Canadian Team Beats US - Again

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It all came down the last shot-on-goal by the US during the shoot-out following a 5-minute overtime period. After Canada had scored three goals in a row, and the US had followed with two - our Canadian goalie stopped the last shot and Canada once again beat the US to win a bye into the play-offs.

I am not a big fan of hockey but I do like to catch these games as, IMHO, this is where real hockey can be seen. The game was fast-paced and well-played by both teams. I have to give the US credit as they never stopped and were leading by two points in the second period. Canada managed to regroup in the third and came back to tie the game forcing it into overtime.

Overtime came and went with nary a score and that brought up the shoot-out. To me, this was hockey at its very best, and I congratulate our Canadian Juniors on a fabulous game and wish them all the best in the play-offs. EH! OH! GO CANADA GO! :canada:

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
As far as I am concerned Olympic hockey has suffered because the amateur component is gone. One will see all their favourite hockey stars play like they do on regular season but no one will see future stars.

Because of the lucrative contracts the professional hockey players they won’t do what it takes to win the game because if they get hurt their contracts is in jeopardy.

The Olympics should ban professional players and bring the event back to what it used to be.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I am an absolute, dyed in the wool" hockey fan. I think the best hockey played is the world junior championships. Although Canada won the game, we still had a goal called back because of some obscure reason that was never clear which would have won the game right there but we had to win it again in the shoot out.. There are still some strong teams waiting so it should be a rewarding series.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Too bad the final results was arrived at with the most insane method, devised by the brainless yahooes who run world soccer: Shoot-out!

I always thought hockey was a TEAM sport. Determining the final result of a game by a few selected players from each team, while the rest of their teams are sitting idle, is a shameless denial of that fact.

Sudden death, with entire teams particip[ating is a far more better solution to resolve a tie.

Having said that, I am glad Canada won.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I am an absolute, dyed in the wool" hockey fan. I think the best hockey played is the world junior championships. Although Canada won the game, we still had a goal called back because of some obscure reason that was never clear which would have won the game right there but we had to win it again in the shoot out.. There are still some strong teams waiting so it should be a rewarding series.

Good point about that goal, Juan. I asked a friend of mine why it wasn't counted - he is a real hockey buff. He told me that a Canadian player had fallen (or been pushed though it is hard to tell) knocking down the US goalie. Apparently that nullifies any goaled scored when the goalie is down on the ice. Make sense to you???

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
that was a pretty amazing game. Canada was down 2-4 at one point.

Jsiooa, my heart was beating so fast during the last few minutes of the third period that my adrenalin level must have been over the top. It was a super game. Both teams played well and deserve congratulations. GO CANADA, GO!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
They have crease violations in world junior. Whistle goes and face-off is moved outside the blueline.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Too bad the final results was arrived at with the most insane method, devised by the brainless yahooes who run world soccer: Shoot-out!

I always thought hockey was a TEAM sport. Determining the final result of a game by a few selected players from each team, while the rest of their teams are sitting idle, is a shameless denial of that fact.

Sudden death, with entire teams particip[ating is a far more better solution to resolve a tie.

My friend, the hockey buff, said pretty much the same thing after the game, YJ. He doesn't think it is at all fair to put the pressure of a win or lose on one person. When Allen, our goalie stopped that last shot, I had to check the replay to make sure. What a game.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
They have crease violations in world junior. Whistle goes and face-off is moved outside the blueline.

Sorry to be so dense, Kreskin, but what exactly is a crease violation? Is it that the Canadian player was on top of the US goalies? Thank you.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
My understanding is if there is any goaltender interference in the crease, even if just a bump, it isn't usually a penalty but the play is stopped and the face-off brought to the neutral zone. Laying on the goalie would be an issue lol.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
My understanding is if there is any goaltender interference in the crease, even if just a bump, it isn't usually a penalty but the play is stopped and the face-off brought to the neutral zone. Laying on the goalie would be an issue lol.

Thank you, Kreskin. From what I saw it was unintentional but the goalie was definitely down and our player was on top of him. So, no goal - ah well, we won fair and square anyway. Yeah, Canada.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

Sudden death can go on for 4 or 5 or more periods, setting
up teams for 'fatigue' and 'injury', which influences future games, so
it also is an unfair way to determine wins,(in a tournament situation), as it gives
fresher teams an advantage in the next game. I agree with
it for final championship games only.

NHL have sudden death in playoffs, and no shoot-out, it is exciting for a
while, but after two periods it begins to 'sag', as teams
get slower and clumsier and very tired.

Maybe a limit of two periods for sudden death, then a
shoot-out.
Personally I like the shoot-out, and it can go on for
some time too, and many players have a chance to shoot,
doesn't take away from team play, the players like it too,
a very exciting time for all.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

I like junior hockey too Juan, lots of energy with those
young guys, many of them look like kids, they have a lot
of filling out to do, and we won't recognize many of them
when they get into NHL, they will be 20 or 30 pounds heavier, and much stronger.
It's nice to see the american team come up to the top level,
this is the first year they have had try-outs to make their
team.
I don't watch the tournament till the teams have equalled out
as the first few games are so lopsided and boring if Canada
or the u.s. is participating.
It's too bad Cody Hodgson couldn't participate, he's still
having trouble with his back, and I hope it is fully healed by training camp next season.

GO CANADA GO

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
On the disallowed goal, it was a good call. I'm sure the ref was glad that Canada won in the end though! lol His car might have been flipped!

IIHF Rules
471 - DISALLOWING A GOAL
a) No goal shall be allowed:
1. If an attacking player deliberately kicks, throws, bats with the hands or otherwise
directs the puck by any means other than his stick into the goal net even if the
puck has been further deflected by any player, goalkeeper or official,
2. If an attacking player contacted the puck with the stick above the cross bar,
3. If the puck has been directly deflected into the goal net off an official,
4. If an attacking player stands or holds his stick in the goal crease when the
puck enters the goal net, unless he has been physically interfered with, by
the action of any defending player so as to cause him to be in the goal crease
when the puck enters the goal net, unless if in the opinion of the Referee, he
had sufficient time to get out of the crease or unless Rule 470 applies.
5. If the goal net has been displaced from its normal position, or the frame of
the goal net is not completely flat on the ice.
6. If an attacking player initiates contact with the goalkeeper, incidental or
otherwise, while the goalkeeper is in his goal crease and a goal is scored.

7. If an attacking player initiates any contact with the goalkeeper, other than
incidental contact, while goalkeeper is outside his goal crease and a goal is scored.
8. Where an attacking player enters or takes a position within the goal crease,
so as to obstruct the goalkeeper's vision and impair his ability to defend his
goal net and a goal is scored.

9. Where a goalkeeper has been pushed into the goal net together with the puck
after making a stop. If applicable, appropriate penalties shall be assessed.

Great game though. Hard for the US side I'm sure, they played a better game longer. Ellis was crap. Bad decisions all game.