God's sport

JamesPPB

Nominee Member
Mar 15, 2010
Cricket ;-)

Ok, Canadian-peeps, how many of you
1, have played organised cricket, either at school or in a team?
2, fully (NB: fully) understand cricket?
3, attended a professional cricket match in England?
4, ditto, in Canada?

Most recently, July 09, I attended a Pro40 match in Guildford where Surrey CCC took on my county team Middlesex CCC. We won of course!
A lovely relaxing 2 to 3 hours, siiting in a small cricket ground in Surrey, very pleasant.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Cricket ;-)

Ok, Canadian-peeps, how many of you
1, have played organised cricket, either at school or in a team?
2, fully (NB: fully) understand cricket?
3, attended a professional cricket match in England?
4, ditto, in Canada?

Most recently, July 09, I attended a Pro40 match in Guildford where Surrey CCC took on my county team Middlesex CCC. We won of course!
A lovely relaxing 2 to 3 hours, siiting in a small cricket ground in Surrey, very pleasant.

I've never played or even seen it save in brief cameos in films set in the UK. I've been mildly curious about it, as it is popular in the UK and other Commonwealth countries but it seems a lot like baseball and I'm not a great fan of non-contact sports :p

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I have played it for fun, not for an organised team. It's ok.
Does anyone really fully understand it? lol
Never been to England, although as a little girl, I've been to Ireland.
Been to city team cricket here in Canuckville.

Hubby has played for many years, off and on.
He understands cricket well enough to ump it.
He's never been across the Atlantic.
And he's been to many matches in Canuckville.

The length of matches seems to depend upon the abilities of the players. Once both teams have had their hands at bat, I think the game's over. So one team gets out in the pitch, the other team's players go to bat. When that team's players have all batted, they team's swap and the team previously fielding gets to bat. No innings as far as I could tell.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
We used to play a version called "Kick the Can" on the Prairies. Mind you, playing "Ante, Ante, Eye Over!" was a hell of a lot more fun!

JamesPPB

Nominee Member
Mar 15, 2010
Wow, that was a quick match, then. I thought they were supposed to last 2 or 3 days...

Pro40 means it's a 40 overs match i.e. 40 overs per team delivered in one innnings. so that 40 x 6 (one over is 6 balls) balls. So it doesn't take more than a maximum of abour 3 hours.

The various forms of cricket in ascending order:
Twenty20 - quick games, 20 overs per team. Very popular, especially in India
Pro40 - 40 overs per team
50 0vers/ ODI - One Day International
Test match - max 2 days, sometimes 1 day.
Test series - A test series isn't as many incorrectly think a match that goes on for 3 or 4 days, but as the name implies, it is a series of Test matches between two national teams. The Ashes between England and Australia is a Test series.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I have watched them play cricket in the park across the road. I've also watched it on tv. I still don't have a clue about the rules....

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Pro40 means it's a 40 overs match i.e. 40 overs per team delivered in one innnings. so that 40 x 6 (one over is 6 balls) balls. So it doesn't take more than a maximum of abour 3 hours.

The various forms of cricket in ascending order:
Twenty20 - quick games, 20 overs per team. Very popular, especially in India
Pro40 - 40 overs per team
50 0vers/ ODI - One Day International
Test match - max 2 days, sometimes 1 day.
Test series - A test series isn't as many incorrectly think a match that goes on for 3 or 4 days, but as the name implies, it is a series of Test matches between two national teams. The Ashes between England and Australia is a Test series.
You need to be a mathematician to watch or play.

I enjoy watching sports involving people hacking each other with sticks.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I know cricket. I lived in Australia for four years and noted the Aussies obsession for the game. I even learned most of the rules and took part in a sandlot game. However, I found the game incredibly dull. When I attended a test match at in Sydney between NSW and NZ I missed almost every play as I had lost interest in the game and wasn't watching at the time. What I found most interesting at the cricket oval was watching the crowds of Aussies who arrived with coolers full to the brim of canned beer. It seemed to me that most of the crowd wasn't watching either as after an hour into the game most were too drunk to see straight.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
We used to play a version called "Kick the Can" on the Prairies. Mind you, playing "Ante, Ante, Eye Over!" was a hell of a lot more fun!

Jeez, those bring back some memories! (You are from Manitoba or Saskatchewan, methinks)...that Prairie version of cricket was a ton of fun.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Jeez, those bring back some memories! (You are from Manitoba or Saskatchewan, methinks)...that Prairie version of cricket was a ton of fun.

my dad use to take me to cricket matches at brocton oval
when I was little, I did enjoy them, not sure why, but I
just seem to have a natural interest in many sports, and
I was only about 9 yrs. old then, and kept going for a
couple of years after that.
He was an irishman, played lots of cricket and soccer too,
and we also went to soccer matches in vancouver, 'callister'
park I think was the name.

JamesPPB

Nominee Member
Mar 15, 2010
Ok, flak jacket & helmet on....now you see in England baseball is exactly the same as a children's game called rounders that I played at school. But adults don't play rounders....incoming, take cover ;) :)

(Truth be told though, I'm a huge baseball fan. Being Irish, Boston Red Sox
of course)
But on a serious note. It is interesting isn't it how diferent types of sports appeal to different cultures and climates?
So oddly, England is the only first division cricketing nation that isn't in the southern hemisphere.
Another odd fact about cricket - from the numbers who watch international matches on TV (approx 400,000,000 in India when India are playing) and the number of teams/players worldwide, and the number of countries that play,the Cricket World Cup is the THIRD largest sporting event in the world after the Football World Cup and the Summer Olympics.

You see, some English exports were wanted! ;)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I thought this thread was titled "God's sport"?

That could only be one sport, lacrosse, the Creator's Game, lol.

All kidding aside, Cricket's a decent game, and like baseball, the bat makes a wonderful self defense weapon in the off season.

JamesPPB

Nominee Member
Mar 15, 2010
I thought this thread was titled "God's sport"?

That could only be one sport, lacrosse, the Creator's Game, lol.

All kidding aside, Cricket's a decent game, and like baseball, the bat makes a wonderful self defense weapon in the off season.

Which is why there is a full size Slazenger cricket bat next to the front door.
Lacrosse..only played by schoolgirls in England ;-)

That said it looks like a tough sport.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Which is why there is a full size Slazenger cricket bat next to the front door.
Lacrosse..only played by schoolgirls in England ;-)
Really? Or are you thinking of Girls field hockey? Of which my wife was captain of the team. There was many a weekend I got no loving, because those girls were so rough, they would bruise each others box with those hooked sticks.

That said it looks like a tough sport.
You should see it played without pads or gloves.