Tomasz Adamek vs Andrew Golota

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Tomasz Adamek vs Andrew Golota

August 28, 2009 · posted by press release · 173 views

LODZ, Poland—International Boxing Federation cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek has made a bold move up to heavyweight to face the best Polish heavyweight ever, Andrew Golota, on Saturday, Oct. 24 in the new Lodz Arena in Lodz, Poland. Golota and Adamek appeared at a media-packed press conference on Tuesday at the Warsaw Marriott to announce what the Polish media have dubbed as, “The Polish Fight of the Century.” Interest for this fight is so great in Poland that three national television outlets carried the press conference live..
Interestingly, Adamek (38-1, 26 KOs), from Gilowice, is the one who asked for the match.
“If somebody asks to me to dance, I never say no, and this was Adamek’s idea not mine,” Golota said at the press conference, “so I said, why not? He has never fought anybody from the heavyweight division, and has no idea how hard we can hit. He will know in about two months.”
The Warsaw native added: “I hate breaks in training, my place is in Chicago, but I understand they [promoters] had to make this official because nobody could believe he wants this fight, including me. Adamek is faster than bullet and lightning combined—so they say—so I’m supposed to be very careful. But he is also easy to hit. This is the way I see this fight.”
Adamek did not appreciate the Warsaw-born Golota (41-7-1, 33 KOs) poking fun at him, and both fighters appeared to have a genuine dislike for one another.
“Andrew is Andrew, always laughing, making jokes, some of them about my skills,” Adamek said. “No problem. Nobody ever went down from words. Let’s see what will happen when we will be in the ring. Two words from me: speed kills. He will never be close enough to hit me.”
“Just happens this way that I will fight two 40-year-olds, first Golota and then, hopefully, Bernard Hopkins on January 30 in Newark. I will finish both of their careers.
Peter Garczarczyk, a Chicago-based sportswriter born in Poland that now writes for several Polish-based publications, is a longtime confidant to both Golota and Adamek. He also attended the press conference in Warsaw.
“Boxing fans in America may not know how big this fight is in Poland and how much these two fighters genuinely don’t like one another,” Garczarczyk said. “Golota thinks Adamek’s victories and world championships don’t measure up to the quality of opposition he has faced in his heavyweight career, and Adamek detests the fact that so many Polish people still revere Golota
“I believe the only reason this fight is taking place is because Adamek wants to take Golota’s place in the hearts and minds of the Polish people. Adamek thinks he is merely using Golota as a stepping stone in his quest to be regarded as the best Polish fighter in history. He wants to settle this score now before moving on to even greater accomplishments.”
Don King promotes Golota and formerly promoted Adamek, having given the young Pole his first opportunity to fight for a world championship.
“Golota and Adamek are fighting for something bigger than a world championship or money; they’re fighting for country,” King said. “In Poland, this fight will compare to our Super Bowl or the World Cup in terms of demand and attention.
“I’ll be ringside in Poland for this one. Polish fans are what we call in the ghetto SKD, meaning they are something kind-of different. They are real fanatics, and this fight cuts right down cultural, spiritual and visceral lines that run right through the country. There’s never been anything quite like this in Poland.
“I love Poland and I love the Polish people. I have visited the Warsaw Rising Museum that pays tribute to the Polish resistance movement in World War II and Oswiecim Concentration Camps. I hope to meet Lech Walesa and President Lech Kaczynski during my visit to the great country of Poland.”
The fight will be staged in the 14,000-seat Lodz Arena, which opened in May, in the large city of Lodz located 85 miles from the nation’s capital of Warsaw. Ticket prices, on-sale date and purchase locations are planned to be announced next week.
Golota and Adamek co-promoter Ziggy Rozalski has completed a deal with Polish national television broadcaster Polsat to televise the fight live in Poland. The fight is being promoted by Ziggy Promotions, Don King Productions and Polsat_______________________________

Go Adamek , A good Polish Catholic boy.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Golota vs. Adamek

