can wait 5 minutes for the house to warm up when they get home.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
We already do....

- voice automated washer and dryer

My washer makes me talk whenever it pours water on the floor or tries to kick out a wall.

Dryer? You ought to hear some of the words my clothesline generates

- call your home to set a bath and prep the house temperature for 22 c.

It's called a telephone

- turn off your TV if you forget from another room by saying it out loud.

"Hey, Babe, kill the TV ... please

Seriously, it's coming - and Maytag repairmen everywhere are getting ready for all the crazy repair bills

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
ya but that's with anything new that has come out since the 40's. you can't ever expect something to never have a problem.

Nope, I can't. But, I also have a cost/reward balance in my head. Is it going to cost me more in money and aggravation than it saves me in convenience? If so, I don't want it. It just makes no sense to spend big bucks on automating everything around me.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
I doubt we'd get to that point. Someone will always make the cheaper option.

ya but it's like cars.

majority of Cars today sold are front wheel drive and All-Wheel drive. I don't know if there are any new cars out there today that are Rear-wheel drive.

and I mean regular everyday cars. not your fancy $300,000 type cars.