What is LG OOD auto firmware (Lg Odd Auto Firmware Update)

#juan
" LG ODD auto firmware"

Over the last week this thing has tried several times to get onto my computer. This morning I turned the computer on and went to pour a cup of coffee. When I got back "LG ODD auto firmware" was half-way through loading a large up-date. I cancelled it and went to add/remove programs and got rid of it...I think?

Anyone else see this thing?

AnnaG
My hubby is attacking your computer in an odd manner. lol

Seriously, it seems to have something to do with Samsung stuff, though. What's ODD Firmware Update? (external - login to view)

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaGView Post

My hubby is attacking your computer in an odd manner. lol

Seriously, it seems to have something to do with Samsung stuff, though. What's ODD Firmware Update? (external - login to view)

Another thing it does is try to give you an update in Korean. I don't even know what the program does..........

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Another thing it does is try to give you an update in Korean. I don't even know what the program does..........

lol Is Samsung Korean?
I get the same thing about Japanese updates with my laptop because it's a Sony.

Anyway, here's a good description:

update for LG ODD auto firmware--what is it? - Tech Support Forum (external - login to view)

Might also want to try www.mybleepingcomputer.com (external - login to view)

Dexter Sinister
I've seen this thing too, on XP and Vista. Part of the default driver installation of an LG brand optical drive is this updater, all it's trying to do is download and install new firmware for the drive. It's harmless as far as I know, but the drive works fine right out of the box too, so there's no urgent need for the update. It's been a while since I installed those LG drives, but my memory is that if you select a custom rather than the default install (which I always do, for everything, given the chance) for the drivers you can leave out that updater thing.