England VS Czech Republic: Defoe to partner Rooney up front

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
England play the Czech Republic in a friendly at Wembley tonight, with Defoe to partner Rooney up front.

Also, England manager Fabio Cprllo has chosen John Terry to be the England captain for the 2010 World Cup qualifiers. England's first match in the qualifiers is just two weeks away, against tiny Andorra, with the game against Croatia just four days later.

England v Czech Republic team news: Defoe to partner Rooney

By NEIL ASHTON
20th August 2008
Daily Mail

VS

ENGLAND VS CZECH REPUBLIC,
tonight, 7:45pm, Wembley

The England team to face the Czech Republic at Wembley is :

David James // Wes Brown, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry (captain) // David Beckham, Gareth Barry, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard // Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney.

Jermaine Defoe has been handed the chance to force his way into England's World Cup plans after being named in Fabio Capello's team to face the the Czech Republic tonight.

The England head coach has just named the team and Defoe, who scored twice in England's 3-0 victory over Trinidad and Tobago in June, plays along side Wayne Rooney.

Defoe has been given the nod by Capello to start for England tonight in their friendly against the Czech Republic

The Rooney/Defoe pairing began up front against USA at Wembley in June and has been given another chance in England's first game of the season.

Despite concerns about Rooney's fitness among England's coaching staff, the Manchester United striker has been named in the team.

John Terry vows to be captain fantastic and says Euro despair has made him stronger leader

By Sportsmail Reporter
20th August 2008
Daily Mail

John Terry believes that battling through the lowest point of his career will make him a better and stronger England captain.

The Chelsea defender will lead Fabio Capello's side against the Czech Republic at Wembley tonight having beaten off the challenge of Rio Ferdinand for the skipper's armband.

And ahead of the friendly he paid tribute to his family, the 'thousands' of Chelsea fans who wrote to him after his night of despair in the Champions League Final last May and the club who helped him through the bad times.

Press call: England manager Fabio Capello and captain John Terry chat to reporters.

The defender also revealed that in the wake of his penalty miss in Moscow, he was suffering from nerves before the opening match of the season, against Portsmouth on Sunday.

'The aftermath of that night in Moscow was the low point of my career,' he admitted.

'It was the lowest I'll ever want to be in football and hopefully I won't go there again.

'When you've been there, right at the very bottom, the only way to look is up but that experience, as bad as it was, has made me stronger.

'In a way I was relieved there was a game with England just afterwards because that gave me a focus.

'The manager gave me a big boost by giving me the armband against the United States and the performance that night was good.

'I managed to score which rounded it off for me. It was a big relief.'

Terry also believes his brother, Paul, wife Toni and twins Georgie John and Summer Rose, also played a big part on his recovery.

'I had chats with Paul while my wife and children helped me through it as well,' he said.

'My team-mates were also important to me at that time, as were the Chelsea fans. I've had thousands of letters from them.

'I want to take this opportunity to thank them for their support.

'I was quite nervous before Sunday's opening game against Portsmouth because I still felt I had let them down.'

England start their World Cup qualifying campaign against Andorra in a fortnight and face Croatia four days later.

dailymail.co.uk