Air Car Company Wants To Sell $10K Cars In US This Year

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Burn the coal to generate the electricity to compress the air to operate your AirPod. You're still burning coal.

Not to mention all the coal you're burning to create the refined metal and plastic and glass that goes into making your "zero impact" car.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Compressed air & cold weather = condensation & ice in storage tanks.
The ground clearance alone rules this unit out in Regina as a city and
most Saskatchewan highways at this point too.

Nice toy for short hops in warm climates in an urban enviroment with
perfectly smooth roads, I guess. I doubt its survivability in an accident
even with a smartcar, let alone a one-ton truck or larger....

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Burn the coal to generate the electricity to compress the air to operate your AirPod. You're still burning coal.

Power dams, nuclear power. Canada has only about 6 coal powered plants, most of Canada's power is pretty green.

How much energy to extract the oil and gas and refine it for the conventional car.

Not to mention all the coal you're burning to create the refined metal and plastic and glass that goes into making your "zero impact" car.

Same as any other car on the road..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RBl1LFUQ4c

Zero Pollution Motors | the first compressed air-powered car

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Power dams, nuclear power. Canada has only about 6 coal powered plants, most of Canada's power is pretty green.
I'm sure it is. Considering, however, that the headline is "Air Car Company Wants To Sell $10K Cars In US This Year" while I'm certain your comment is relevant to something, I'm pretty sure that something ain't in this thread.

Except that the vast majority of buyers of this car will also have another car they use for exurban driving.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I'm sure it is. Considering, however, that the headline is "Air Car Company Wants To Sell $10K Cars In US This Year" while I'm certain your comment is relevant to something, I'm pretty sure that something ain't in this thread.

Nit picking like a woman, are ya. Still cost less that it does to produce a tank of compressed air versus a tank of gas. Also better on the environment.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Except that the vast majority of buyers of this car will also have another car they use for exurban driving.

Look at the changes in the last 115 year, from horse and buggy at the beginning of the 1900, to the moon by mid century to micro computers..

Give it 25 years and exurban travel will be solved with high speed trains or maybe hydrogen cars.. who knows. Perosnally I think we need to just go Hydrogen like they did in Norway.

Still better off with gasoline micro cars for $6K.

I support Hydrogen Cars. They have both distance and speed comparable to gasoline and you don't have to give up comfort or size.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/01/10000-hydrogen-car-plan-us-northeast/

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xZWZEQk-TE

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Nit picking like a woman, are ya. Still cost less that it does to produce a tank of compressed air versus a tank of gas. Also better on the environment.

OK, let's do the math. Car's gonna cost about 10K. Economic theory would say that's approximately the value of the materials and energy that went into it. Let's say it gets the equivalent of 100 miles per gallon in terms of the energy used to fill the air tanks. And let's compare it to a car that gets 25 mpg, at a gas price of $3.00 per gallon.

To run your regular car 15,000 miles, fuel is gonna cost you $1800. In the AirPod, it'll be $450. So that's a savings of about $1350 per year. So to hit the break-even point where the AirPod is worth what it costs, you'll have to keep it for 7 1/2 years.

And remember, these values roughly represent the amount of materials and energy needed to make and operate the car. In other words, the amount of pollution created.

So there's your equation. If you own a regular sedan (actually kind of a gas guzzler) or a small pickup, and you decide to buy an AirPod for local driving, in order for the AirPod to be worth what it costs in terms of dollars, resources used, and pollution generated, youi'll have to keep and use it for 7 1/2 years.

"I don't have the answers. What I do have is the numbers."
--John Urschel