Locator chips for Guns???

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
What he is saying is all guns not made for military or police should have gps so that at anytime should someone want to know where that gun is, they can call it up on a computer connecting to a network that keeps track of them. I suppose the moment one stops transmission, enforcement can call or visit the location it was last pinged at.

Clearly that is to force gun owners to be up front about where and who uses their gun. If it's stolen, then the police know it's stolen should it ever turn up.

The technology is there but I can't see this being cheap.

The question I have is how much shock the gps can take when the gun is fired? You would need some durable electronics.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
What he is saying is all guns not made for military or police should have gps so that at anytime should someone want to know where that gun is, they can call it up on a computer connecting to a network that keeps track of them. I suppose the moment one stops transmission, enforcement can call or visit the location it was last pinged at.

Clearly that is to force gun owners to be up front about where and who uses their gun. If it's stolen, then the police know it's stolen should it ever turn up.

The technology is there but I can't see this being cheap.

The question I have is how much shock the gps can take when the gun is fired? You would need some durable electronics.

Pretty good idea for guns that are stolen etc. I imagine most gun owners would probably consider it to be a grave infringement upon their privacy though, assuming the cops or whomever can monitor it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
What is the problem with that?

Let me explain: First of all, that would require registration, and registration ALWAYS leads to confiscation.........

Secondly, it would be prohibitively expensive to install and to monitor.....and we all know who would be expected to pay.

Thirdly, if the weapon is going to be re-sold to drug gangsters in the USA or Mexico, or it is stolen.....the chip will be removed or deactivated.

What we (or they) DON'T need is more restrictive, expensive, and useless gun control schemes....

BTW, Unforgiven, I LOVE your signature line... :) (bows)

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Can't view youtube here... is it GPS based or does it do some signal triangulation?
I have been using GPS devices since they came on the market in '91 and to boadcast their location they need a battery and it would work like those fm walkie talkies where you know the location of the other unit......
But even if they do not use GPS technology and use triangulation to locate a unit a passive chip ...meaning one without a battery couldn't be located at any distance and to have one that could be located by satellite as he says in the video....I have my doubt that the technology exists.....plus a transmiter that could sustain the pounding of a gun going off................
I think he's putting on a show because most people don't understand GPS technology and he gets good ratings

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
What is the problem with that?

Let me explain: First of all, that would require registration, and registration ALWAYS leads to confiscation.........

Your car, your house, your mortgage, your dog, your marriage, your membership here all registration and no one is confiscating anything.

Secondly, it would be prohibitively expensive to install and to monitor.....and we all know who would be expected to pay.

How much are the people killed with guns each year worth?

Thirdly, if the weapon is going to be re-sold to drug gangsters in the USA or Mexico, or it is stolen.....the chip will be removed or deactivated.

Yep and the moment it is enforcement can be enacted to findout why it's removed and deactivated plus the location that it was when it was deactivated is now known making theft of firearms just a little more difficult on the criminal.

As well gun dealers who routinely sell guns to criminals will have to account for them.

What we (or they) DON'T need is more restrictive, expensive, and useless gun control schemes....

I don't know maybe it would help some.

BTW, Unforgiven, I LOVE your signature line... :) (bows)

Yeah yeah drop da bomb Homes! :hello2:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I think this whole thing got started because H&K started putting a chip in their guns called an RIFD that stores data, such as the serial number....the number of rounds fired ...etc. and someone is blowing it out of proportion and the anti-gun crowd is jumping on the bandwagon:lol:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If any technology can help then why not. How about a fingerprint reader before the gun can actually work. Hell, swipe a gun registration card to unlock the loading chamber.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
If any technology can help then why not. How about a fingerprint reader before the gun can actually work. Hell, swipe a gun registration card to unlock the loading chamber.
The "smart" gun technology has been tried before by several gun manufacturer unsuccessfully using a transponder that only while in close proximity would the firearm be able to fire.....and it wasn't to prevent theft that it was looked into.....It was in the event a crook were able to disarm a police officer and use his own gun against him/her...
They found that if the transponder was strong enough, the crook may be able to fire the gun within three feet ....too weak and the officer may not be able to fire his own gun....

