CFL Semi-Final Results

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Congratulations to the BC Lions and their fans. The Lions won in overtime after Hamilton scored a TD and 2-point convert in the dieing seconds of the last quarter.
Fan fervor was running high as the two teams squared off to play for the tie-breaker. The Lions were on the scoreboard first and Hamilton was unable to put the needed points on the board. Hamilton played a good solid game and gave their fans a reason to come back next year. I give much credit to the coaching staff and the GM for bringing this team along so well this year.

The Eskimos travelled to Calgary for what was being called the Battle of Alberta. In the end, it seemed to me more like a skirmish. Both teams played fairly well, though with all the penalties the Esks took they could have at least had another TD. Fred Stamps had dropsy for a good part of the game which really limited Rickie Ray's ability to move the ball down the field. Neither QB threw any interceptions but there were some close calls. The score at half-time almost mirrored that of the Hamilton - BC game at half-time. I am still sratching my head over the Stamp player's decision not to run the ball out with 22 seconds left on the clock.

With the 13th man in play, Calgary truly had hometown advantage and managed to hang in for the win. Congratulations to the Stamps and their fans. And better luck next year to the Esks and theirs.

I would have been much happier to see the Esks win if only because I felt that the Riders could easily beat them next weekend in Mosaic, whereas the Stamps will be out for revenge and could make things dicey. You can be sure I will be glued to my seat once again for both play-off games; Montreal beating BC and Sask trumping the Stamps.

But then, that's just my opinion. ;-)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The Lions O Line takes way too many penalties. Between them and the on again off again defense, next week will be tough.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The Lions O Line takes way too many penalties. Between them and the on again off again defense, next week will be tough.

Tough you say, oh Kreskin. Ha! It is going to be a massacre! Montreal will whip those pussies but good and show them what a real CFL team can do. BC fans better celebrate now because they will be whining and weeping come the end of the 4th quarter next weekend. ;-)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm seeing a repeat of last year but this time the Stamps will win the cup on home turf.

LikelyGuy

Usually Confused
Sep 7, 2009
The Cariboo
Yes the Lions are due for an ass whupping, especially by Montreal. BUT, that's why they're nicknamed the 'Cardiac Kids' (it ain't over 'til it's over, never bet against them, especially when they're the underdogs).

Underdog... now that was a great cartoon. Sorry, I get, get... what the heck was my point again?

Oh yeah, Lions 28, Als 17. (That was either phrophetic or I had a brain hemorrhage.)

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
good for our lions, they are salvaging whatever they can from a very up and down,
quarter back injured, team, and with casey at the bat, anything can happen.
All the pressure will be on Montreal next week, lions can do 'anything' and no one
will criticize them now, BUT if they win, well, what if ---------

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I'm seeing a repeat of last year but this time the Stamps will win the cup on home turf.

Will depend a lot on whether the Riders concentrated on practicing during the bye and kept in playing condition. They can surprise us and have many times in the past. Wasn't too impressed by Hank's remarks prior to the game yesterday wherein he bypassed beating the Esks (which they did) forgetting they have to meet the Riders next weekend, and went on to talk about meeting Montreal. I like Hank but he went a bit too far for those comments. As with the Stamps in their home stadium yesterday, the 13th man will play a big part in their game at Mosiac, you can be sure.

Just love this 'friendly' rivalry, thanks for participating.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Yes the Lions are due for an ass whupping, especially by Montreal. BUT, that's why they're nicknamed the 'Cardiac Kids' (it ain't over 'til it's over, never bet against them, especially when they're the underdogs).

Underdog... now that was a great cartoon. Sorry, I get, get... what the heck was my point again?

Oh yeah, Lions 28, Als 17. (That was either phrophetic or I had a brain hemorrhage.)

Gotta say, Printers was impressive yesterday. Kept waiting for him to throw an interception but my telepathy wasn't working. They have to work hard on not committing stupid penalties then, maybe - just maybe, they will put points on the board. Enough to beat the mighty Anthony???? Now that is anyone's guess. :lol:

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
I am really looking forward to the games on Sunday. I would love to see Printers do so well again and have a BC / Sask Grey Cup.
I hope the Riders take the win. Would have felt a little bit better if they were going up against the Eskies.
No matter what though, the games are going to be amazing!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I am really looking forward to the games on Sunday. I would love to see Printers do so well again and have a BC / Sask Grey Cup.
I hope the Riders take the win. Would have felt a little bit better if they were going up against the Eskies.
No matter what though, the games are going to be amazing!

