A neighbour's conspiracy..........blocked.....

DaSleeper
For a couple of years now our phone company modem/router has been giving us trouble, a switch by the phone company didn't help.....setting up another router in bridge mode didn't help..
Intermittently my wife's PC or mine in different rooms in the house, because, while we enjoy the same type of music, we have different tastes in TV shows.., one of our PCs would trip off WI FI and the router would have to be reset....And it wasn't the microwave oven, because it would happen when the microwave is OFF.
Phones and tablets for some reason would not be affected.

Two weeks ago, I go in the back yard to let the dog in and see the neighbour's wife on the back deck talking on her portable wireless phone, I come back in the house and my PC is again tripped off wifi.

That's when I realized that this never happened when the neighbors were not home working or holidays...

A quick internet check an I find that many wireless house phones are on a close frequency to WiFi, and changing the frequency on the router doesn't help.

Some of you will like my fix...
I put the phone company router in regular mode getting rid of all the extra hardware, positioned it closer to my wife's station which is also closer to the neighbors.

Then covered the back of the router with tinfoil, loosely so the router doesn't overheat and positioned it so the tinfoil is between the router and the neighbors......

It worked

Now I have to cover the microwave in tinfoil....Naaah!

Curious Cdn
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
Gawd, your life is complicated.

MHz
You made a tin-foil hat for your router in other words. Most people would have just changed the wi-fi password.

DaSleeper
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

You made a tin-foil hat for your router in other words. Most people would have just changed the wi-fi password.

Guess it's too early in the day for you and you haven't taken your pills yet

The neighbor wasn't getting in my router...... his cordless phones were creating interference...

Let me google that for you (external - login to view)

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Just cut the phone lines to your neighbour.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Just cut the phone lines to your neighbour.

Not his fault his wife's a motor mouth on the phone lol

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Not his fault his wife's a motor mouth on the phone lol

We use our home phone for places like the school where they need to call one of us but doesn't matter which one. We also give them our cells as backup. Aside from long distance, the only other thing we use our land line for is receiving helpful calls from Microsoft Technical Support as they are constantly detecting problems on our computer.

DaSleeper
+1
Got rid of the landline phones two or three years ago.....only use the phone line for internet ADSL

MHz
I stand corrected, thank you for not abusing my error.