2010 - 2011 World Junior Men's Hockey

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Canada made it by the Russians today with a score of 6 - 3. Our guys meet the Czechs tomorrow. In spite of all the talk about the team not being as good as the 2009/10 team, I thought our young men played a good game. They had almost double the shots on goal compared to the Russians. They showed a lot of spirit and drive once their nerves settled down a bit. They have a long road ahead of them and many games to win before they get a chance to take the cup back from the U.S. I wish them all the best in the games to come.

GO CANADA, GO! CANADA'S JUNIORS ROCK!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I thought Canada was sort of outplayed for most of the 1st, the Russians seemed to have a definite speed advantage. But the Canadians regrouped, and came together.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
glad canada won, and also canucks, I missed both games, with stomach upset due to too much sweet cake
topped with very sweet icing, all is well now, so I'll be back at it tomorrow.
GO CANADA GO

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This game is unpredictable at best, it is a day to day thing. Years ago when I did
play by play on radio in the BC Junior League, you sometimes wondered how a
team could be so good and yet come up short on a given night.
I hope they just keep going beating the Russians, is a confidence builder for sure
though

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I see the American team managed to win in overtime against the Finnish team. Canada out hit the Russian team by a large margin and it took it's toll in the later periods. It will be interesting to see how Canada does against the Czech team today.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Canada won their game against the Czech team by a score of 7 - 2

It was one of the worst officiated games I have seen in years. Both teams had a player ejected from the game....I think the second one was to make up for the first one. I don't know at this time what the final ruling will be.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Apparently Kassan will get a one game suspension so he won't be on the ice when the Canadians play Norway. After watching endless replays and comments by TSN, it looked like the hit was in the neck area and that was enough to get the suspension as IIHF rules are stricter about such hits. Neither the Russians nor the Czechs - especially the Czechs - looked all that great in their games. The Russians lost again to Sweden yesterday too. The Canadians are really good at penalty killing and seem to improve their game everytime they hit the ice. Hope they prevail against Norway today. Go Canadians!

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
why wouldn't I be? I am a fan of team Canada and want them to win... especially after those cocky swedes were running their mouths... and now the coach is running his mouth saying the Czechs and Russians gave them a harder challenge.. :roll:
well, Canada of course is still alive, they must defeat the Swiss and move on to the U.S.A and hopefully if all goes well meet Sweden in the goal medal game for sweet revenge.....

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
why wouldn't I be? I am a fan of team Canada and want them to win... especially after those cocky swedes were running their mouths... and now the coach is running his mouth saying the Czechs and Russians gave them a harder challenge.. :roll:
well, Canada of course is still alive, they must defeat the Swiss and move on to the U.S.A and hopefully if all goes well meet Sweden in the goal medal game for sweet revenge.....

I'm a fan of Team Canada too and also want them to win, but I love a very good close hockey game, and I
would like all the games to be that way. The swedes always have a well coached very good team, and I
would always expect them to give canada a good game.

Me frustrated, never, unless of course canada had sent a poor team, poor coaching and were not prepared,
not the case.

I find usually all the 'so called running the mouth stuff', is manufactured by the media, and if one
actually sees the interviews, it is all exagerated, I don't listen with any sincerity to'anything' they say.
The coaches all know that canada always sends a quality team, they have respect for our teams, and also,
even our coaches do make little comments to boost their own teams, that's sport, and there is some
back and forth jabber, it's fun.
Being frustrated isn't fun, I want to have fun, even when losing.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Seemed to me that the Canadians were too sloppy with the puck, too many intercepted passes and turnovers...if they don't control the puck, they'll be going home soon.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Seemed to me that the Canadians were too sloppy with the puck, too many intercepted passes and turnovers...if they don't control the puck, they'll be going home soon.

Thats what I thought too: lots of sloppy passes, not clearing the puck when they needed to (like on the one goal) and generally sub-par puck control. I also thought that when they were taking the body to the Swedes, they had the "typical" European reaction and were on the defensive. I know playing physical takes a toll on the initiators, not just the receivers but thats always been one of the advantages North Americans have had over the Europeans, particularly the Swedes. In this game it could have been decisive if we'd kept it up.