Bell Calls for New TV Fees and Less Consumer Choice

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Bell is arguing for less choice for consumers, claiming that Canadians should be satisfied with access to the programs it (and other Canadian broadcasters) licence. If anything, the Internet is leading to greater choice and options for Canadians that want access to U.S. programs. Blocking content feels like the last refuge of a company that simply cannot compete with greater consumer choice, particularly with the imminent arrival of pick-and-pay channels. Consumers will soon be able to pick the channels they want to purchase alongside new ways (Internet streaming, over-the-top video services, iTunes downloads) of accessing U.S. programming. Bell somehow thinks the solution to these options is to create less choice by blocking access to popular U.S. channels on cable and satellite services.

Bell wants to overturn the CRTC decision on its Mobile TV service, arguing that it can’t offer it unless it has a competitive advantage by offering access that does not count against consumers’ monthly data caps. In other words, it can’t compete with the Internet, which offers a far richer and broader array of content than licensed mobile TV services. The CRTC’s concern was that disadvantaging competitive services would reduce innovation and consumer choice:

the Commission finds that the preference given in relation to the transport of Bell Mobility’s and Videotron’s mobile TV services to subscribers’ mobile devices, and the corresponding disadvantage in relation to the transport of other audiovisual content services available over the Internet, will grow and will have a material impact on consumers, and other audiovisual content services in particular. As an example, it may end up inhibiting the introduction and growth of other mobile TV services accessed over the Internet, which reduces innovation and consumer choice.

This is net neutrality 101 and countries such as the Netherlands have experienced the benefits of net neutrality rules with respect to online video. In fact, researchers have found that countries with restrictive data caps are particularly vulnerable to “zero-rating” plans such as that offered by Bell. Crull made it clear that Bell will withdraw the service if cannot discriminate against competing services with respect to data charges.

more

Raising the Broadcast White Flag: What Lies Behind Bell's Radical Plan to Raise TV Fees, Block Content, Violate Net Neutrality & Fight Netflix - Michael Geist

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
So Bell Is regulated on the channels it must provide, the internet is not. Good old Government regulations.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Since CTV did not mention the ruling the first few days I think we know what he said to them..........

Bell Boss Told CTV News Not To Talk About Pick and Pay Ruling

Bell Media president Kevin Crull has apologized for his involvement in CTV's coverage of the CRTC decision requiring cable companies to offer pick-and-pay television services, after a Globe and Mail report alleged he attempted to influence the network's news coverage of the decision.

The Globe alleged Wednesday that Crull attempted to ban the appearance of CRTC chair Jean-Pierre Blais in CTV's coverage last week of the broadcast regulator's decision on pick-and-pay TV.

CTV is owned by Bell Media, one of Canada's largest cable providers. As a result of the CRTC ruling, Bell will have to amend its services and offer a basic $25 cable package and let customers customize their channels rather than accept bundling.

Crull issued a statement Wednesday evening admitting he "reached out to the CTV News leadership team" but saying his intention was not to interfere editorially. His aim, Crull said, was to urge the CTV News team to focus not on the CRTC itself but on "a broad and necessary discussion of the impacts of the CRTC’s decisions on consumers, our team members, and our business."

Crull conceded, however, that his actions may have been interpreted as editorial interference.

"It was wrong of me to be anything but absolutely clear that editorial control always rests with the news team," his statement said. "I have apologized to the team directly for this mistake.

"Indeed, their strong and straightforward reaction to my intrusion only heightens my appreciation of their independence, integrity and professionalism."

more

Bell Media president Kevin Crull apologizes for 'intrusion' into CTV's CRTC coverage - Business - CBC News

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
yes, which no longer exist in most homes

I have one because no mobile service where I live.

But if you want a mobile phone Bell wants you to buy a new one from them ..........

Bell accused of 'ganging up' on resale buyers by blacklisting phones

Technology analyst Carmi Levy suggests that the blacklist is being used to discourage consumers from buying used phones and to push them into buying new.

"This makes it easier for the carriers to force you to buy new, because you are afraid to buy used because there’s a greater chance of it being cut off from their networks. Of course you are going to go to their store."

A Montreal father is taking on Canada’s largest telecom, after Bell blacklisted his teenager’s phone — not because it was reported stolen, but because the original buyer didn’t pay Bell for the device under contract.

"It infuriated me," said Jeremy Price-Williams. "It’s a case of the big guys ganging up on the little guys."

"It’s my phone, and they are blacklisting it for no reason," said David Price-Williams, 17.

