How is the fishing in your region?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I headed out this AM pre-dawn loaded up with enough supplies to spend a day at the lakeshore.

I'd didn't even finish my Tim's let alone crack open a tall can and I hit limit. 5 casts, 5 fish. I threw back one walleye and took home the 4 pickerel.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Nice! I haven't been out fishing yet this season, hoping to do some fishing when I go camping next week.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
To fish bass in Sask the only place I know of is Boundary dam. It is a reservoir for a coal/gas fired powerstation which heats the lake enough in winter for them to survive. Be damned (dammed?) if I'll fish out of a mercury and arsenic pit like that. It is rumour that because of the warmth there are pike that can bite off toes. Last summer an RCMP diver searching for a drowned swimmer received some nasty bites that needed umpteen stitches.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I headed out this AM pre-dawn loaded up with enough supplies to spend a day at the lakeshore.

I'd didn't even finish my Tim's let alone crack open a tall can and I hit limit. 5 casts, 5 fish. I threw back one walleye and took home the 4 pickerel.
Now you have given me some food for thought (pun intended). I'm off on Friday and Saturday and so is my husband. Thought we would go camping but-----I have to work at 8:00 A.M. Sunday. So - maybe we'll take the boat out instead and see what the ocean has to offer up. Be nice to come home with a good sized salmon.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Now you have given me some food for thought (pun intended). I'm off on Friday and Saturday and so is my husband. Thought we would go camping but-----I have to work at 8:00 A.M. Sunday. So - maybe we'll take the boat out instead and see what the ocean has to offer up. Be nice to come home with a good sized salmon.
You ever heard about the hooker that went fishing and came back with a red snapper?

I had a craving for fish and chips so white meat it must be. In fall I'll go for the big lake trouts and fire up the smoker.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm kind of between boats right now. I sold my boat last year and haven't yet replaced it. I almost had a deal on a beautiful, diesel powered sport fisher but it fell through when the seller got a better offer that I couldn't comfortably match. If I can't find a boat in the next few weeks I'll wait till next year, unless I find a really super boat. There is a boating season that is more than half over and moorage is well over three hundred a month.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
You ever heard about the hooker that went fishing and came back with a red snapper? hahaha

I had a craving for fish and chips so white meat it must be. In fall I'll go for the big lake trouts and fire up the smoker.
If you have a craving for white fish - you need to come to the Island "just for the Halibut"!!!!! :lol:
Try cooking your fish in Panko breading instead of batter. It's very good.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I'm kind of between boats right now. I sold my boat last year and haven't yet replaced it. I almost had a deal on a beautiful, diesel powered sport fisher but it fell through when the seller got a better offer that I couldn't comfortably match. If I can't find a boat in the next few weeks I'll wait till next year, unless I find a really super boat. There is a boating season that is more than half over and moorage is well over three hundred a month.
We shared the cost of a boat with our son. He uses it at least 75% more than we do. It's only an 18 footer so - he gave up his garage space and he parks the boat in there. Stays in better condition if you keep it out of the water when you don't use it. Bet there will be lots of used boats for sale very soon. Have you googled "used Nanaimo". You'll find them there.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
My husband and daughter are leaving for ucluelet tomorrow, (again), fishing is
great over there, my grandson caught a 26lb spring two weeks ago in ucluelet,
and they also caught some coho.
We have another daughter who has cottage rentals there, so they can stay on
her property, otherwise very expensive.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

Awesome, we've had one of the best years yet. Perch coming out our ears, huge cats, three weeks until we hit the Ganny for Salmon. I hope our luck holds out. It should, we've been giving tobacco every time we take fish, so the Great Spirit should be happy with us.
Try cooking your fish in Panko breading instead of batter. It's very good.
SCB says you are correct. We don't fry much fish anymore, but when we do, that's the only way to go. Comes out great every time.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

Awesome, we've had one of the best years yet. Perch coming out our ears, huge cats, three weeks until we hit the Ganny for Salmon. I hope our luck holds out. It should, we've been giving tobacco every time we take fish, so the Great Spirit should be happy with us.
SCB says you are correct. We don't fry much fish anymore, but when we do, that's the only way to go. Comes out great every time.
It's lighter and a little easier on the wasteline. Chicken fingers work well with the panko too.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We shared the cost of a boat with our son. He uses it at least 75% more than we do. It's only an 18 footer so - he gave up his garage space and he parks the boat in there. Stays in better condition if you keep it out of the water when you don't use it. Bet there will be lots of used boats for sale very soon. Have you googled "used Nanaimo". You'll find them there.

The boat we are looking for will be something around forty feet with a fifteen foot beam. I would like twin diesel engines but I could put up with a single engine depending on what it was. We are not rich. We just turned an unexpected inheritance into a boat fund a few years ago. We know what we want but we also know that what we want is not necessarily what we will get.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The boat we are looking for will be something around forty feet with a fifteen foot beam. I would like twin diesel engines but I could put up with a single engine depending on what it was. We are not rich. We just turned an unexpected inheritance into a boat fund a few years ago. We know what we want but we also know that what we want is not necessarily what we will get.
Well - check out used nanaimo and also have a look at kijiiji nanaimo. Amazing things for sale on those sites. You might just find exactly what it is you are looking for. We don't use a boat enough to warrant anything like that and we couldn't begin to afford it anyway.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Once again i bought my fishing lisence with salmon tag.
Funny the largest run of salmon in 10 years just disappeared.
No commercial or sport fishery,but our native brothers still have their nets out ,
and fish are still on sale (10 bucks a piece)in the parking lot of your local watering hole.or at the local Res.
I am pretty sure global climate change warming is responsible.

Reactions: Ron in Regina