A technology has existed for about 25 years has existed using a magnetic ring that you would wear on both hands...(for obvious reasons)......making the firearm useless unless you are wearing the ring...

It was developed so you could have your firearm fully loaded in your dresser drawer fully loaded at all times and your kid couldn't accidentally shoot himself with it....

But it was only feasible on large frame guns..( I won't go into the makes and models that this device could be installed onto because frankly ..it was so long ago that I had forgotten about it until just now)

But frankly...Its immaterial because all the reasons that anti-gun activists give for such devices that make the firearms unaffordable except to the filthy rich don't mean a thing to the crook who will simply disable that device when he steals it..

By the way I searched high and low for a device such as Montel william was referring too and can't find a thing.........if someone spots something....let me know......otherwise my first opinion on it will be right....That it was just a talk show host blowing hot air..........:lol:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Have it so that if disabled the unit won't work. It becomes the key to unlock it.

I have no doubt it could be done if the law required it.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The "smart" gun technology has been tried before by several gun manufacturer unsuccessfully using a transponder that only while in close proximity would the firearm be able to fire.....and it wasn't to prevent theft that it was looked into.....It was in the event a crook were able to disarm a police officer and use his own gun against him/her...
They found that if the transponder was strong enough, the crook may be able to fire the gun within three feet ....too weak and the officer may not be able to fire his own gun....

A technology has existed for about 25 years has existed using a magnetic ring that you would wear on both hands...(for obvious reasons)......making the firearm useless unless you are wearing the ring...

It was developed so you could have your firearm fully loaded in your dresser drawer fully loaded at all times and your kid couldn't accidentally shoot himself with it....

But it was only feasible on large frame guns..( I won't go into the makes and models that this device could be installed onto because frankly ..it was so long ago that I had forgotten about it until just now)

But frankly...Its immaterial because all the reasons that anti-gun activists give for such devices that make the firearms unaffordable except to the filthy rich don't mean a thing to the crook who will simply disable that device when he steals it..

By the way I searched high and low for a device such as Montel william was referring too and can't find a thing.........if someone spots something....let me know......otherwise my first opinion on it will be right....That it was just a talk show host blowing hot air..........:lol:

I also think the pistol that was being used for testing could only hold a small amount of ammunition(the clip area was mainly used for housing the battery for the smart pistol). Not very good if the officer finds himself in a shootout. I read an article on this a while back, so I might have the exact details wrong, but I am pretty sure the ammunition count is a lot lower in the smart pistols.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I think I found an article and a picture of the RFID chip montel was referring to and the maximum range for an "active" chip is 100 meters...."passive" chip is only a couple of meters...

Article on RFID chip

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
this will work against amatures and publicizing this in formation will give them (would be criminals) a heads up

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
If they want to build primitive illegal tools let em fill their boots.

Nope.

Pashtun tribesmen in Afghanistan/Pakistan build real weapons, modern ones........AK 47s, medium machine guns, semi-auto pistols........often in huts without electricity.....

A guy I knew fired a belt of ammo out of a home made copy of a German GPMG....damn, I forget the designation, but the WW II belt-fed 8mm that had a high rate of fire.......he was working for the UN in Afghanistan de-mining in the early 1990s.

The British Army actually bought tens of thousands of rifles from these guys in WW II. That says it all.
The Gun Markets Of Pakistan

Fascinating vid!

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Now, let's put this silliness to bed once and for all.

The idea of chip-implanted GPS (or whatever) as a gun control measure is idiotic because:

1. The technology does not exist.

2. It would be expensive.

3. It could not be placed in the action of the firearm...(vibration, heat, etc) and could therefore be VERY easily removed.......

Just silly.