Wimbledon 2009: What IS the point of all these Volley Dollies?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
If you are ever walking through a green and leafy suburb of west London, and you happen to hear a high-pitched, banshee-like wail that goes through you even more than the sound of fingernails being scratched down a blackboard, it's probably a women's tennis match at Wimbledon.

Like many sports - such as football, rugby and cricket - the women's version is definitely not as high-quality and as skilful as the men's, no matter what women or the "equality" brigade believe.

But in tennis, the quality of women's tennis has actually decreased in recent years, with many of the top-ranked players having unpronounceable names that nobody remembers.

Maybe the decline of female tennis players is the reason why many of them have to wail like banshees every time they hit the ball.

What IS the point of all these Volley Dollies?

By Allison Pearson
24th June 2009
Daily Mail

Don't be surprised if Michael Stich is found in a heap on Centre Court this week with a Slazenger logo beaten into his handsome face.

The former Wimbledon champion has taken an ungentlemanly smash at women tennis players.

On Radio Five, he accused them of being there not to play well but to look sexy.

'That's what they sell,' said Stich. 'They want to look good.'

At this point, I am supposed to leap to the defence of the girls they call Volley Dollies. Sadly, I can't. Because the truth is female tennis has become tedious beyond belief.

I can't remember the last time I really thrilled to a ladies' match at Wimbledon. It might have been 1999.

That was the year Steffi Graf decided to retire and spend the rest of her life playing mixed doubles with Andre Agassi.

Impeccable timing, our Steffi. Since she quit, women's tennis has been declining faster than a Martina Navratilova forehand whipped down the line off a Chris Evert serve.

Nowadays, if it's a women's match on the television, I simply switch off or drift off - though, admittedly, it can be hard to doze, as several girls now feel that no rally is complete without grunting like a bison in the final stages of labour.

A big noise: 2004 Wimbledon winner Maria Sharapova

In her match on Monday, ex-champion Maria Sharapova covered up a so-so performance by hollering throughout.

Michelle Larcher De Brito, whose shrieks have registered at 109 decibels, hit back at her critics, saying: 'Television viewers can always hit the mute button if they don't like the sound I make.'

Arrogant and charmless, there speaks the modern female player.

Women's tennis is not just a pale shadow of its former self. It's a tanned, noisy, vain, characterless, coma-inducing version of its former self.

Name me the top women players? As a lifelong Wimbledon fan, I am shocked to find that I barely know who some of them are.

Golovin? Hantuchova? Kirilenko? Me neither. It's as if there's a secret armaments factory somewhere in Eastern Europe which churns out ballistic baseline belles who sound like a terrible hand in Scrabble.

The rot undoubtedly started with Anna Kournikova, who got to be the highest-earning female tennis star without actually winning anything, except Best Legs In Show.

Of course, beauty and an appreciation of the female form were always part of women's tennis. Remember the young Evonne Goolagong skipping between tramlines like a gazelle on a piece of elastic?

Or Clive James's 'Bring me the sweat of Gabriela Sabatini', a lip-smacking ode to the lissom Argentinian player?

But back then, the women's game was full of personalities so big they didn't need to make a loud noise.

The only racket came from the racquets; that lovely hollow pock-pock-pock that was once the sound of summer itself.

Now we have players like the supposed world No1 Dinara Safina, who crumbles under pressure that Steffi and Martina would have swallowed with the Robinson's barley water.

Meanwhile, the Williams sisters, who have dominated women's tennis, look on course to - yawn - meet in this year's final for possibly the 26th time.

You can admire Serena and Venus's athleticism, but for me they lack the poetry and heart-stopping grandeur of the greats. And sibling rivalry is no substitute for the gladiatorial battles between the men at the top of their game.

Last year's epic men's final between Federer and Nadal (the longest in Wimbledon history) made you feel grateful you were alive to witness it. Blink twice and you missed the women's final, though the prize money is now the same.

In their heyday, I would have walked over glass to see Martina or Steffi play. But if you offered me tickets for this year's ladies' final, I'd cite a previous engagement - washing my hair. Quite simply, women's tennis lacks balls.

