Video Calls

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm trying to have a video call with my husband (over MSN), and it all keeps freezing up... what sorts of issues should I troubleshoot? It keeps booting me clean out of MSN.

FUBAR

Electoral Member
May 14, 2007
Skype. I use it all the time for talking to family. Pretty good normally and it's free for calls anywhere in the world. You both have to download the software but setting up an account is easy.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
probably you just need more bandwidth. I've never had any issues with msn video calls, whereas i HAVE had issues with skype becoming unstable, making pictures indecipherable and then being almost impossible to uninstall. People get all excited about skype, but essentially they're just reinventing the wheel. MSN has video calls and voice calls... why get more software?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Thanks Herm, but, I don't think bandwidth is the issue afterall. It appears to be some instability on MSN's end. A friend kept getting tossed last night too. So... not just me. *phew*.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Since my wife and I live on Vancouver Island and our kids are on the mainland, we use Windows Live Messenger all the time to visit our grand children. We just have a simple webcam with a microphone that plugs into a USB port and the kids have the same. We are all running XP or Vista. We've never had a problem.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Will it record the video and sound also ?

By the way, there's a moffat stove for anyone in the Langley - Vancouver area.

We get sound as well as the video. I've never tried to record anything but I guess it could be done.

Tell me that stove is not one with a self-cleaning, convection oven and flush stovetop elements because we just bought one.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay you techy types, a couple more questions then.

1. How do I record my own voice to MP3 format on Vista?

2. How do I take a pic with my integrated webcam on Vista? It strikes me odd that I can't seem to find any independent controls to use my cam.

sirlorenzo

Electoral Member
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
I recommend Gmail. They have a video chat system built in, and it works really well. Give it a shot, its cool. We screw around with it in the office all the time.