"Smart" Hydro meters

lone wolf
Seems to me the damned things don't work well below -30 ... and that happens lots here in the North

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Seems to me the damned things don't work well below -30 ... and that happens lots here in the North

Your electric power takes "snow days"?

lone wolf
...and thunderstorm days, and changing the lightbulb in the Hydro office days. Line workers don't even work on them hot any more - and I'm supplied on a dead-end line.

"Smart" means you can't hang magnets or flip the meter to cheat Hydro ... and they can manipulate your readings from 300 miles south of here

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

...and thunderstorm days, and changing the lightbulb in the Hydro office days. Line workers don't even work on them hot any more - and I'm supplied on a dead-end line.

"Smart" means you can't hang magnets or flip the meter to cheat Hydro ... and they can manipulate your readings from 300 miles south of here

You're a prime candidate for getting off the grid and building up your own electrical service.

lone wolf
I was considering running a turbine down the chute from a beaver dam out back. The generator's the easy part. Water levels weren't really stable enough - then there's the aforementioned beavers to consider

Murphy
Wind power might be something to look into. Popular Mechanics has ran several articles about DIY wind power.

I feel that the solar industry is too high priced. They are taking advantage of the present situation in Onterrible and keeping prices up. It's the capitalist thing to do, but with some sleuthing, cheaper solar alternatives are available. Solar panels and batteries (Tesla maybe) seem to be a sensible way to go. Until too many people do it and the provincial government starts taxing people for being independent.

Jinentonix
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

You're a prime candidate for getting off the grid and building up your own electrical service.

You're not allowed to in Ontario.

Murphy
I know that there are northern communities that have their own private grid. I think the problem might be home insurance or related municipal services.

That's not to say the govt doesn't care. The municipalities make money by taxing you. There are probably tax issues as well in certain municipalities where houses are not connected to the grid.

Jinentonix
Quote: Originally Posted by MurphyView Post

I know that there are northern communities that have their own private grid. I think the problem might be home insurance or related municipal services.

That's not to say the govt doesn't care. The municipalities make money by taxing you. There are probably tax issues as well in certain municipalities where houses are not connected to the grid.

Back when Ontario Hydro was still solely owned by the people of Ontario, I could see the rationale to a degree. But with privatization on the way, forcing people to remain connected is nothing short of greed. If you generate 100% of your own power in Ontario, you're still going to get a hydro bill.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by JinentonixView Post

You're not allowed to in Ontario.

Revolucion Viva!

Murphy
Yes, you get a $40 bill , an administration fee, but that is only if there is still a hydro line physically attached to your house.

The laws would probably be determined by local governments more than the province. And, of course, the insurance company. You likely cannot get insured if you aren't connected.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

I'll PM JLM and have him come and explain sarcasm to you.

In case you are still interested, not much use trying to explain anything to that twit! You'd be better off talking to a barnacle!

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

In case you are still interested, not much use trying to explain anything to that twit! You'd be better off talking to a barnacle!

We're talking about "smart meters" and he pops up? I guess that they require some calibration before they work properly.

Murphy
You would think, given the sheer number of stories about faulty or inaccurate meters, that Hydro One would have replaced them.

Oh, wait a minute. That was a stupid statement. Never mind.

no new posts