Latest Russian fighter/interceptor

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
Very cool, I noticed at the end, it does the cobra maneuver, its a staple in the Russian air shows, because there isn't an American fight jet in existence that can perform that maneuver, without stalling. I don't think we can underestimate the Russian Air Force anymore, they have money to invest in technology, and their pilots are extremely well trained.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I wonder how much they would want for 70 or 80 of these?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Can you park it outside and fix it with a screwdriver like most Russian equipment? The American plan is too heavy on bells and whistles. High tech gadgets aren't efficient in sticks 'n' stones battles and wars of attrition.

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Have to have a lot of trust in the people that did the programming for the on-board computers for that thing. lol Kinda leaves out MS programmers.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I guess this would be the MiG35. Just from the appearance though it appears to look a lot like the MiG29, with thrust vectoring and upgrades in avionics, specifically stability control.

But i'm not sure it represents a new generation of fighter, like the F22, which has supercruise, thrust vectoring, and stealth.. or the Eurofighter which has supercruise, advanced radar target aquisition, thrust vectoring.

The MiG35 seems to have cobbled together some technological advancements onto a MiG29 airframe, albeit in an impressive form.

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
That design is generic. You think they should be like GM and have a different design for all its models? lmao
Either way, it still seems to have advanced beyond what anyone else has, atm.

If some dough-head by the name of Diefenbaker hadn't scrapped the program, we'd have Arrows in various different models using the same design. There are different models of US planes using the same design.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The competition - F22 - thrust vectoring, supercruise (can achieve and maintain Mach speed without going to afterburners) and is invisible to radar. And it doesn't look 'generic' at all, it looks like form following a new level of function.

YouTube - F-22 Supermanouverability

The Russian pilot was a great showman, but i know which jet i'd rather be in, in a grudge match.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Quoting miniboss:
Very cool, I noticed at the end, it does the cobra maneuver, its a staple in the Russian air shows, because there isn't an American fight jet in existence that can perform that maneuver, without stalling.
Go right ahead on it, coldstream. :D
BTW, do you know what a "miniboss" is? It's a position pretty much filled by someone expert in aircraft matters.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I guess this would be the MiG35. Just from the appearance though it appears to look a lot like the MiG29, with thrust vectoring and upgrades in avionics, specifically stability control.

But i'm not sure it represents a new generation of fighter, like the F22, which has supercruise, thrust vectoring, and stealth.. or the Eurofighter which has supercruise, advanced radar target aquisition, thrust vectoring.

The MiG35 seems to have cobbled together some technological advancements onto a MiG29 airframe.

I don't think the term "cobbled together" applies to this aircraft.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
lol From what I understand the Russians were/are very good at cobbling together various pieces of machinery very well. So well, in fact, their aircraft can land on very difficult terrain, their rifles can be abused severely and still fire, etc. Better than timex: "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" till the warrantee is over. lol

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Dogfights are fought at 100+km these days. The hardware that isn't shown at air-shows are the mach5 interceptor 'darts'. Like the Russian S-400 system.
You just have to wonder how far the Avro could have evolved in the last half-century, it could be the basic air-frame for every fighter/bomber built today. It was scrapped because it was a superior design.

Warranty ????, as far as I understand things, any US supplied war machine now has a disable button that the Pentagon 'owns' no matter who purchases the equipment.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
lmao a built in warrantee voider. Nifty. Figures that the US would install such a thing after they build it. Autos next? Watches? Trains? Buses?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
lol From what I understand the Russians were/are very good at cobbling together various pieces of machinery very well. So well, in fact, their aircraft can land on very difficult terrain, their rifles can be abused severely and still fire, etc. Better than timex: "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" till the warrantee is over. lol

The early Mig21s, the Mig29s, and almost all the new Russian fighters are capable of landing on unimproved grass runways. I shudder to think what would happen to the vaunted F-18 if it tried to land on a dirt runway.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Neat looking thing. I liked the Russian plane better, though. I bet a decent pilot could make a Piper Cub barrel roll, do a couple loops and stall lots. Not saying that that F-22 is a Piper Cub, but the Russian plane did a lot more than just a barrel roll, a few loops, and some stalls.
And I bet the F-22 couldn't land on a farmer's field without sustaining a fair bit of damage.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
The early Mig21s, the Mig29s, and almost all the new Russian fighters are capable of landing on unimproved grass runways. I shudder to think what would happen to the vaunted F-18 if it tried to land on a dirt runway.

Hey those are some slick moves alright. But what about doing what a fighter like that is made to do? I don't know much about fighters like that but what do all these have to do with warfare?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
No doubt the Russians have a great aircraft there but to quickly count out the F-22 and Eurofighter would be a mistake. Great fighters aren't based on if they can recover from a stall or land on a farmer's field.

Years ago the MIG 25 was feared until the US got their hands on one and found out that it had many problems. Airshows are one thing, combat is another.

The same critisism came out against the M1 tank vs Soviet tanks before Desert Storm. Folks said the M1 wont work and would break down in extreme heat, that it was made for the European theater. When all was said and down, British, French, and US tanks rolled right through them destroying every Soviet made tank. Yes, they were not manned by Russians but range and manuverability, night fighting capabilities were lacking.

Nor should the Russians be underestimated either. They are a hardy people and know how to fight and know how to make fighting platforms.