In an opposite case, a Vancouver customer is upset with Virgin Mobile — owned by Bell — because the carrier failed to blacklist her phone, after she emailed to report it stolen while on a trip to Nicaragua.

"It didn’t get blacklisted, shut off, deactivated or anything," said Michelle Allen.

She said she had to battle with Virgin over $2,700 in roaming charges racked up by the thief. Allen said Virgin forgave the bill only after she threatened to go public with CBC.

"The blacklisting system doesn’t seem to work. Or else, they are just using it when it is convenient for them," said Allen.

David Price-Williams, the Montreal phone owner, suggested Bell is misusing the system by blacklisting phones it can't collect on after they are unlocked and resold to people like him.

"It all boils down to, who owns the phone? And everybody at Bell we spoke to said the seller … he has every right to sell that phone."

The teen bought the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 in December through an ad on Kijiji, with $700 scraped together from his minimum-wage earnings.

Price-Williams asked the seller for his ID and his receipt, which showed Bell shipped it to the same customer, at the same address as on his driver’s licence. That name and address is also listed on Canada 411.

The teen also called Bell, asking if the phone was restricted by contract.

"[Bell] said it would be OK, and that the phone was totally fine for me to buy," said Price-Williams.
Weeks later, the device stopped working. Telus — his provider — told him it had been blacklisted by Bell.

"Unless the previous owner has his account up to date, the phone will continue to be on the national blacklist," Bell wrote in an email to the teen's father.

"I have contacted our fraud team to see if we are able to make an exception, because you did give us a call prior to purchasing the unit. Unfortunately the answer I got was a no, as the national blacklist is not controlled by Bell."

The Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association gave Go Public the opposite information.

"Each participating carrier … is solely responsible for their own use of the database," said spokesman Marc Choma.

more

Bell accused of 'ganging up' on resale buyers by blacklisting phones - British Columbia - CBC News

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I have one because no mobile service where I live.
sometimes there are extenuating circumstances

But if you want a mobile phone Bell wants you to buy a new one from them ..........
yes, there's a shocker..or it is tied to your contract and they give you a new one

Bell accused of 'ganging up' on resale buyers by blacklisting phones
Technology analyst Carmi Levy suggests that the blacklist is being used to discourage consumers from buying used phones and to push them into buying new.
"This makes it easier for the carriers to force you to buy new, because you are afraid to buy used because there’s a greater chance of it being cut off from their networks. Of course you are going to go to their store."
A Montreal father is taking on Canada’s largest telecom, after Bell blacklisted his teenager’s phone — not because it was reported stolen, but because the original buyer didn’t pay Bell for the device under contract.
"It infuriated me," said Jeremy Price-Williams. "It’s a case of the big guys ganging up on the little guys."
"It’s my phone, and they are blacklisting it for no reason," said David Price-Williams, 17.
In an opposite case, a Vancouver customer is upset with Virgin Mobile — owned by Bell — because the carrier failed to blacklist her phone, after she emailed to report it stolen while on a trip to Nicaragua.
"It didn’t get blacklisted, shut off, deactivated or anything," said Michelle Allen.
She said she had to battle with Virgin over $2,700 in roaming charges racked up by the thief. Allen said Virgin forgave the bill only after she threatened to go public with CBC.
"The blacklisting system doesn’t seem to work. Or else, they are just using it when it is convenient for them," said Allen.
David Price-Williams, the Montreal phone owner, suggested Bell is misusing the system by blacklisting phones it can't collect on after they are unlocked and resold to people like him.
"It all boils down to, who owns the phone? And everybody at Bell we spoke to said the seller … he has every right to sell that phone."

The teen bought the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 in December through an ad on Kijiji, with $700 scraped together from his minimum-wage earnings.
Price-Williams asked the seller for his ID and his receipt, which showed Bell shipped it to the same customer, at the same address as on his driver’s licence. That name and address is also listed on Canada 411.

The teen also called Bell, asking if the phone was restricted by contract.
"[Bell] said it would be OK, and that the phone was totally fine for me to buy," said Price-Williams.
Weeks later, the device stopped working. Telus — his provider — told him it had been blacklisted by Bell.

"Unless the previous owner has his account up to date, the phone will continue to be on the national blacklist," Bell wrote in an email to the teen's father.
"I have contacted our fraud team to see if we are able to make an exception, because you did give us a call prior to purchasing the unit. Unfortunately the answer I got was a no, as the national blacklist is not controlled by Bell."
The Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association gave Go Public the opposite information.
"Each participating carrier … is solely responsible for their own use of the database," said spokesman Marc Choma.
that is disgusting

for a while they had us over the barrel when the service providers owned out telephone number and wouldn't allow it to be transferred until the government made them change it.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Ya'll are suckers.. Canadian TV Sucks.. period.

