Will Bing.Com Survive

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Microsoft has entered to search engine wars and will Google survive this or are their days numbered?

I feel that Vista was a payback OS for the conviction of Microsoft for their business practices during the time they were growing.

No one likes Vista.

Is this a sign that Microsoft has forgiven and now it’s time for growth?

Time will tell

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Bing is a good search engine, but google has far too much traction and popularity to be effected much by this. Microsoft waited far too long to develop a search engine that can compare with google.

Vista is almost at the end of its retail life, Windows 7 will be released in the fall and it is a superior OS to Vista based on my experiences with both.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Let me see. 3.1, 95, 98, Millenium, 2000, XP, Vista. I had all of them except Vista at one time or another. I'm using XP right now and it is probably the best so far. Other than to make another 60 billion for Gates, why do we need windows 7??

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Let me see. 3.1, 95, 98, Millenium, 2000, XP, Vista. I had all of them except Vista at one time or another. I'm using XP right now and it is probably the best so far. Other than to make another 60 billion for Gates, why do we need windows 7??

It's not so much that you need it but it's a way for Microsoft to save face from the debacle of Vista.

Windows 7 is basically what Vista should have been. All things considered though, the operating system works out of the box without the driver hell that afflicted Vista's launch. Also, it uses considerably less resources, boots faster, good driver support, clean interface and it is generally snappy to use. I installed the release candidate 1 a month ago and I won't be going back to Vista.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It's not so much that you need it but it's a way for Microsoft to save face from the debacle of Vista.

Windows 7 is basically what Vista should have been. All things considered though, the operating system works out of the box without the driver hell that afflicted Vista's launch. Also, it uses considerably less resources, boots faster, good driver support, clean interface and it is generally snappy to use. I installed the release candidate 1 a month ago and I won't be going back to Vista.

My wife's computer is a couple years newer than mine. She is running Vista and likes it. An important point would be that like me, she only does a bit of word processing and a bit of graphics here and there. My biggest thing against Vista is my own inertia. I'm used to XP and I don't want to change. You know, if it's not broke.... All along, I've gone to new OPs because software pressure has driven me to the new systems. I was running 98 when I got my present computer. 98 could not be installed the new computer so I had to buy XP. I'll run XP as long as I can. Should have at least another five years....;-)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Between me\work\wife\kid there is 7 machines between the 3 of us. Only 2 run Microsoft and only 2 crash on average yearly. Guess which two?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Between me\work\wife\kid there is 7 machines between the 3 of us. Only 2 run Microsoft and only 2 crash on average yearly. Guess which two?

Your Cray super computers? :-?

I have 4 pc's, one running Ubuntu. None of them lock up on any sort of regular basis. It's not like it is the windows 98 days where they would crash about every day.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
No one likes Vista.

Liberalman, there is a shop in my area which advertises that it will replace Vista by Windows XP on your computer. I assume they must be doing good business.

One thing that I particularly don’t like with Vista is that it doesn’t have a DOS platform (at least so I have been told, I haven’t actually used Vista). I have several DOS based programs that I wrote a long time ago and I still use in my work. They run fine on XP, so I don’t see myself changing to Vista in a hurry.

I don’t know if Windows 7 has a DOS platform, that is something I will have to look into.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
No one likes Vista.

Liberalman, there is a shop in my area which advertises that it will replace Vista by Windows XP on your computer. I assume they must be doing good business.

One thing that I particularly don’t like with Vista is that it doesn’t have a DOS platform (at least so I have been told, I haven’t actually used Vista). I have several DOS based programs that I wrote a long time ago and I still use in my work. They run fine on XP, so I don’t see myself changing to Vista in a hurry.

I don’t know if Windows 7 has a DOS platform, that is something I will have to look into.

Windows has not been based on DOS since Windows ME. Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista & Windows 7 are all based on the NT Kernel.

You can still pull up a "command line" in the newer versions of Windows by launching "CMD" from the run windows.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Windows has not been based on DOS since Windows ME. Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista & Windows 7 are all based on the NT Kernel.

You can still pull up a "command line" in the newer versions of Windows by launching "CMD" from the run windows.

I did not say that Windows XP is based upon DOS; I said that it provided a DOS platform.

Up until Windows ME, the operating system was DOS, and Windows was a program which ran on the top of the operating system DOS.

Later on it flipped around. With Windows XP, the operating system is Windows and the DOS platform is a program that runs on top of operating system Windows.

The program is accessed by using the command prompt. When you get the C:> prompt, all the old DOS commands (dir, type etc.) work, including all the old switches (dir/w, dir/p etc.). And a few more besides, the DOS platform actually does more things than old DOS ever did.

All the DOS based programs work with the DOS platform. You can even write the batch files (.bat) to bundle together several DOS commands, like in the old days.

While Windows XP has this capability, Vista doesn’t (or so I have been told).

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I did not say that Windows XP is based upon DOS; I said that it provided a DOS platform.

Up until Windows ME, the operating system was DOS, and Windows was a program which ran on the top of the operating system DOS.

Later on it flipped around. With Windows XP, the operating system is Windows and the DOS platform is a program that runs on top of operating system Windows.

The program is accessed by using the command prompt. When you get the C:> prompt, all the old DOS commands (dir, type etc.) work, including all the old switches (dir/w, dir/p etc.). And a few more besides, the DOS platform actually does more things than old DOS ever did.

All the DOS based programs work with the DOS platform. You can even write the batch files (.bat) to bundle together several DOS commands, like in the old days.

While Windows XP has this capability, Vista doesn’t (or so I have been told).

Ok. 32 bit versions of NT based OS's allow limited DOS application to run via NTVDM (NT Virtual DOS Machine), which is not a "platform". 64 bit versions of NT based OS's do not support DOS or 16 bit apps in any way other then 3'rd party emulators.

The command line switches etc you are talking about are native to the NT command line, they may be similar to DOS but they are not. The only way to get DOS support is via "command", not "cmd" and again, that is limited to 32 bit NT OS's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTVDM

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Here is a list of a hundred and twenty five search engines. I've only tried a few of them but they seem to work. As far as I'm concerned, I see no reason to change from Google.

Web search engines

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Durka

Have you looked at the Windows 7 transformation pak for XP or Vista. I guess it is meant to give people a smell of Windows 7. To me it looks like XP with a few more bells and whistles. There is a link to the download on my last post on this topic. It would be interesting to see your comments on it.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Durka

Have you looked at the Windows 7 transformation pak for XP or Vista. I guess it is meant to give people a smell of Windows 7. To me it looks like XP with a few more bells and whistles. There is a link to the download on my last post on this topic. It would be interesting to see your comments on it.

I installed it on a second pc I have, overall it is pretty good. It looks kinda like seven without all the fancy effects.

Did it cause any slowdowns on your pc?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I installed it on a second pc I have, overall it is pretty good. It looks kinda like seven without all the fancy effects.

Did it cause any slowdowns on your pc?

Yes a few, but they disappeared after I uninstalled it. I don't know if seven is as big a RAM hog as XP but it but Maybe this Transformation pak added to that problem. It was interesting. I might go for windows seven if I can get it as a hundred dollar update to XP...;-)

sirlorenzo

Electoral Member
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
Enough about operating systems, is Bing actually good? or is it just another capable search engine? Any advantages over a simple Google search.