I share your enthusiasm about the games this weekend, Hazmart. I was so excited last weekend I could hardly sit still so I imagine this weekend they will have to tape me to my seat :lol::lol: I am going over to my friend's house to watch them on Big Screen HD TV .... oh yowzah!!!!

Wish I could honestly say that I share you support of BC but I can't. I simply do not like the coach, not one bit, not at all, never have, never will. However, I really like Paris Jackson and Geroy Simon, they are fabulous players and I can't help cheering a bit when they make a big play.

Of course, being a Rider supporter since I was a little girl, my hopes are with them all the way. Darian has come so far this year when so many thought he was not good enough. I had faith, I went through many of the years when they were saying the same thing about Ronnie Lancaster, our hero. Ron proved the naysayers wrong and Darian is doing his best to do so too. I also am proud of what Ken Miller has done for the team for the past two years in spite of heavy criticism. He and the GM (whose name escapes me at the moment... old brain cells, I'm sure) should be roundly applauded for all they have done to build our team to what it is today.

In spite of all my hopes for the Riders and having watched every single CFL game this year, I have a niggling feeling about Montreal. They are simply awesome and Anthony Caviello is one great QB.

But then, that's just my opinion. ;-);-)

P.S. I use the Rider logo as my desktop wallpaper, glad to see you flying the colors. :smile:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Congratulations to the BC Lions and their fans. The Lions won in overtime after Hamilton scored a TD and 2-point convert in the dieing seconds of the last quarter.
Fan fervor was running high as the two teams squared off to play for the tie-breaker. The Lions were on the scoreboard first and Hamilton was unable to put the needed points on the board. Hamilton played a good solid game and gave their fans a reason to come back next year. I give much credit to the coaching staff and the GM for bringing this team along so well this year.

The Eskimos travelled to Calgary for what was being called the Battle of Alberta. In the end, it seemed to me more like a skirmish. Both teams played fairly well, though with all the penalties the Esks took they could have at least had another TD. Fred Stamps had dropsy for a good part of the game which really limited Rickie Ray's ability to move the ball down the field. Neither QB threw any interceptions but there were some close calls. The score at half-time almost mirrored that of the Hamilton - BC game at half-time. I am still sratching my head over the Stamp player's decision not to run the ball out with 22 seconds left on the clock.

With the 13th man in play, Calgary truly had hometown advantage and managed to hang in for the win. Congratulations to the Stamps and their fans. And better luck next year to the Esks and theirs.

I would have been much happier to see the Esks win if only because I felt that the Riders could easily beat them next weekend in Mosaic, whereas the Stamps will be out for revenge and could make things dicey. You can be sure I will be glued to my seat once again for both play-off games; Montreal beating BC and Sask trumping the Stamps.

As soon as hamilton chose to go on defense to start the overtime, I thought
to myself, (what a silly choice), as lions defense had just finished giving up
a touchdown and a two pointer to hamilton, they were tired, and hamilton
should have made them drag their butts out on the field again right away.
Poor strategy on their part, but good on the lions, they got it done.

GO LIONS GO

the lions will erase all of those stupid penalties for this week ends game,
they can't afford, even one.
Just look at that beautiful play printers did with that throw and a great catch
by geroy simon, only to have it brought back because of some bonehead
penalty, that has to stop.

I looked up 'illegal procedure', but could only get a cloudy description of 'what'
exactly it is, something to do with improper lineup on the O line?
Could someone explain.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
As soon as hamilton chose to go on defense to start the overtime, I thought
to myself, (what a silly choice), as lions defense had just finished giving up
a touchdown and a two pointer to hamilton, they were tired, and hamilton
should have made them drag their butts out on the field again right away.
Poor strategy on their part, but good on the lions, they got it done.

GO LIONS GO

the lions will erase all of those stupid penalties for this week ends game,
they can't afford, even one.
Just look at that beautiful play printers did with that throw and a great catch
by geroy simon, only to have it brought back because of some bonehead
penalty, that has to stop.

I looked up 'illegal procedure', but could only get a cloudy description of 'what'
exactly it is, something to do with improper lineup on the O line?
Could someone explain.

From: "Glossary of terms used in the Canadian Football League

illegal procedure

A five-yard penalty against the kicking team or the offence. Most often it is a lineman who moves after taking a three- or four-point stance but before the snap. Other illegal procedures include kicking the ball out of bounds on a kick-off and "no end".

no end
A penalty on the offence for having fewer than seven players within one yard of the line of scrimmage at the snap. It is most often called on field goalattempts because of the curved formation of linemen used: if the line is curved back too far, the ends are too far back to be considered linemen, and are called for "illegal procedure: no end".