The scariest elevator ride of your life

SLM
+1
#1  Top Rated Post
So Real it's Scary - YouTube

The scariest elevator ride of your life

By Jeremy Phan

In the world of technology, seeing is believing. It isn’t real until you can touch it, hold it in your hands, press buttons on the device, or in this case, see its effects. LG, a manufacturer of everything from washing machines to the Retina display inside the Apple iPad (3rd generation), recently published an ad that demonstrates just how life-like its IPS displays are. IPS, or In-Plane Switching, is a type of LCD technology that offers very wide viewing angles, accurate & consistent colour reproduction across those wide viewing angles, and fast response times (to minimize/eliminate blurring, ghost/shadow images). It is the display technology of choice for image/graphic editors (e.g. Photoshop), gamers, and movie watchers. LG also uses the display technology on their smartphones such as the Optimus LTE that I previously reviewed. (Older LCDs use “TN” or twisted nematic technology, which is cheaper but is less accurate colour-wise and has limited viewing angles.)
In the ad, LG shows two workers rigging an elevator in a commercial office tower with the IPS displays as well as speakers for sound effects and hidden cameras to record users’ reactions. After users get into the elevator, a short while later, the lights start flickering and mechanical noises emanate from the speakers. It ends with the floor tiles seemingly “dropping out” from underneath them with their predictably freaked-out reactions.
While keen-eyed observers have pointed out in the video’s comments that the camera angles, artifacts, lack of reflections, and flush-mounted nature of the screen array means that the ad may have been green-screened and thus “fake”, it still is a creative way to illustrate a point.
Having recently imported a 27” WQHD (2,560 x 1,440) IPS monitor directly from South Korea (which utilizes the same LG panel found inside Apple’s pricey Cinema displays), I can attest to the improved image quality of an IPS panel versus traditional LCDs.
Check out the ad below and let us know what you think!

LG's life-like IPS LCD screens scare office workers | Sync

I would have had a freaking heart attack!!!!

Locutus
+1
Trolltastic job LG.

My aside...the coolest ear-popping ride I took was 1800 feet own the Little Stobie Mine in Copper Cliff. 'Open' cars, the smells, headlamps bobbing in the lighted dust. Cool. I pooped a little but it was still cool.

bill barilko
Fake-so fake it's not even funny-those office worker actors are lousy.

Why does the internet beget so much cheap fakery and why do people fall for it so easily?

Quote:

the coolest ear-popping ride I took was 1800 feet own the Little Stobie Mine in Copper Cliff.

I rode down to the 3600 foot level of Levack Mine every day-it was cold, smelly & uncomfortable but never cool-everything but in fact.

taxslave
Kind of like the view through the basket on a 80 ft manlift. Never did figure out why they insist on a mesh floor.

bill barilko
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Kind of like the view through the basket on a 80 ft manlift. Never did figure out why they insist on a mesh floor.

Less resistance.

PoliticalNick
Kinda cool. I imagine it is a set-up with actors or they would have had to concern with messy clean-up and possible heart-attacks.

The funniest bit is them all jumping onto tiles that have already dropped.

Would be a good one to pull on a healthy friend though.

bill barilko
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

Less resistance.

Lighter too-forgot that one-probably more important.

PoliticalNick
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

Lighter too-forgot that one-probably more important.

Also allows drainage when raining or snowing and provides better footing if icy.

L Gilbert
Cool vid fake or not.
When I was about 3 my dad put me in the seat of a semi he was using to haul a piece of machinery to a job. I didn't like the height off the ground or something and I squawked like crazy. I guess I figured out that it didn't really hurt because I eventually started climbing trees mountains, etc. Also been up and down countless times in the fire dept. snorkel bucket and ladder trucks. Highest elevator ride I had was in a construction cage in Vancouver that went up the TD Tower when it was being built. That was cool.

spaminator
it would be cool if something like that could be done at the cn tower.