A warning to all Staples customers

ldivall

Aug 20, 2008
As of Aug 15th, 2008 I have resigned from Staples Business Depot. I was employed as a Depot technician at the Sarnia warranty repair depot. I have ended my association with Staples due to discrimination towards me and unethical practices by the other employees.

I will start by describing my position, so that you can understand a bit better. I was a Warranty repair depot technician. Unlike the resident technicians that you would find in any given Staples location who handle all the software aspect of computers, the repair depot only deals with hardware issues.

I was hired on as part time with a possibility of full time. Needless to say I didn’t get a full time position. My number of hours had started to reduce, so I asked my supervisor if I could get more hours. He said it wasn’t a possibility and to “Do what you have to do.” I tried to find a second part time job, but I was given very sporadic hours that didn’t allow me to seek another job. So I did what I had to do. I was doing small computer repairs on the side to try to make ends meat. When Staples discovered this, they jumped right to a final written warning threatening termination if I didn’t stop. They were telling me that due to a conflict of interest I could repair computers part time for them or nothing at all. Aren’t welders and construction workers allowed to work on more than 1 job site? Why wouldn’t I be allowed? In my opinion they were holding me back in my field because I am a woman in a male dominated field.

There is also a lot of very unethical work happening in the repair depots. They use tape to hold down parts, super glue to fix broken parts, using broken computers to fix customer’s computers under warranty, having uncertified technicians working on computers, breaking customers computers then lying about it to them, and the main part supplier only deals with refurbished computer parts. The list of unethical practices can go on, but I think you get it. I refuse to work for a company that supports and defends these actions.

Since my job started there have been more male technicians than female, 4-2 at the Sarnia location. All the men are full time and all the women are part time. I can’t be sure for all of the repair depots, but in Ontario I only know of 1 other female technician in Toronto.
I was the only employee that had to get a bag check, with or without a bag. I asked other employees about the policy but nobody knew what I was talking about. I had made a complaint to my superiors but they all dismissed it as policy and that everyone was following the policy. It made me feel like a thief even though I’ve never stolen anything from Staples or any other store. I have never given them any reason to suspect me of theft.
Nearly every work day I was told to do computer repairs, while they worked on diagnostics. I was replacing defective parts, tearing down laptops, replacing every component within a computer. In other words, I was doing the grunt work. They were placing a diagnostic program cd into the computer and letting it tell them what part was defective. If that didn’t work, often they would reload the factory image of the operating system using the recovery cd’s that came with the unit. If all that failed, then they would actually take a look at the computer, or they would guess and order a part. However useful my repair skills may have been, every so often I would get in trouble for not doing diagnostics and helping them bring in additional profits.
The other technicians kept double checking my work, making me feel as though I was inferior to them. As though since I’m a woman I couldn’t possibly work on computers properly. I was the only person working in the repair depot that didn’t have a key to get in and I was not to answer the phone.
Inaccurate performance reports of my work were compared to everyone else’s accurate performance reports. There was a few times where many computers were shipped in from other depots for me specifically to repair, other times where we covered for other depots while they were on vacations. All of those repairs were never counted onto my performance reports and they used full time hours to create my average even though I was far from full time. There have been times where they say I have only performed 15 repairs in a week when in reality I have done double that amount of work.
I was trying to fill more hours by getting a job in the storefront, but I was turned down. I have enough skills to be working in the repair depot, but apparently I am lacking the skills to work with customers in the store. They never formally interviewed me or told me I was turned down; they just waited a few weeks then told my supervisor I didn’t get the job.
There were false accusations made that I was running in front of moving forklifts. Since one of my previous jobs where my supervisor tried running me over with a forklift, I stay away from them.
Every time I asked my supervisor about getting more hours, he would tell me that I had to be certified to be a full time employee. Only 1 technician has shown proof of his certification, the others have not been able to provide their certification information when asked for it. With the quality of their work sometimes it’s hard to believe that they would be.

In conclusion, I went into this field to fix computers. Not lie to people, not cover for people, and to do my job. Staples is the last place that I would ever get that experience in the tech field. Take from this what you will, but your customers deserve better. Shame on you Staples.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Personally in your long tale, I didn't see any discrimination against you. A part timer is usually hired to do 'the grunt work' As far as unethical practices, you haven't really specified anything. Infact it appears maybe you are a trouble maker. Maybe a Staples lawyer will get hold of your blurb here....

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
If you were hired as an employee, I can see that you aren't allowed to work on your own.

If you were hired as a subcontractor, you would be able to spell out if you were only allowed to work for them or not.

As for the other issues, I cannot conceive of any repair to a computer that I would entrust to Staples; I can do just better on my own anyway.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Aren’t welders and construction workers allowed to work on more than 1 job site? Why wouldn’t I be allowed? In my opinion they were holding me back in my field because I am a woman in a male dominated field.

It sounds to me, without knowing a ton about it, like they were worried you were telling customers you could fix their problems cheaper at home, and possibly routing customers out of their store.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This is hard. Of all the stores I deal with, Staples has been among the best in terms of customer support, and in standing behind the products they sell. You had a problem with the management in one store. That sort of thing happens. Staples is a successful business and they have dozens of stores in Canada. I can't condemn them all because of your problem......and I haven't heard both sides of the story.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
If you don't need staples then why go to a store called Staples. Duh.

BTW, all companies treat their employees like that. They're paying so you do what they want or leave. Within reason of course, but if you are taking business away from them then I have to say, Duh, again. 8O

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Well, Staples is an employer... the ass part is inevitable. Employers suck, even the good ones.

I'll admit to that, being an employer and all, but I'll toot my own horn and say I'm getting two extra days vacation because my crew has things running so well they said they would look after things. Ahhhh. :smile:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'll admit to that, being an employer and all, but I'll toot my own horn and say I'm getting two extra days vacation because my crew has things running so well they said they would look after things. Ahhhh. :smile:

Ah, those sorts of employees rock. You must be one of the least assholish bosses then. ;-)

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:angry3:........JEEBUS!!!!!

They just opened a store in my town.....................yep, mine,.....an don fergit it!!:cool:

An, now I'm not supposed to go there.

Yesterday I saw about 15 staff wandering about, being staff. That's like 15 off the EI rolls or the welfare rolls, cause they is all local.............

NONONONONONO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,close the store..........we don't need the @$#@$ jobs.

Most are ...........ah**** it...........:-(

thuglyfe

Aug 13, 2008
Personally in your long tale, I didn't see any discrimination against you. A part timer is usually hired to do 'the grunt work' As far as unethical practices, you haven't really specified anything. Infact it appears maybe you are a trouble maker. Maybe a Staples lawyer will get hold of your blurb here....

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
That is the key, he is a whiner. He has had problems at at least 2 companies.

Actually, the original poster is a woman.;-)

Not knowing both sides of the story nor being present during those situations, I cannot say one way or the other if they happened. She certainly does not come across as any more of a whiner than a lot of other posters have acted in these forums before. And who knows? If those things did happen, I would certainly want to know about them.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
Well..there is a Staples opening in my town...yay
Personally, I don't like their prices..some of them are WAYY out of the line.
Then again..neat place .
BETTER THAN WAL-MART