Where are all the hand held generators?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I was listening to a talk show on the weekend about the rising cost of government energy.

I have to wonder on why no one has invented a hand held generator to power household appliances.

All you do is wind them up and it produces the necessary power you need for a certain time period.

Individuals should be able to produce the necessary power to meet their personal need.

Companies are using this new power producing systems to strengthen the so-called grid that powers buildings.

The main concern of the community is the high-tension lines that are used to distribute the power to different locations.

There is hundreds of studies showing that these lines is hazardous to people that are living near the lines from miscarriages to farm animals getting sick and all kinds of cancers in people.

Since there is no alternative means to get the power to the people, they just have to live with the consequences.

People have to be able to produce power individually to power their own homes.

Hand held generators would be the next society changing invention.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Personalized power, and different methods of energy scavenging, will start to crop up only as the convenient power gets too expensive, or people start to care en masse about the health effects of power lines and such.

When you consider how much movement a city full of people creates, I'm frankly shocked that there isn't more energy scavenging already.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I bought hand-crank powered flashlights and a crank-powered radio for my kids.

The cool part of the radio is that you can use it to recharge a cell phone.

sirlorenzo

Electoral Member
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
I have an LED windup flashlight that works very well. The only issue I see is that it really doesn't produce much power at all. LED takes an extremely small amount of power, and even at that it still doesn't go long before you have to wind again.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Karrie is right. People already are starting to scavenge wasted energy, from waste heat and kinetic energy. Tokyo has been a pilot project for producing power for a subway system with foot steps. Every single step on the 0.4 mm plates produces a piezoelectric effect.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If we tap into all the calories stored by what seems the majority of Canadians we could heat Moose Jaw for a winter.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I prefer electric start to pulling a rope.
We do use solar and wind to run some remote lights around the farm and to charge the electric bicycle.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
we should be investing in renewable (solar, wind, geo-thermal) for small residential and commercial use, Instead of trying to make industrial sized renewable installations. These large scale wind, solar farms aren't viable for large scale energy. we should be investing in Co2 emission-less nuclear for large scale energy production. Pick Candu nuclear technology for Ontario – www.pickcandu.ca > Home

There is a guy with a show I think his name is Les Stroud, he does that Survivorman show, anyway, he built a place out in the sticks ofr him and his family that is I think compleately off the grid, but most solar powered and alternative powered. Off the Grid with Les Stroud is the name of the Documentry about it according to the Wiki.

It would be great I think if everyone in the large cities had solar power panels on their rooftops and a reverse feed meter so they could supply power back to the grid on days when there is plenty of sunshine. As it is roof tops do nothing.