Better made autos

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
My dad bought a new"74 Ford pick-up and had to trash it one year later because it rusted out completely. Rust is not nearly as much a problem as it was 40 years ago.

Today I'm replacing the clutch in my wife's '05 Corolla after 300K. My mechanic was surprised cuz he said he usually gets them coming in for a replacement at 150k Cars are getting better all the time.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
My dad bought a new"74 Ford pick-up and had to trash it one year later because it rusted out completely. Rust is not nearly as much a problem as it was 40 years ago.

Today I'm replacing the clutch in my wife's '05 Corolla after 300K. My mechanic was surprised cuz he said he usually gets them coming in for a replacement at 150k Cars are getting better all the time.

Sold my 99 corolla in Jun 13. 160 k- still running like a top.
A car that any backyard mechanic can work on.
We don't put a lot of miles on our vehicles.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Don't see many people on the side of the road fixing flats any more.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Don't see many people on the side of the road fixing flats any more.

Better tires and pressure sensors. The sensors are sensitive. I parked next to a vehicle and his low tire set off my warning light.

Kiss rust good by on F-150s. They've gone aluminum.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I drive a hoopdee. Always have driven junkers as I had no money for anything else but junkers.
I remember as a teen I would cruise central avenue hoping to make an impression on some nice girl but as I was driving a 67 rambler with a bashed in front fender I had no luck with the goils. They don't like guys who drive junkers.:).

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I bought a 2000 honda civic two weeks ago for $200 the engine purrs the transmission is excellent. I'm using the engine and wireing harness for a tracked vehicle project, that 1.6 litre engine occupies two square feet between twenty inch wide tracks on eight cavalier spare wheels which spin on torsion bars the 100hp will drive two hydraulic pumps for the track motors. It's much cheaper and more fun to build with rejected autos then expensive components. A comparable vehicle would run about forty thousand I think I can do it for about five thousand, not counting the labour. I was thinking skid steer but ZTR is better I think.