Email Client for Vista

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Out of curiousity, what are people using for email clients on their Vista machines?

I hate Outlook, so I never use it. I'm not too thrilled with the other Microsoft email offerings. I've always used Eudora, but I'm afraid I may have to change (shudder)...when my hard drive went kablooey, I replaced my computer with a new machine, that comes with Vista. And last night, for some reason Vista decided that my Eudora installation no longer exists, along with the 2 months worth of emails that I'd received.

So I'm thinking of going to something that might be a little smoother and reliable with Vista - thinking about Thunderbird, but I'm wondering what others are using.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Gmail, not a local client per se but since it is IMAP based, I can have multiple different clients access the server and always have my mail. If the OS dies on my iphone, I don't lose any of my data as it always on gmails servers. I have gmail act on behalf of about 4 personal e-mail accounts and it works great.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Seems to me there was a poll on these forums a while back about which browser we use. Mozilla Firefox was by far the most popular. I just assumed that most would be using the other Mozilla offering; Thunderbird. I've used Thunderbird for a few years now. I switched to Firefox and Thunderbird because of security concerns with I.E. and Outlook.

My wife currently uses Vista with Firefox and Thunderbird. I still have XP.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Man those google bots are fast.....I was looking up that geeky word of Durka "local based client" just 15 minutes ago and look at the second item here Google

Yeah I've seen that before. I've occasionally found my own posts coming back to me when looking for more, or better answers to the same subject.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
At work, I use XP and Eudora, but alas, not at home anymore.

Have you tried running Eudora in compatibility mode with Vista? Right click on the executable, properties, compatibility-put a check mark in XP. That will help some programs that have hicups with Vista & UAC

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
At work, I use XP and Eudora, but alas, not at home anymore.

I can't think of a way to get your e-mail records back.....Happened to me a couple times with outlook.....One of the reasons I switched.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I can't think of a way to get your e-mail records back.....Happened to me a couple times with outlook.....One of the reasons I switched.

If eudora works in a similar manner to outlook, there should be data files left behind which can be re imported to the app after a reinstall.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I've used Thunderbird on a usb stick on Vista with no problems...I never did check how that vista was configured because I don't like Vista and I was also using my own browser "portable firefox"

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I use the Windows Live™ Mail e-mail client.
So do I and it comes with Vista so I don't see why anyone would be searching for something else.
As to the google search someone did - choose any topic on here and you will find our answers on google.
My husband and my son use a usb stick all the time and all 3 of us have vista.