Recycling water

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A thought has just occurred to me to save fresh water, but maybe it's already been thought and found unworkable, but I'll put it out there. Just simply diverting sink, bath and washing machine water to the toilet tank so when you flush it's not with fresh water. Is such a scheme feabible?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
In many places less lucky as Canada this is not a "option" but a required way of life. One does not take a bath, but rather quick squirts of shower water that is captured under the tub. This was is re-used and eventually used to flush the toilet.

Save water when showering or bathing

A quick shower can use much less water than a bath. However, high volume power showers can use more water than a bath in less than five minutes.

To save water, you could use a shower timer to reduce your time in the shower.

You could also fit a water efficient shower head to your shower. This can reduce the amount of water you use by 30 per cent without compromising shower performance. However, these shouldn’t be fitted to electric showers, as this can lead to overheating of the water.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Make use of greywater and rainwater

Any water that has been used in the home, except water from toilets, is called greywater. Shower, bath and washbasin water can be re-used in the garden. Guidelines for doing this include:

• only watering non-edible plants with greywater
  • making sure it is cool before you use it
  • avoiding pouring it straight on to foliage
You can also collect rainwater. The simplest method of doing this is using a water butt.

Saving water in your home : Directgov - Environment and greener living

The same can be said of rain water that is captured on rooftops and saved in cisterns..

Cistern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
A thought has just occurred to me to save fresh water, but maybe it's already been thought and found unworkable, but I'll put it out there. Just simply diverting sink, bath and washing machine water to the toilet tank so when you flush it's not with fresh water. Is such a scheme feabible?

Most of Europe. Water conservation is important in most of the world, here as well only we havn't realized it yet.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It's done in lots of places.

I'm reminded of a visit by some business partners from South Africa. When they were in their hotel room, there was the usual notice about towels, laundry, saving water. The next morning, they looked at me and said, 'we looked out the windows of the plane as we flew in...you've got lakes and rivers EVERYWHERE....what's the need to conserve water?????'