I wanna connect a router

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
yeah I know, but I do and have never done so...

just to allow a given-to-me gateway laptoppage (and perhaps my xbox360) to share my internet as a convenience computer for da wife

old linksys 2.4 router

main bulldog pc is wired-up to my cable

tips, pointers, cautions?

nudes in exchange...thanks.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Hmmm. Well I've set up routers at home for myself plenty of times but not really savvy enough on the tech speak to guide anyone through it.

Am curious though....when you say "nudes", are we saying 'selfies'? ;)

Lol.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Hmmm. Well I've set up routers at home for myself plenty of times but not really savvy enough on the tech speak to guide anyone through it.

Am curious though....when you say "nudes", are we saying 'selfies'? ;)

Lol.

they're tasty, er, tasteful, leave it at that.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
yeah I know, but I do and have never done so...

just to allow a given-to-me gateway laptoppage (and perhaps my xbox360) to share my internet as a convenience computer for da wife

old linksys 2.4 router

main bulldog pc is wired-up to my cable

tips, pointers, cautions?

nudes in exchange...thanks.
this is a job for

SuperDas!

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
negatory...laptop wants the PIN from the rogers modem (which ain't visible or is more than the 8 digits the set-up screen demands) to set up a connection or sumpin'...fuk you rogers, fuk laptops, fuk this wireless mumbo-jumbo...sorry, kinda cranky after spilling a little water from the window a/c unit I removed...coulda been worse I 'spose, coulda dropped it on a piggy.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The one that fuks you in the *** once a month, lolz

the bitch

anyway, I just don't wanna start something that screws up my main pc and then I'll get the vapours...it ain't worth the aggravation for the luxury of her having a laptop in the bedroom or shower or wherever girls use them these days.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Then why would you want to bridge a router to it?.....That modem already has wi-fi
And that is near impossible because I Tried with a sagecom modem because my previous router had more range...after a while I gave up and simply put the Modem/ router in a more central location.
While you are hadwired to it, to activate the Wi-Fi you must use the temporary password
OH heck this is better than any instructions I could give you...
http://setuprouter.com/router/hitron-technologies/cgn2-rog/manual-1028.pdf

I can do a Sagecom almost blindfolded now because this is what the telephone company uses around here ....but yours is a new one on me....so you'll have to follow the instructions

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

If you have a modem with a built in router, call Rogers (yes, yes I know, but bear with me here) tech support, you'll have to listen to their droll conversation but they will set up the WiFi for you remotely.

I know because I've done it. The set up takes about 5 minutes. We found it to be more of a pain in the a$$ than anything but we have multiple systems accessing the WiFi....it was slow. But if you're only talking about one laptop and an XBox....you should be okay.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
If you have a modem with a built in router, call Rogers (yes, yes I know, but bear with me here) tech support, you'll have to listen to their droll conversation but they will set up the WiFi for you remotely.

I know because I've done it. The set up takes about 5 minutes. We found it to be more of a pain in the a$$ than anything but we have multiple systems accessing the WiFi....it was slow. But if you're only talking about one laptop and an XBox....you should be okay.

Ya but.....to set up a password you can remember you have to go in yourself...

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Then why would you want to bridge a router to it?.....That modem already has wi-fi
And that is near impossible because I Tried with a sagecom modem because my previous router had more range...after a while I gave up and simply put the Modem/ router in a more central location.
While you are hadwired to it, to activate the Wi-Fi you must use the temporary password
OH heck this is better than any instructions I could give you...
http://setuprouter.com/router/hitron-technologies/cgn2-rog/manual-1028.pdf

I can do a Sagecom almost blindfolded now because this is what the telephone company uses around here ....but yours is a new one on me....so you'll have to follow the instructions

I know you and I had talked about this when I asked for help setting up my router. My son told me not to put into bridge mode but to actually turn off the WiFi ( from online, one of the tabs should be for the WiFi setting and sure enough there was a box to unclick)on the modem. Then you can set your router up no problem. I did it and I got mine to work. Never have had a problem with it either.

Ya but.....to set up a password you can remember you have to go in yourself...

No, you tell them what password you want and they'll put in on for you.

Unless you're worried the tech guy is going to sit outside your house and use your WiFi connection, lol.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I know you and I had talked about this when I asked for help setting up my router. My son told me not to put into bridge mode but to actually turn off the WiFi ( from online, one of the tabs should be for the WiFi setting and sure enough there was a box to unclick)on the modem. Then you can set your router up no problem. I did it and I got mine to work. Never have had a problem with it either.

No, you tell them what password you want and they'll put in on for you.

Unless you're worried the tech guy is going to sit outside your house and use your WiFi connection, lol.
My daughter has Rogers modem/router out in Mississauga and last year for some reason, it wouldn't accept the password from my tablet, and event unplugging it for ten seconds wouldn't help.....so I had to use the wps button to connect.

The tech guy is probably in India...:lol:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
My daughter has Rogers modem/router out in Mississauga and last year for some reason, it wouldn't accept the password from my tablet, and event unplugging it for ten seconds wouldn't help.....so I had to use the wps button to connect.

Well the on board routers are crap. For that matter so are their modems. If you call tech and they come to your house, they don't even look at it, just swap it out and throw your old one in the junk heap in the back of the truck. Lol Which is why when it craps out on me I pack it up and swap it out myself. Why wait for a service call between the hours of 9 and whenever in the hell they feel like it? :D