'Change All Passwords' Warning Issued After Massive Internet Breach

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
An alarming lapse in Internet security has exposed millions of passwords, credit card numbers and other sensitive bits of information to potential theft by computer hackers who may have been secretly exploiting the problem before its discovery.

The breakdown revealed this week affects the encryption technology that is supposed to protect online accounts for emails, instant messaging and a wide range of electronic commerce.

Security researchers who uncovered the threat, known as "Heartbleed," are particularly worried about the breach because it went undetected for more than two years.

Although there is now a way to close the security hole, there are still plenty of reasons to be concerned, said David Chartier, CEO of Codenomicon. A small team from the Finnish security firm diagnosed Heartbleed while working independently from another Google researcher who also discovered the threat.

"I don't think anyone that had been using this technology is in a position to definitively say they weren't compromised," Charier said.

more

'Change All Passwords' Warning Issued After Internet Breach

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Wouldn't it be nice if somebody paid off all those credit cards instead of stealing somebody's last $30?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Re: Heartbleed was used as tell-tale heart by the NSA

They're not sure ... but they're sure spying to find 'em. Here's a hint spy guys: Use a hand-held mirror instead of the scopyglass

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island

Was reading an article and it said we should change our passwords, the sugest we use a . What do you think?

There is no use changing passwords until the site confirms it is safe. No sense doing it before.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

The funny thing here is as soon as I heard about this I said to the person telling me "its probably the NSA" and they laughed telling me no way could that be.