Whats better Amd Dual-core or Pentium D?

hermanntrude
my 64 is a nice bit of kit. It's an old one but even without a dual core it's quite capable of multiple tasks. I often watch video, chat, browse and burn DVD's all at the same time.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrudeView Post

my 64 is a nice bit of kit. It's an old one but even without a dual core it's quite capable of multiple tasks. I often watch video, chat, browse and burn DVD's all at the same time.

My previous PC had an athlon 64, they are great cpu's. Intel had to develop a whole new CPU to compete with the 64's as the pentium 4 was a dud in comparison.

allen_p
Quote:

I have a minor reading problem. Didn't realise that comparison was so old and as I've just bought an AMD 64 bit processor, and the salesman told me it was the best thing since sliced bread, I couldn't help myself. Seriously, what I have is more than good enough for my purposes

Salesman said so ??? Those guys are plain dumb. If they were not dumb they would be working some place else, probably system admin at some place .

cdn_bc_ca
Hey J_Hay,

If you compare Athlon X2 vs. Pentium D, there really is no comparison. The performance per watt of the X2 is much better than the Pentium D (ie. at the same clock speed, the X2 can do more). Also consider that the Pentium D runs much hotter and requires more power... hotter and more power usually means a case with more fans... which leads to more noise. If you plan to overclock, the Pentium D is not a good choice.

dexxter
get a core2duo! the current AmD aint really good for gaming....core2duo is currently best for gaming...

snowles
Quote: Originally Posted by allen_pView Post

Salesman said so ??? Those guys are plain dumb. If they were not dumb they would be working some place else, probably system admin at some place .

I take offense to that allen. Are you calling me dumb, because your rash generalizations certainly seem to say so.

allen_p
Quote:

I have a minor reading problem. Didn't realise that comparison was so old and as I've just bought an AMD 64 bit processor, and the salesman told me it was the best thing since sliced bread, I couldn't help myself. Seriously, what I have is more than good enough for my purposes.

commented by #juan.

Read it in that context.

@snowles - do I know you ?

snowles
Quote: Originally Posted by allen_pView Post

commented by #juan.

Read it in that context.

@snowles - do I know you ?

I don't think there's any context necessary when you make a blanket statement such as "Salesman said so ??? Those guys are plain dumb. If they were not dumb they would be working some place else, probably system admin at some place."

I started as a sales associate at a computer store before moving into management. Thus I would be a computer salesman. Thus I would be "plain dumb."

I'm not trying to ride you, I'm just suggesting you watch your blanket statements in future discussions. There are (more than a few) salespeople I have worked with who know more about computers than anyone in the forum by a mile, and I think it was an unfair generalization for you to make - regardless of the "context" you're trying to now put it under, it still applies to all when you say it as such.

J_Hay
all right i guess ill take a look.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

Juan, Athlon 64's are still an awesome CPU. Nothing slow about them. The article I posted is from a geek tech site, the tests they run don't resemble what a cpu would day to day.

You bought an FX brand of the 64 didn't you?

Yeah. The salesman sort of indicated that the FX was almost as rare as hen's teeth. I wasn't completely taken in by that, but the price was more than right at the time. You have to understand that I'm not a computer expert. I surf the web, do a bit of word processing, do a bit of fiddling with photos from digital camera, not much else. I can't imagine needing anything faster for what I do. I'm a two finger typist......the machine is too fast for me already....

BTW, has anyone used one of these programs that type out what you say?

hermanntrude
Many years ago I tried out ViaVoice. it worked fine but I found it made me self-conscious so i typed anyway. They take a LOT of training, too. It'll be weeks before it works half decently.