PDF problems

jambo101

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
Every time some one sends me a file in PDF format i cant open it, all i get is a window that asks me to save it or run it pressing either just keeps giving me the same window giving me the same options,trying to download Adobe just gives me a window saying its already installed,i'm running Windows Vista..what am i doing wrong??

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Every time some one sends me a file in PDF format i cant open it, all i get is a window that asks me to save it or run it pressing either just keeps giving me the same window giving me the same options,trying to download Adobe just gives me a window saying its already installed,i'm running Windows Vista..what am i doing wrong??
You're running Vista. lol Kidding. Try uninstalling Adobe and then d/l latest version and install that.

jambo101

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
Tryng to uninstall the Adobe programs is proving futile as i'm getting windows telling me its already uninstalled:-?which is kinda weird as its still on my list of programs, and when i try to download a new version of Adobe it tells me its already installed:banghead: Is there something i'm not doing in the opening of the file?Seems my only options are save or run neither of which gives me the document.

MHz how does this Foxit reader work? if i recieve a pdf file will it automatically default to opening in the Foxit reader?

Last edited:

endr

Sep 25, 2009
Foxit Reader is a better option for pdf viewing, is a much more lighter program then Adobe Acrobat and easy to use. Just download it (is free), install it and open PDFs. If it doesnt open by default with Foxit then u have to associate it by going to open with menu and choosing Foxit Reader and dont forget to check the option that says "always use the selected program to open file".

fubbleskag

noYOUshutup
Sep 10, 2004
Indiana, IN
www.speedofwood.com
it sounds like maybe the default application for PDF documents has been changed on your system to Internet Explorer, which is then asking you what to do with it - when you choose Open, it's restarting a vicious loop. try saving the document, opening Adobe (not the PDF) from your start menu, and then opening the document from Adobe (via File-Open). if that works, then you just need to update your default application preferences - right click on any saved PDF document, and choose Open With - in the ensuing dialogue, choose Adobe and make sure the "always open with this application" is checked.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Tryng to uninstall the Adobe programs is proving futile as i'm getting windows telling me its already uninstalled:-?which is kinda weird as its still on my list of programs, and when i try to download a new version of Adobe it tells me its already installed:banghead: Is there something i'm not doing in the opening of the file?Seems my only options are save or run neither of which gives me the document.

MHz how does this Foxit reader work? if i recieve a pdf file will it automatically default to opening in the Foxit reader?

Don't know if you got this fixed yet or not, but if adobe says it's installed already, then make sure by going to the start menu=>All programs and adobe reader should be there in the list. Launch it. If it starts up, then it's installed. If you can't find it there, and your control panel "Program and Features" says it's still installed, then you got a registry problem which CCleaner can probably fix. It's CCleaner - Home

If you use CCleaner, make sure you use the Registry Backup feature (which it prompts you before any changes are made). that way, if something happens, you can go back.

If you install Adobe or Foxit, it should automatically associate PDF files to itself.

The other thing is, the person sending you these PDF's, do you know them? Adobe products have been popular attack vectors for malware recently (ie. PDF and Flash).