"Second Wind"

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm an old geezer pushing 74 and I do a lot of exercise most days, very often hiking 3 - 4 miles up and down steep hills up to 16% or so. Sometimes when I start out I feel lousy and short of breath just walking at moderate speed on the level, but I find if I persevere for two miles or so I generally feel "new life" and can charge up steep hills with little or no exertion. It's a great feeling when it occurs and I take it as an indication of being in good shape............but I'm puzzled as to the reason of the phenonymun. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with length of time necessary to get your body fully charged with oxygen. Or should I just leave it alone and be thankful? Anyone else have a similar experience and answers for it?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
boxers usually want to get their second wind started before the bout starts

so whack a few passers by and run...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"Endorphins", although I was familiar with term were something completely foreign to my knowledge. Now that I've googled them and read up on them, they answer my questions perfectly. Thanks for the "heads up".

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
My father was your age when he went to Kingman Az and trimmed a bunch of palm trees , climbing them with a chain & spurs. Not many men at the age of 73 can do that.

He was in really great physical condition..

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
My father was your age when he went to Kingman Az and trimmed a bunch of palm trees , climbing them with a chain & spurs. Not many men at the age of 73 can do that.

I was good until just before my 70th birthday and then in the snap of a finger all that changed. A sudden dose of pneumonia screwed up my electrical system and one thing led to another. Over the past 4 years and the help of a defibrillator and a stent or two, I've recovered 90%, not sure if I'll ever get back the other 10. I don't worry about that, just concentrate on keeping moving................any kind of motion is good. My motto is do what you can and forget about what you can't.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

You come from solid stock. What happened?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm an old geezer pushing 74 and I do a lot of exercise most days, very often hiking 3 - 4 miles up and down steep hills up to 16% or so. Sometimes when I start out I feel lousy and short of breath just walking at moderate speed on the level, but I find if I persevere for two miles or so I generally feel "new life" and can charge up steep hills with little or no exertion. It's a great feeling when it occurs and I take it as an indication of being in good shape............but I'm puzzled as to the reason of the phenonymun. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with length of time necessary to get your body fully charged with oxygen. Or should I just leave it alone and be thankful? Anyone else have a similar experience and answers for it?
It's an oxygen transfer and blood sugar problem. Basically, your body doesn't switch instantly from "sitting on your a$s" mode to "gittin' 'er done" mode as fast as it used to. The adjustment happens, it just takes longer than it did 50 years back.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Seriously, about the best thing you can do is get some sugar in you about 20 minutes before you set out, and oxygenate your system (that's "breathe deeply") just before you take off. That should help some.

Aside from that, there ain't no cure for aging, JLM. I'm a couple decades behind you, but I feel it too. Hope I'm as spry as you are when I hit your mark.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I was good until just before my 70th birthday and then in the snap of a finger all that changed. A sudden dose of pneumonia screwed up my electrical system and one thing led to another. Over the past 4 years and the help of a defibrillator and a stent or two, I've recovered 90%, not sure if I'll ever get back the other 10. I don't worry about that, just concentrate on keeping moving................any kind of motion is good. My motto is do what you can and forget about what you can't.

Regulate your PH the minor symptom will evaporate first glass of the pre exersion, half a lemon fresh squeezed teaspoon level sodium bicarbonate four or five ounces of good spring water, stir and swig fast before it hits your nose. You'll burn like a good old boiler.
Burns off your lumps like nothing else. Get yer PH right and you'll grow hair.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's an oxygen transfer and blood sugar problem. Basically, your body doesn't switch instantly from "sitting on your a$s" mode to "gittin' 'er done" mode as fast as it used to. The adjustment happens, it just takes longer than it did 50 years back.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Seriously, about the best thing you can do is get some sugar in you about 20 minutes before you set out, and oxygenate your system (that's "breathe deeply") just before you take off. That should help some.

Aside from that, there ain't no cure for aging, JLM. I'm a couple decades behind you, but I feel it too. Hope I'm as spry as you are when I hit your mark.

I hear you. I've always been physically active, although not particularly athletic. I think the most important thing I've been able to do rain or shine is get out in the elements most days and persevere for an hour and when conditions are really sh*tty, I go down to the arena and walk laps and climb up and down the steps in the bleachers. In the big cities you can walk up and down the stairs in the parkades.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I don't know. two years ago I was lifting 4x8 sheets of 3/4 mdf , unloading the lumber trucks by hand, building and handling heavy wood furniture pieces and just generally busting azz like I did most of my life. Then, I started going to shyt. Why? I don't know

Check your odometer.

You should be oiled and greased on a higher frequency. You just need lubrication.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Walking uphill makes my heart beat rapidly and causes shortness of breath. It gets kinda hilly in this part of town and in the nearby two towns where I go to watch sports. Therefore, I do my best to avoid the hills as much as possible.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011

Not only has your generation fu€Ned things up more then any generations before it. You have to out live every other generation in order to fu€k the world behond any chance at of fixing it.

Boomers are a curse on this planet .

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Walking uphill makes my heart beat rapidly and causes shortness of breath. It gets kinda hilly in this part of town and in the nearby two towns where I go to watch sports. Therefore, I do my best to avoid the hills as much as possible.

Don't do that unless it's against doctor's orders. Getting your heart rate up to about 120 bpm is good for it and won't kill you as long as you don't have heart defects and gradually work up to it.

Not only has your generation fu€Ned things up more then any generations before it. You have to out live every other generation in order to fu€k the world behond any chance at of fixing it.

Boomers are a curse on this planet .

Possibly, but I'm not one of them. Boomers were born between 1945 and 1950.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
You're out of shape like me Goph. I'd go to the doc and have them check your ticker.