'Polish Fight of the Century' on Oct. 24 at Arena Lodz in Lodz, Poland
LODZ, Poland (September 16, 2009) - Tickets went on sale yesterday in Lodz, Poland, for the match between the best Polish heavyweight in history, Andrew Golota, and the bestnon-heavyweight Polish fighter, Tomasz Adamek, which will take place on Saturday, Oct. 24 at Arena Lodz.​
"Tickets are now on sale and everything is on schedule for the Polish Fight of the Century," promoter Zyggi Rozalski said. "Demand for this event in Poland is very high."​
Tickets priced at $90, $55 and $27, with a limited number of premium seats available for $345, are available online at www.biletyna.pl, www.eventim.pl, www.ticketonline.pl and www.ebilet.pl.​
Powerhouse Polish television network Polsat, who is co-promoting the event, will televise the fight live throughout Poland as well.​
Training Camp Notes
Andrew Golota is entering his fourth week of training in Chicago for this match. Golota suffered multiple tendon tears near his left bicep during the first round of his last match against Ray Austin in November during a bout staged in Chengdu, China. He had surgery to correct the injury in May and says the recovery has gone well. "So far, so good with my elbow," Golota said. "Right now, I have no special problems with it, just the usual pain when you hit the bag. This is a normal part of boxing."​
Sparring began this week under the guidance of his longtime Windy City trainer Sam Colonna in a southwest Chicago gym. Golota currently weighs just over 250 pounds and plans to enter the ring somewhere around 245 pounds. He plans to rely on his power and ring experience when fighting his lighter, faster rival. "It's personal for me. This is the fight that I cannot lose. He's a world champion; I will give him that, but a rookie when it comes to the heavyweights."​
Colonna, who started working with Golota after the Pole moved to Chicago in 1992, obviously doesn't want to go into detail about how he will prepare Golota to fight Adamek but did say this: "He will be surprised, for sure," Colonna said of Adamek. "I prepared Adamek for his first world championship fight against Paul Briggs. I know what Adamek likes to do in the ring, and I know what he is not as comfortable with. Andrew will be ready. He looked fabulous leading up to his last fight in China before suffering the injury in the first round of the fight with Ray Austin. He is already hitting harder than I expected him to at this point of training camp.​
Tomasz Adamek is training at the Rocky Marciano Gym in Jersey City, N.J. training camp. The International Boxing Federation cruiserweight champion, and former World Boxing Council light heavyweight champion, will be making his first appearance at heavyweight. He will again be working under the guidance of legendary Polish amateur and professional trainer Andrzej Gmitruk, who recently joined the camp after arriving from his home in Poland.​
Just as Colonna has trained Adamek, Gmitruk also formerly trained was a former trainer of Golota. "Tomek will show everybody how good he is and how good he will be a as a heavyweight," Gmitruk said. "I have seen all of Golota's fights and also know how effective the smaller heavyweights, like Evander Holyfield, can be. Sometimes, heavyweight can give away even 35 to 45 pounds and still be effective. We will have two or three options of strategy to deploy depending on how Golota wants to fight. I never ask my fighters for one knockout punch, but in this case Tomek will have many opportunities for knockouts due to his superior hand speed and power."​
Adamek said he plans to enter the ring around 215 pounds and has stressed how significant this fight is for him. "It's a very, very important fight for me," Adamek said. "It's my natural weight, I did not lose any speed as the tests are proving it. I gained power and will start sparring in couple of days. I expect to have least two heavyweights to prepare myself for Golota. Hopefully, one of them will be a good friend of Andrew's–Ray Austin, who defeated him in China."​
Andrew Golota
Tomasz Adamek

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Adamek has options in two divisions after crushing Golota
Sunday, October 25, 2009 | Print Entry

