New Ford Car Will Automatically Slow You Down

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Ford has announced that the new S-Max, which goes on sale in Europe in August, will have a new feature that automatically slows you down so that you're traveling within the speed limit.

Called the Intelligent Speed Limiter, the new feature is a combination of two nascent automotive technologies: adjustable speed limiters and traffic sign recognition. An adjustable speed limiter might sound like cruise control, but it's slightly different: cruise control keeps your speed constant, while an adjustable speed limiter stops the throttle from delivering more fuel to the engine once you reach the desired speed.

Traffic sign recognition is exactly what it sounds like: using a forward-facing camera, usually behind the rearview mirror, an on-board computer scans the environment for signs that might be important. Over the last few years, there have been a number of cars that automatically recognize signs and flash up alerts on a digital dashboard display.

Now, Ford is combining these two technologies to create a car that automatically slows down when you pass a traffic sign that indicates a new speed limit. If you're going over the speed limit, the S-Max will reduce the amount of fuel being delivered to the engine, smoothly slowing you down.

For now, the automatic deceleration can be overridden by pressing firmly on the accelerator. Amusingly, you can also tell the car to decelerate to 5mph above the speed limit—so you can actively choose to do 35 in a 30 if you so wish.

Ford's Intelligent Speed Limiter, like lane-departure warning, adaptive cruise control, and parking assist, is yet another mile marker on the route to fully self-driving vehicles. While autonomous cars already have myriad ramifications to work through—and surely many more issues that are yet to be discovered—something like the Intelligent Speed Limiter, on its own, is just a helpful tool to stop you accidentally getting a speeding ticket.

It's not difficult, though, to see how this could be the beginning of the end for spirited driving. The first cars to offer an automatic speed limiter will have the feature turned off by default—but at some point down the line, it's not inconceivable that a car company might offer an on-by-default vehicle for safety (or speeding ticket) conscious customers.

Ford’s new car automatically slows down when it sees a speed limit sign | Ars Technica

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3qmtEGGlOo&feature=player_embedded

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
This could be problematic for cars that travel from Canada to the U.S. and vice versa. Canada uses KPH and the U.S. uses MPH.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Could also be problematic for car dealers as they try to sell them.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
This could be problematic for cars that travel from Canada to the U.S. and vice versa. Canada uses KPH and the U.S. uses MPH.

Computer doesn't care. You'll notice on your speedo it has miles and kilometeres. It doesn't matter which scall you look at the needle stays in the same place.

Could also be problematic for car dealers as they try to sell them.

The facebook types will eat it up. They're already whoring their lives for the benefit of someone else so why not insurance companies too.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Computer doesn't care. You'll notice on your speedo it has miles and kilometeres. It doesn't matter which scall you look at the needle stays in the same place.

Canadian signs say 100, American signs say 60. There's just a tad of a difference there. If the computer is set up for MPH and it sees a sign that says 100.............

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Do you really think this system is optic and sees signs?

from the article

Traffic sign recognition is exactly what it sounds like: using a forward-facing camera, usually behind the rearview mirror, an on-board computer scans the environment for signs that might be important. Over the last few years, there have been a number of cars that automatically recognize signs and flash up alerts on a digital dashboard display.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Canadian signs say 100, American signs say 60. There's just a tad of a difference there. If the computer is set up for MPH and it sees a sign that says 100.............

Computers can have gps. Do you think the computer will look at the actual signs?
I can change the odometer on my trucks from miles to kilometres with a few button presses.
Besides that will only be a problem in USA, Myanmar, and Liberia.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Computers can have gps. Do you think the computer will look at the actual signs?
I can change the odometer on my trucks from miles to kilometres with a few button presses.

Yup, but computer GPS's are notoriously out of date and will more than likely not have minute to minute updates for construction zones, etc. Visual recognition would be more accurate. All I was doing was bringing up a potential problem for here.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
from the article
You're right, I'm wrong. I skimmed the article too fast.

Nope, gerryh is right. It's in the article.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
My GPS will warn me if I'm going over the speed limit, but I have to update it regularly and hope the department of highways has provided Garmin with regular updates as well.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
My GPS will warn me if I'm going over the speed limit, but I have to update it regularly and hope the department of highways has provided Garmin with regular updates as well.

We have a GPS installed in all our work trucks. An annual report showing driving habits is sent to our insurance company. Problem with the speed part of it is, it is way out of date for the City of Calgary, by damn near 2 years. It shows lower speed limits on sections of major trails that used to have construction.