Nanotechnology: A Panacea to End Racism?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
A very interesting (if somewhat controversial) application of nanotechnology was unveiled yesterday.

Dr. M. Sangazure of Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah said yesterday to Rocky Mountain News that he has come up with nanobots which can covert a black man into a white man (and vice versa).

It is only the matter of changing the pigmentation in the skin, a very simple nanobots process.

“From now on, if a black man doesn’t want to subject himself to racism, all he has to do is to take a nanobiotic course (similar to an antibiotic course) and within a week he becomes white.”

When asked if it doesn’t have overtones of racism to ask a black man to change to white identity to avoid racism, Prof. Sangazure responded

“Not at all. We are not forcing anybody to become white; we are simply marketing a product which makes that option available. Besides, it is totally reversible. All he has to do is take another nanobiotic course to become white again.

It also has applications for whites. If a white person wants to see firsthand the racism experienced by black people, there is no need for elaborate disguises and makeover, a week long course of nanobiotic (one or two capsules a day) would do the trick.

What about changing from brown skin to white (and vice versa)? According to Prof. Sangazure, going from brown to white is easy, but going from white to brown is more difficult.

“White and black are the two extreme of the color spectrum, brown is in the middle. It is easy to go from the middle to an extreme; you just let the process continue to completion. However, going from white to brown requires a controlled process and we haven’t perfected that yet. We are still working on it. So currently we can covert brown skin into white, but not the other way round.

The reporter asked the professor the possibility if the same kind of treatment being available to women. Can a woman become a man (or man a woman) to avoid workplace and societal discrimination? Or a man become a woman?

“The process is much more complicated, it is not as simple as changing the skin pigment” Prof, Sangazure replied. “You have to change the internal anatomy, internal organs. However, nanobots can do it, we are developing the technique. But that will take longer.

“But when we do market it, it will be revolutionary. Woman will be able to turn into man (or man into woman) from inside out, not only on the outside as plastic surgery does. The man or woman changed this way will be indistinguishable from those naturally born that way. They will be able to have children, live exactly the same life as naturally born men and women.”

“In fact, we probably will drive plastic surgeons out of business. It will have applications to gender reassignment, breast augmentation, tissue regeneration (for burn victims etc.), the possibilities are endless. Rather than expensive surgery costing tens of thousands of dollars, the patient simply takes a course of capsules.”

So, when will the medicine be available? “We are conducting FDA trials at present. Everything going right and assuming no obstacles, it should be on the market within a year.

What an interesting application of nanotechnology. I wouldn’t have thought of it in a million years. Now, if only they could come up with nanobiotics that will turn Muslim terrorists into secular Atheists (and while they are at it, to convert Fundamentalist Christians into secular Atheists)!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Happy April 1st to both of you. Great story but I was expecting a better punch line.
Our April 1st is for probably the first time in history, snowing! Light snow but still snowing. Some parts of the Island are to get 5 - 10 cm. I don't know how much we are supposed to get but by week's end it should be up to about 15degrees. Go figure.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
There was an April Fool’s news item on CBC radio broadcast this morning. The reporter reported that Hamid Karzai, the President of Afghanistan has signed a bill into law which severely curtails women’s rights, for Shia minority.

Thus, women are not allowed to leave home without permission of the husband, for any reason whatsoever. They are not allowed town any property and so on.

That sounded suspicious to me (for many reasons that I won’t go into). So I liked up CBC website and the news item was not there (there were other news items about Afghanistan, but not this one).

So that tells me that it was an April Fool’s joke.