The Chip - The Credit Card Chip

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet but how do you people here at Canadian Content feel about everybody having to have chips in their credit cards?

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
Am I the only one that just found out about this? Cause I was wondering if this is true for anyone else?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I've got one with a chip and some places ask me to use my PIN number to authorise purchases. It's a little bit more security.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
No, I've had a chip in my card for quite some time. It is one more level of security. It can be an inconvenience if you make 3 errors in entering your PIN (These errors do not have to be consecutive. They could occur over several months), your card will be locked. This can be problematic if you are travelling outside the country and do not have ready access to the issuer's branches to reactivate your card. However, at least now you do not have to sign the merchant slip.

If you are worried about being tracked electronically, you are already - chip or no chip. This is not Big Brother's chip.

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
I just don't trust anything that has to do with all this technology and banking. I also don't like how they don't give us a choice for this option. The fact that they are shoving it down our throats bothers me.

But I've thought about it and I could see it being used as a tracking device that monitors what we spent for decades and will accumulate our debt. And of course it will be some crazy figure that no one will be able to pay off, effectively entrapping our future and unsuspecting generations in slavery. After all, someone has to pay the piper.

I could see that happening.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
You probably don’t’ get out of the country all that much, givepeaceachance. When I visited Britain three years ago, in 2006, everybody there had cards with chip in it. In fact, when I tried to use my credit card (with no chip and which had to be swiped), I had a bit of difficulty.

When I tried to use it to buy merchandize at the Gilbert and Sullivan Festival, he at first wasn’t sure how to charge transactions to a credit card without a chip, he brought somebody else. He tried and failed the first time. The second time he succeeded.

I tried to use my credit card at a big food supermarket, Morrison. The checker told me that she was not allowed to accept credit cards without chips. She called her supervisor, who swiped my card (evidently the checker did not have the authority to swipe the card).

I was there for two weeks, I must have gone to Morrison six or seven times. Each time the checker had to call her supervisor to swipe the card. I went to Britain again in 2008, the same thing.

The point of all this is that credit cards with chip have been commonplace in Europe for years. They are just coming to North America. Compared to Europe, we are in the Stone Age.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
They are just preparing us, increment by increment, for the day when we have a chip embedded under our skin. No more cash, just a credit/debit chip. All you have to do is run your hand over the laser reader.
I heard they are embedding chips in new born under the guise of being able to track them should they get lost or stolen. That is the Big Brother Chip.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I just don't trust anything that has to do with all this technology and banking. I also don't like how they don't give us a choice for this option. The fact that they are shoving it down our throats bothers me.

But I've thought about it and I could see it being used as a tracking device that monitors what we spent for decades and will accumulate our debt. And of course it will be some crazy figure that no one will be able to pay off, effectively entrapping our future and unsuspecting generations in slavery. After all, someone has to pay the piper.

Wow if your paranoid about the chip wait till you see what is next.. Check this out..

The display at the top right hand corner will be a code. It will be sent from a server that changes in some cards every 2 minutes.. Some cards will only have a display for other purposes but in some cases it will be to protect the card.

If the card is lost or stolen, they will be able to change the code system as soon as you call in. Of course this only works if you report the card lost / stolen as quick as possible..

The benefit is that banks will probably use this technology on lower interest cards for less fraud.. Less fraud, less interest costs.. So tels me my relative who is a bank manager..

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If you are concerned about this you should read up on RFID – It will in the near future be implanted in all cards you have in your wallet – walk thru the scanners at store and bingo – they have you – pick up a product from the shelf – bingo they have you – they will be able to tell how many times an item was picked before purchase –
For the last number of years when a person calls into a service centre for info, complaint etc – it would go to your phone number – locate the area you live in, tell what approx income level you have and guess what – those with the bucks get moved up first

But what they will be able to do with RFID scares the shXt out of me – Nothing you do in public will be private.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Hi Goober,
Even this thread, but not others here, sends a cookie (loyaltymagazine.com) to your computer (my software blocks it) because Andem and/or Sir Francis included a hot-linked graphic of a credit card in his post. Spyware and/or cookies track your every move on your computer. I don't think you can avoid it now!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Yeah the cards with chips are pretty common here in Europe, but moreso over in the UK. Since early 2008, those cigarette machines now require you to use your chip card or an EU driving license to buy cigarettes from them.

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
But you can delete your cookies though. And if your computer gets messed up then that's pretty much it.

I don't know what to think about all of this stuff. I'm just asking because it came to my attention recently and all started with the fact that I could NOT have a cc without it. So I either use this or not be able to spend my money via cc. The fact that we are all being forced into it with out any discussion or choice gets to me.

What I also find a little disturbing is how so far everybody seems ok with this kind of thing. Fine say I'm in the dark ages. I may be a little behind but at least I'm not apathetic! Which is worse?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
If you are concerned about this you should read up on RFID – It will in the near future be implanted in all cards you have in your wallet – walk thru the scanners at store and bingo – they have you – pick up a product from the shelf – bingo they have you – they will be able to tell how many times an item was picked before purchase –
For the last number of years when a person calls into a service centre for info, complaint etc – it would go to your phone number – locate the area you live in, tell what approx income level you have and guess what – those with the bucks get moved up first

But what they will be able to do with RFID scares the shXt out of me – Nothing you do in public will be private.

RFID is already outdated..

They have been doing that for years.. They could scan your card as you walked in at stores like Senza and Nike ( Magnetic Strips ) and know how much was on your Visa, MC or AMEX for at least 10 years now..

I am working with a Company that has developed a system that can tell exactly who walked into a store, Male or Female, what item they first noticed ( store sale sign ), what item they looked at and even what part of the item they did not like. This has nothing to do with "watching you" per say but rather a business getting the best bang for its buck..

As per my last posting here credit cards are moving away from passive RFID to active signal. It's a highly sofisticated version if you like of an RFID that is no longer close to its original form.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
What I also find a little disturbing is how so far everybody seems ok with this kind of thing. Fine say I'm in the dark ages. I may be a little behind but at least I'm not apathetic! Which is worse?

Givepeaceachance, you cannot stop the advance of technology, any more than you can seal a dike by putting a finger in it. Technology is advancing at breakneck speed and those who oppose it will be left behind, nothing more.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Hi Goober,
Even this thread, but not others here, sends a cookie (loyaltymagazine.com) to your computer (my software blocks it) because Andem and/or Sir Francis included a hot-linked graphic of a credit card in his post. Spyware and/or cookies track your every move on your computer. I don't think you can avoid it now!

Your welcome Spade :)

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008

Givepeaceachance, you cannot stop the advance of technology, any more than you can seal a dike by putting a finger in it. Technology is advancing at breakneck speed and those who oppose it will be left behind, nothing more.

Well, left behind where? To do what?

Your statement isn't enough. It substantiates nothing. Tell me more.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I just don't trust anything that has to do with all this technology and banking.

I assume you don't collect airmiles, then. Because the only purpose to airmiles is to collect data on what you purchase, so this information can be sold to other advertizers and stores.

givpeaceachance

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2008
I don't really care if they want to know what i'm buying. I don't buy a whole lot of stuff anyway and I don't see why that would be a threat. But it's the fact that they're demanding to know. What for?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Well, left behind where? To do what?

Your statement isn't enough. It substantiates nothing. Tell me more.

I thought that was obvious, givepeaceachance. In a few years the situation will be, either use the credit card with the chip, or don’t use a credit card. I think most of the new cards are being issued with the chip.

So the chip is coming, to refuse to use the chip is analogous to trying to plug the dike by putting your finger in the hole.