Temp. Alarm for my Cottage

nmcbride

Oct 20, 2014
I recently bought a cottage, and I'd like to not winterize it this year so I can use it on occasion. I want to be able to monitor the temperature in the cottage to make sure it doesn't freeze. What are people using? I've found lots of options out there. I'd rather not have a phone line or internet there if I don't have to.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I recently bought a cottage, and I'd like to not winterize it this year so I can use it on occasion. I want to be able to monitor the temperature in the cottage to make sure it doesn't freeze. What are people using? I've found lots of options out there. I'd rather not have a phone line or internet there if I don't have to.

Then how do you expect the alarm to contact you? You could use a cell phone or a big flashing light if there will be neighbours around.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I assume the cottage has electricity. I don't know how big the cottage is but a few small pieces of electric baseboard heating should be able to keep the place from freezing

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Supply chain saw, fuel for same, and an airtight, and I'll live there for the winter.

Might have a party or twenty.

You'll have a good supply of wood come spring.

Not many trees though.

Win some - lose some.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
You options are limited
You can purchase wireless thermostat- about 400- assuming you have a connection there?
Or a progammable thermostat.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I think it's easier and much cheaper just to drain the system and light a fire when you get there

Unless you've got neighbours that are willing to check on the place. Without a communication system in place any alarm would just warn the squirrels at best

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I've found this site - Freeze Alarms with Dialers - looks like they all need a phone line? If I have to have one I can do it, I was just hoping to avoid paying for one all winter.
Everything depends on how far away you live, how low the temperature can fall, how well you cabin is insulated, and the temperature you intend to keep it at when you are not there.
That will give you the amount of time you have from the time you have a warning until you or a neighbour can get there before the pipes burst'
And you can buy a wi fi thermostat for as little as 140 bucks before taxes

nmcbride

Oct 20, 2014
Yah I'm hoping to keep it at around 7 or 8 C, than set it up so if it falls below 5 I'll get a call. That should still give me a few hours to get someone there to start a fire, fix the furnace whatever it might be. WiFi would be neat, but my kids won't get off their phones if I have that there.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Yah I'm hoping to keep it at around 7 or 8 C, than set it up so if it falls below 5 I'll get a call. That should still give me a few hours to get someone there to start a fire, fix the furnace whatever it might be. WiFi would be neat, but my kids won't get off their phones if I have that there.

Don't tell them. Or turn it off while in residence.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

You can control wifi access to designated mac addresses.