Adamek vs. Golota: Polish Fight of the Century?

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Adamek vs. Golota: Polish Fight of the Century?

Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Posted By Dave "Large" Larzelere 3:01 PM
Rumors have flooded the internet today that a heavyweight bout between current IBF cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek and 41-year-old former heavyweight challenger Andrew Golota has been signed and sealed for October 10 in Poland. As of yet, these are only rumors, but it’s hard not to be seduced by the concept, because this would unquestionably be Poland’s Ali/Frazier, if not in quality then certainly in magnitude. After all, these are the two most prominent and beloved Polish fighters in history, and Polish fight fans are a rabid, passionate bunch. I have vivid memories of watching the first Bowe/Golota fight in ‘96, the one that eventually transformed Madison Square Garden into a war zone, at a bar in a Polish neighborhood of Brooklyn. When Golota, the “Foul Pole” as he would come to be known, was finally disqualified for his endless stream of low blows and the riot started in the Garden, the scene in that bar turned about as insane as I have ever witnessed, and I’ve witnessed some insane fight crowds, believe me. But the Polish maniacs in this joint, man, I thought they were going to tear the building off its foundations. To put it mildly, I feared for my safety, and was very glad for the fact that I happen to look kind of like a Polish guy.
Adamek has been fighting out of Newark for a few years now and has built up a huge following among the Polish community there. He’s also proven himself to be a hell of a fighter, with his signature bout being a war with Steve Cunningham last December, a Fight-of-the-Year candidate that won Adamek the IBF cruiserweight belt. He has since defended that belt twice, but has been unable to procure himself any high-profile fights at cruiserweight due to the dearth of star power that currently exists above the light heavyweight division.
So last week, it was learned that he was considering a move up to heavyweight, and immediately the whispers began about a potential fight with Golota in Poland, which would makes sense for both sides. For Adamek, it’s probably the biggest fight that he could make right now, and for a guy who just two years ago was fighting at 175 pounds, it would be a relatively easy assignment in his first bout as a heavyweight. That’s because Golota, who if we’re being honest was never that good in the first place (remember the beating Lennox Lewis gave him?), is so far past his prime that one forgets if he ever even had a prime. His most recent fight took place last November in China against heavyweight journeyman Ray Austin. I include the video below because, well, it’s hilarious:

It was reported that Austin knocked Golota down 10 seconds into the first round, but I don’t see quite how it took that long. Looked more like about two seconds to me. The bell rang, Austin threw a one-two, and down went Golota. Then he proceeded to sleepwalk through the round, get knocked down again, throw maybe a total of three punches, and then quit on his stool claiming an arm injury. It was an ignominious outing bordering on Jose Canseco proportions, and you really have to wonder if he wants to put on that kind of display in front of all those fans in Poland who still love the guy. Then again, fighting Adamek in Poland likely would be Golota’s biggest payday since he fought Mike Tyson in 2000, and it’s not as if he has a lot of big paydays left. So on that count, what can you say but "ah salud, get that money."
Based on the evidence, though, you have to figure that if it happens, The Polish Fight of the Century is going to be a very one-sided affair. Adamek can really fight. I tend to think he would beat the CRAP out of Ray Austin right now, which is a bad sign indeed for Golota. All in all, it probably would be a nice walk in the park for Adamek – score a quick KO, make some nice bank, get a lot of Polish love and maybe some American headlines for the curiosity factor, and then try to make a bout with a legitimate heavyweight trial horse to see if he can really bang with the big boys.
The only thing he would need to look out for is his cup. You feel me, Tomasz? Watch them low blows. They don’t call Golota the “Foul Pole” for nothing. The guy is one of the great groin-punchers the fight game has ever known.