The cruiserweight champ, outweighed by 42 pounds, took it to Golota from the outset and laid a beating on him in Lodz, Poland, en route to a fifth-round TKO in the most heavily hyped fight in Polish history.
Adamek scored two knockdowns -- in the first round and in the fifth round -- before unloading on the helpless Golota to force the stoppage later in the fifth round.
While Golota (41-8-1, 33 KOs) is surely finished at this point with yet another nonperformance in a big fight, Adamek is fighting very well right now. The best thing for him is that he has options. He can stay at heavyweight or return to cruiserweight to defend the lineal title. Is there a future fight with Wladimir Klitschko or Vitali Klitschko in his future? Both Klitschkos were willing to give former cruiserweight champ David Haye a shot until he punked out against both of them. Why not Adamek? Perhaps a fight with the winner of the Roy Jones-Bernard Hopkins rematch at cruiserweight?
Adamek (39-1, 27 KOs) and his promoter, Kathy Duva of Main Events, will weigh the options. They won't make any rash decisions; rather, they'll see where they can make the biggest fight for the most money.
Adamek likely will return to fight in his adopted home base of Newark, N.J., in early February, but in which division he'll box hasn't been determined. Here's some of what Adamek and his team had to say after the victory:
On the magnitude of the fight: "I will never forget this moment, fighting in front of almost 17,000 Polish fans against a Polish legend that went through many great battles. It was a meaningful night for me. By beating Andrew Golota I made a statement about my power. I wanted to show how good I can be as a heavyweight. I got hit couple of times pretty hard, but I was never in danger. Looks like my iron chin will work for me in a higher weight class also."
On scoring the knockout: "I never treat any fight as something personal and it was the same this time. I did not plan to knock Golota out. It was not my intention. After the first knockdown, I knew I could hit him at will. I paced myself in Round 2 and 3, waiting for the right moment to up my tempo. [Trainer] Andrew Gmitruk was telling me to not get too cocky. I remembered this every minute I was in the ring. It was not easy win, regardless of the outcome. I had to be careful not to get hit by this powerful 260-pound man. It worked."
On fighting as a heavyweight: "I hope I proved to everybody that I can be 215 pounds and be effective as a heavyweight. But my foes in the cruiserweight division should not be too happy yet. If the major television outlets will offer great fights, I will be back and knock out those guys too."
On his future: "I will go back to the U.S. in couple of days, maybe enjoy myself for couple of weeks and then eagerly await the next challenge. It's in my nature not to be lazy for too long. I love my home, wife and two daughters, but after a while I miss the ring. I want to thank everybody who believed in my skills and determination. I never had a doubt about the outcome of this fight. I want also to thank Andrew for accepting this fight. He helped me realize my dream of becoming a heavyweight."
Here's some of what Gmitruk had to say about his pupil after the victory:
"I knew this fight would look this way. To be honest, after the first knockdown this fight was over. It was just question of time. Adamek will use every weakness of his opponent so mercilessly. It was painful to watch. Tomasz used Golota's slowness to do exactly what we were talking about in training. Tomasz hit Golota with a lot of body shots and just peppered him with combinations when Golota was getting tired. Adamek was very calm and composed. I think this is the biggest change in his style of fighting. He picks when to attack in the best possible moments, never leaving his rival a chance to react. He is not going into unnecessary brawls. We were working on this, but I'm not sure this is something you can teach. He just has it. Golota wanted to tear Adamek's head off and was not pacing himself. He fought exactly like we thought he would."
Here's what Duva thought of her company's franchise fighter:
"It wasn't just that Tomasz Adamek knocked out Andrew Golota; it was the way he did it. Watch the highlights. He showed power and speed. He showed he has a heavyweight punch and incredible combinations. Adamek made a statement. And from the texts I started getting directly after the fight, the boxing world is taking notice."
"We are going to assess all of our options in the coming weeks. Basically we are interested in the most money we can make. We have cruiserweight options and we now have heavyweight options. I couldn't be happier for Tomasz."

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Adamek not committing to heavyweight division

Posted Oct. 25, 2009 at 01:29pm
By Przemek Garczarczyk

Tomasz Adamek (right) proved to be too much for Andrew Golota on Saturday in Lodz, Poland. Photo / Zofia Szuster

LODZ, Poland -- Tomasz Adamek is leaving his options open.

THE RING cruiserweight champion knocked out countryman Andrew Golota in the fifth round of their heavyweight bout on Saturday but won’t commit to fighting only in the sport’s highest-profile division.

Adamek weighed in at 214 pounds for the fight, 14 above the cruiserweight limit and 42 fewer than Golota.

“I hope I proved tonight to everybody that I can (weigh) 215 pounds and be effective as a heavyweight,” he said immediately after the fight. “But my foes in the cruiserweight division should not be too happy yet. If the major television outlets will offer great fights, I will be back and knock out those guys too. …”

“I will go to U.S. in couple of days, maybe enjoy myself for couple of weeks, and then eagerly await the next challenge. It’s in my nature not to be lazy for too long.”

Adamek couldn’t have more pleased with his performance, especially because it was in front of 17,000 Polish fans.

He knocked down his slow, inactive opponent once in the first round and then again in the fifth, after which a flurry of unanswered punches prompted the referee to end the fight. Golota quite simply was overwhelmed.

“I will never forget this moment," Adamek said. "Fighting in front of almost 17,000 fans against the guy who was the Polish legend and went through many great battles. After this fight, I’m sure I will have more of them. By beating Andrew Golota I wanted to make a statement about my power and wanted to show how good a heavyweight I can be. I got hit couple of times pretty hard, but I was never in danger. Looks like my iron chin will work for me also in the higher weight class.”

Golota, once a top contender but now a relatively slow 41 year old, sat dejectedly in his dressing after the fight.

“I really cannot believe how easily I lost this fight,” he said. “I started bad and everything went downhill from there. I let Adamek do in the ring whatever he wanted. How could I wait for him, instead of being an aggressor? Adamek used this to perfection and has a very explosive punch.

"I don’t know what will happen now. Maybe boxing is not for me anymore; maybe I should quit this sport. I worked so hard, but could not muster any offense against Adamek.”

< Previous | Next >