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I stopped watching women's tennis many years ago as soon as they started screeching.
It is embarrassing, and unecessary. They claim it has something to do with being
more relaxed by letting all the air out loudly. That is a crock of sh*t, they are
doing it to distract their opponent , and now many of them do it.
The american sisters are good players, and I respect their play, and there are other
very good players as well, and I do not think the quality of the play has dropped,
actually the opposite. Since Navratalova and all of her opponents played, the
quality has improved immensely, but they all need tuck tape across their mouthes.
It is ridiculous and tacky.
Steffe Graffe was the best player a few years ago, but she would have a tough
time beating the top players, even at the level she played.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The grunting is comic, I turn down the sound and watch.

Very few are attractive, they mostly look like stocky peasant workhorses.

Why don't they play best of five instead of best of three? Most likely because they are too chunky and couldn't stand the heat for up to five hours. Yet they get equal pay, A good scam in my books.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
When one is watching women's sports, don't look for sexy curvy bodies, these
women are fit, and very strong, and have worked at their games for years and
years, what they look like has nothing to do with it, that is sexist, do you say
the same about the men.

They play the best of 3 because they are smaller, 'not men', not as strong, but
you know, I'll bet there are some of the players who would want best of 5.

The women should never be compared to the men as 'not as good', they are women
who's technique is as good as any men in the world, but women are not as strong,
so naturally they don't hit the ball as hard, simple, and that applies to many sports,
golf is another example, the women have excellent technique, just as good as the
men, but being smaller they don't hit the ball as hard, or as far.
That is why tee boxes are placed in different places, to accomodate women
and men.

Would you put a feather weight boxer into the ring with a heavy weight boxer, of course
not, but he is just as good, but not as strong.

strength alone is not the measure of excellence.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
When one is watching women's sports, don't look for sexy curvy bodies, these women are fit, and very strong, and have worked at their games for years and years, what they look like has nothing to do with it, that is sexist, do you say the same about the men.

They play the best of 3 because they are smaller, 'not men', not as strong, but you know, I'll bet there are some of the players who would want best of 5.

The women should never be compared to the men as 'not as good', they are women who's technique is as good as any men in the world, but women are not as strong, so naturally they don't hit the ball as hard, simple, and that applies to many sports, golf is another example, the women have excellent technique, just as good as the men, but being smaller they don't hit the ball as hard, or as far. That is why tee boxes are placed in different places, to accomodate women and men.

Would you put a feather weight boxer into the ring with a heavy weight boxer, of course not, but he is just as good, but not as strong. strength alone is not the measure of excellence.

Fact is, women run marathons and do triathlete ironman competitions like men, why not the same for tennis? Two out of three tennis matches allow the stronger, but less fit athlete to win. I don't think that builds up the sport. I don't think the Williams sisters have had 5 hour matches, why not?

They cry about equality for women in sports, so they should play the same number of matches. Best of 3 means less work but more money, compared to men who play best of 5.

Looks always have something to do with everything, we're not blind. I said I watch women play, I don't like the grunting.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Sharapova can scream all she wants. I kinda like that little bit of extra oomph coming out of her as she volleys her way to the podium. Call me perverted, but if you close your eyes and forget there's tennis on the tely you can imagine all kinds of kinky scenarios as she screams and groans her way through. I watched two of her matches leading up to the finals and she is showing great possibilities. She was having trouble with her arm because of recent shoulder surgery, yet still managed to go to the finals. That says a lot. Plus she's smokin' hot...at tennis I mean...;-)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Fact is, women run marathons and do triathlete ironman competitions like men, why not the same for tennis? Two out of three tennis matches allow the stronger, but less fit athlete to win. I don't think that builds up the sport. I don't think the Williams sisters have had 5 hour matches, why not?

They cry about equality for women in sports, so they should play the same number of matches. Best of 3 means less work but more money, compared to men who play best of 5.

Looks always have something to do with everything, we're not blind. I said I watch women play, I don't like the grunting.
I don't agree with your statement about stronger, but less fit winning, less fit
can't last a match. The williams sisters are very fit for example, but not
muscle bound, it's just their type of body. My example of 'fit' is able to endure,
and all the woman tennis players we see on tv can endure, or they wouldn't
make it to the top.
I don't know 'any' women 'crying' equality in sports, they play against each other,
and haven't asked to play the men, your point doesn't make any sense.
I don't have a clue why there is best of 3 for women and best of 5 for men,
tennis federation would have to answer that question, I'm just assuming it's
because the women aren't strong enough to play that long, 'at their best'.,
just my opinion.
Michelle Wee played against men in golf, (sometimes),did very well till she had a serious
wrist injury, took a while healing, she tried again but lost her confidence,
then her game suffered, she is making good comback now on the women's
tour, it's not necessary for her to play the men, doesn't prove anything to
either sex. She hits the ball as long, and longer than lots of men, but she
still belongs with the women, she played excellent in the soheim cup.
Sponsors wanted her in tournaments to 'bring' in more money because it
drew more viewers.

Again I will say, 'strength alone is not excellence'.
Men are stronger than women, always have been always will, no one can
change that.

Maybe 5 sets rather than 3 is too hard on their bodies, physically, muscles
and bones, could lead to injuries, just my assumption, don't really know for
sure. Women are smaller, muscles and bones are smaller.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My goodness... can you imagine what men's sports would look like if the only commentary people could come up with is what noises they make and how good looking they are?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
My goodness... can you imagine what men's sports would look like if the only commentary people could come up with is what noises they make and how good looking they are?

It is sickening when one listens to radio commentaries re: women's tennis, as they all refer to them by how hot they are, what they look like, and yes, their
screaming too, seems the men like it.
I hate it, and remember when women played tennis without screaching with
every swing, don't know why they started doing it, and it seems they are playing
right into the men's desires, because they connect it with, '(you got it), sex.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It is sickening when one listens to radio commentaries re: women's tennis, as they all refer to them by how hot they are, what they look like, and yes, their
screaming too, seems the men like it.
I hate it, and remember when women played tennis without screaching with
every swing, don't know why they started doing it, and it seems they are playing
right into the men's desires, because they connect it with, '(you got it), sex.

From the tennis I've seen, the men grunt too. I don't see why women shouldn't play the way that works for them. What someone reads into it has nothing to do with whether or not it works for their game. It seems that no one has given a good reason in here beyond odd notions of modesty and femininity, as to why women shouldn't grunt if it works for their game.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
All of this 'concern' about women's tennis has come out of England. A country noted for thinking rather highly of themselves, and rather lowly of others.

I think it's fairly safe to discount any sports commentary coming out of the UK. I still remember watching F1 races on CBC, which carriee the BBC coverage, and hearing that Alain Proust was a surprisingly good driver, 'for a Frenchman'.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Look at beach volleyball - even at the Olympic level, the rules for 'uniforms' are ridiculous.

beach vollyball is sickening, why do they bother wearing anything, again, is it to
draw the male audience? Is it just me? Am I from the dark ages, don't think so.
Figure skating tried to make their costumes more skimpy a few years back, didn't
work, too many complaints. panties attached to costume were almost 'thongs', not now. Was not attractive at all.
Beach volleyball is a good sport, they are very good athletes, but it seems they are
trying to advertise their naked bodies first, and their athleticism second.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
All of this 'concern' about women's tennis has come out of England. A country noted for thinking rather highly of themselves, and rather lowly of others.

I think it's fairly safe to discount any sports commentary coming out of the UK. I still remember watching F1 races on CBC, which carriee the BBC coverage, and hearing that Alain Proust was a surprisingly good driver, 'for a Frenchman'.

All the comments I hear about women tennis players is not out of the UK, it is
our canadian press, and talk show callers,who are more interested in what they look like, and not
too interested in how talented they are, as athletes.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
From the tennis I've seen, the men grunt too. I don't see why women shouldn't play the way that works for them. What someone reads into it has nothing to do with whether or not it works for their game. It seems that no one has given a good reason in here beyond odd notions of modesty and femininity, as to why women shouldn't grunt if it works for their game.

It is nowhere near grunting, it is screaming.
I have been involved in sports for far too long to be sucked into thinking
they need to scream to be efficient.
Sure a little grunt, would be quite normal, seems necessary actually, not
the same as what they are doing at present.
We turn our volume down when watching them.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It is nowhere near grunting, it is screaming.
I have been involved in sports for far too long to be sucked into thinking
they need to scream to be efficient.
Sure a little grunt, would be quite normal, seems necessary actually, not
the same as what they are doing at present.
We turn our volume down when watching them.

It's partly effort, and partly psychology.

It's just a way to play the game.