iPhone 6 - All the Hype

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
So I woke up this morning to the radio where Apple's announcement of the iPhone 6 seems to make headline news these days.

You don't get that stuff with Android or Windows last I checked, but I suppose there's a lot of yuppies out there who suck up Apple products by a large % so that's valid.

So I figured I'd take a little gander at what all the huffaluff is about with this new iPhone 6

iPhone 6 | Release date, price, specs, new features, pictures - PC Advisor

Well for one thing, the prices are just stupid for what you get. Mostly you're just paying for the extra HD space.

They finally got with the times and offering some average sized screens of 4.7 and 5.5 inch, but still nothing to write home about. Android has oddles of variations of phones and sizes, while Windows Phone (which has recently picked up several new phone manufacturers around the world to make more cost effective devices running Windows Phone 8.1) range between 4 - 6 inch.

That means 11 hours of video or Wi-Fi browsing, 50 hours of audio playback and 10 hours of 4G LTE or 3G browsing.
The Lumia 1320 (budget Phablet - Not Top of the Line Windows Phone) or the higher end 1520 can run for up to 2-3 days before requiring a charge (depending on how much you use it) and Samsung has other phones that are up there as well.

The iPhone 6 has a decent processor in it.

It has NFC now.... and works for paying for goods in shops, "...when they support Apple Pay, that is."

Nothing new there as at least Windows Phone has had NFC for a while now.

The iPhone 6 has a pretty average 8MP camera, which can now auto-focus faster than previous iPhones, finally has image stabilization and face detection.... which is again, something other phones have had for a while now.

Overall, I don't get the hype over iPhones, specifically this version. There's nothing innovative in these phones and all I see is Apple attempting to just stay relevant and trying to keep up with the other phone developers.

This is an average design by today's standards and since they usually only release a new version of their phone like once a year, this phone will be obsolete in a couple of months.

Compared to the new HTC One M8 (Windows Phone or Android Versions), or the Lumia 930, or LG G3.... I simply don't get it.

The only thing going for the iPhone 6's are its CPU and massive HD choices, which other phones can compete with using micro SD expansions...... so mostly just the CPU.

Oh and that stupid fk'n camera is still in the top corner of the phone. I HATE THAT!

It forces users to take vertical photos and videos due to its location, as while holding it landscape (like any normal phone, video camera or regular camera) your hand or fingers will either block the lens or you are forced to hold the phone in an awkward position, thus most people just hold the phone upright and you end up with stupid vertical videos posted on YouTube.

My wife used to have a Galaxy S3 and its camera was pretty far on the top section of the phone (although at least centred) and 90% of her photos/videos were vertical. In the last couple of months she picked up a Lumia 1320 and now that trend has reversed and most of her videos/photos are landscape.

The camera on the Lumias are still to one side, but still in the right position for both vertical and horizontal shots.

The positioning of the camera on iPhones is the stupidest design choice I have seen yet.

And yet, they keep with that design of having it in the top corner of the phone. Friggin Apple Yuppies who thought that was a good location need a smack in the back of the head.

In the news reports they keep repeating on the radio, they keep playing the same audio clip of them saying it's the sexiest phone ever, or something along those lines.

Sorry, it's pretty basic looking.

This phone is pretty damn good looking though:

Last edited: