A misconception needs to be cleared up!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
When I turned 65 I rec'd a pneumonia shot, at which time I was told I was protected for life from getting pneumonia. In February 2013, I found out just what a huge misnomer that is. In a matter of hours I developed a severe case of pneumonia which very nearly did me in. When I told the medical staff that couldn't be because I had rec'd the shot, I was informed that, that means very little as not all strains of pneumonia are covered. Several people I've talked to are unaware of this. Shouldn't people be getting warned at the time they get the pneumonia shot?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I've never heard of somebody getting a pneumonia shot. I've heard of people getting an influenza shot.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
When I turned 65 I rec'd a pneumonia shot, at which time I was told I was protected for life from getting pneumonia. In February 2013, I found out just what a huge misnomer that is. In a matter of hours I developed a severe case of pneumonia which very nearly did me in. When I told the medical staff that couldn't be because I had rec'd the shot, I was informed that, that means very little as not all strains of pneumonia are covered. Several people I've talked to are unaware of this. Shouldn't people be getting warned at the time they get the pneumonia shot?

You probably got the vaccine against the bacteria. If you get too much fluid in your lungs you develop a different type of pneumonia.

People who almost drown or people who O.D and are brought back develop non bacterial pneumonia.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Question: you OK now, you in good health now?? I hope you have your health and sorry to hear about your sickness.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

I've also been given mixed signals about pneumonia shots. One story says you need such a shot every year, another says every five years.

The last shot I took did not get me sick but there was an awful pain in my arm for days on end. Don't know if these shots do any real good as pneumonia has been the bane of my existence since I've been infected by it in some form or another six times.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I've also been given mixed signals about pneumonia shots. One story says you need such a shot every year, another says every five years.

The last shot I took did not get me sick but there was an awful pain in my arm for days on end. Don't know if these shots do any real good as pneumonia has been the bane of my existence since I've been infected by it in some form or another six times.

Pneumonia is a condition. You can't really immunize people against it. You can immunize people against some things that can cause it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've never heard of somebody getting a pneumonia shot. I've heard of people getting an influenza shot.

Been happening for 7 or 8 years that I know of, probably more.:)

When I first got it I was told it was good for life, of course I found out there are exceptions to that rule, I too was told by one pharmacist you should get one every five years, so I questioned my doctor about that and he said it's basically good for life but there's numerous types of pneumonia and it doesn't cover all of them. Seems to depend a lot on who you ask!

P.S. I've also been told there is viral pneumonia and bacterial pneumonia. Would that entail different vaccines? (Hey Sal, where are you when I need you?):)

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/833475

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

If you keep your ears and eyes open and your mouth closed it's amazing the stuff you can learn!

Last edited:

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
it caused permanent damage to our mums lungs. :(

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The VFF is your proof?

Google

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000145.htm

Ways you can get pneumonia include:

Bacteria and viruses living in your nose, sinuses, or mouth may spread to your lungs.
You may breathe some of these germs directly into your lungs.
You breathe in (inhale) food, liquids, vomit, or fluids from the mouth into your lungs (aspiration pneumonia)
Pneumonia can be caused by many types of germs.

The most common type of bacterium is Streptococcus pneumoniae (pneumococcus).
Atypical pneumonia, often called walking pneumonia, is caused by other bacteria.
The bacterium called Pneumocystis jiroveci can cause pneumonia in people whose immune system is not working well.
Viruses, such as the flu virus, are also a common cause of pneumonia.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I guess the question is, were you serious or was it just another one of your troll threads?

Where did I bash a poster? By a "troll" thread do you mean a thread that draws answers? So do you have an answer for us as to how many pneumonia shots do we need and what strains of pneumonia are covered by the shot? Or are you just going to continue trolling?