If you live on the US/Canadian border all your need is a over-the-air (OTA) antenna. You'll get 100's of free HD Channels from the USA. Why are you paying a cable bill.

Great channels like METV. Try Clear Vision

If you live far from the border, get a mail box at a UPS Store, go to Solid Signal and have your new equipment shipped to your box, then to Canada.. then activate it.. DirecTV in Canada.

You want Pay-per-view?? Use BasicTalk $10/mo and connect it to your DirecTV box.

Fukk the Canadian CRTC.. bunch of Commie Liberals telling you what you can or can't watch.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
If a phone is stolen, it shoud be blacklisted. If you buy it used and can't get it to work because of that, too frikin bad. You saved a buck by buying stolen merchandise. Suck it up and buy another.

But not paying for a contract should not affect the status of a phone.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
So Bell Is regulated on the channels it must provide, the internet is not. Good old Government regulations.

Self regulation.. VUDU.com does not send it's content outside the USA. You visit the website it clearly states this.

If you have a VPN, you can get it sent to your PC, just not over a smart TV.

NetFlix US and Canada have different content.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Ya'll are suckers.. Canadian TV Sucks.. period.

If you live on the US/Canadian border all your need is a over-the-air (OTA) antenna. You'll get 100's of free HD Channels from the USA. Why are you paying a cable bill.

Great channels like METV. Try Clear Vision

If you live far from the border, get a mail box at a UPS Store, go to Solid Signal and have your new equipment shipped to your box, then to Canada.. then activate it.. DirecTV in Canada.

You want Pay-per-view?? Use BasicTalk $10/mo and connect it to your DirecTV box.

Fukk the Canadian CRTC.. bunch of Commie Liberals telling you what you can or can't watch.

Since you've been busy becoming an American these recent years and have only returned to avail yourself of our "liberal" social healthcare, you may have not been aware of the fact that 80% of Canadians could do this easily.
The funny thing is the majority of the content provided on cable and satellite service in Canada is not available "over the air".

Your point is moot.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
If you live 100 Miles from the United States you can get Free to Air Digital TV from the USA.

For example, if you live in Vancouver, BC or Windsor, ON or even Toronto, ON. You can get close to 100 channels of FTA.
not in my building ya can't...they would freak if we had discs hanging off of our balconies

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
If you live 100 Miles from the United States you can get Free to Air Digital TV from the USA.

For example, if you live in Vancouver, BC or Windsor, ON or even Toronto, ON. You can get close to 100 channels of FTA.

75-80% of the Canadian population live within 90 miles of the US border.

What about people who live behind a mountain but only 1-30 miles er 1-50 klicks from the US? There is much much more Canada than the places you refer to Boomer.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
What about people who live behind a mountain but only 1-30 miles er 1-50 klicks from the US? There is much much more Canada than the places you refer to Boomer.

Well I had it in my Rig for the longest time and I would park between 2 other rigs and still get plenty of channels.

Obviously, I'm not going to personally guarantee somebody else's product, just say my personal experience with it has been great..

Also, in Calgary it picks up the main 5 local stations. But it's designed for the US Signals as they passed a new law forcing TV networks to send their signal out free.

http://www.amazon.ca/Winegard-FL5500A-FlatWave-Amplified-Antenna/dp/B00BN5Z2WM

Just Google "flatwave hdtv antenna" reviews.

Canada is slowly following the US lead.

Canadian over-the-air TV following U.S. down digital path - Canada - CBC News

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Well I had it in my Rig for the longest time and I would park between 2 other rigs and still get plenty of channels.

Obviously, I'm not going to personally guarantee somebody else's product, just say my personal experience with it has been great..

Also, in Calgary it picks up the main 5 local stations. But it's designed for the US Signals as they passed a new law forcing TV networks to send their signal out free.

http://www.amazon.ca/Winegard-FL5500A-FlatWave-Amplified-Antenna/dp/B00BN5Z2WM

Just Google "flatwave hdtv antenna" reviews.

I can't! I am behind a fuking mountain here like thousands of others. We not not all able to "drive" our homes somewhere else ya know. Nor do we want to be in Calgary or any other city. We are happy bigots mostly, except for the lack of free TV and cellphone service.