Olympians strip down as they prepare to make history in Beijing

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Several members of the Great Britain Olympics team have posed naked for the camera for a cool photoshoot.

Let's hope they win loads of medals. Only the United States and Russia (including when it was USSR) have won more Summer Olympics medals than Great Britain....

Naked ambition: Britain's Olympians strip down as they prepare to make history in Beijing

By Arthur Martin
03rd August 2008
Daily Mail

Seven members of the Great Britain Olympics team model the team's new hi-tech adidas kits

Muscles taut and face locked in concentration, this is Rebecca Romero, who will be representing Britain in the Olympic games later this month.

With a carefully placed arm and thigh to protect her modesty, she appears to be in perfect physical condition ahead of what will be a gruelling race in Beijing.

The 28-year-old, who won a sliver medal in rowing at the 2004 Olympics in Athens, only took up cycling as a sport seriously in March 2006.

Easy rider: Rower-turned-cyclist Rebecca Romero shows off her enviable physique on her bike

After reinventing herself as one of the world's top cyclists she will now seek to make history in China as the first British woman to win Olympic medals in two separate summer sports.

Romero's previous experience of cycling consisted of working in a bike shop as a teenager.

The athlete, who modestly describes herself as 'generally a lazy person', is now favourite to win the gold medal in the 3000m individual pursuit race in which she is already world champion.

The naked truth: British triple jumper Phillips Idowu shows off his toned body in all its glory

'I am a really sore loser and I probably will be gutted if I get anything less than the gold medal in Beijing,' she said.

Romero also suggested she might be tempted to take up a third sport after the Games.

She said: 'I might think about raising the bar a bit more. It might have to be a winter sport as I might not be able to wait for another Olympic cycle.'

Only one other Briton has achieved the feat of winning medals in two sports.

Welshman Paul Radmilovic won medals in swimming and water polo in the 1920s, two sports which are arguably more closely related than cycling and rowing.

In the modern Olympic era, the only athlete to have achieved it is American Tim Shaw, who won a swimming silver medal in Montreal in 1976 and a water polo silver in Los Angeles eight years later.

Enlarge
Making waves: Swimmer Gregor Tait goes for a skinny dip

Triple jumper Phillips Idowu and swimmer Gregor Tait also posed naked for award-winning photographer Nadav Kander.

The images will be used as part of an advertising campaign for Powerade, the official sports drink of the Beijing Games.

Idowu, 29, who has been hailed as one of Britain's best hopes of a track and field gold medal, said: 'This is definitely one of the more unusual shoots I've taken part in, but also one of the most enjoyable.

'Nadav made us all feel really comfortable, and we had a lot of fun. The Inner Gear for an athlete - how we train, what we eat, drink and when we sleep - is as important as what we wear, and it's great that a campaign like this brings it to life.'

Striking: Phillips Idowu poses in one of the powerful images which will form the basis of an advertising campaign during the Olympics

Cathryn Sleight, marketing director for Coca-Cola Great Britain which produces Powerade, added: 'Everyone is used to seeing athletes in competition or winning, but we wanted to give people the chance to see the real make-up of an athlete and their muscle and power, celebrating the body and spirit and the hard work that goes into training for all athletes whatever your level.'

TOP 10 COUNTRIES THAT HAVE WON MOST SUMMER OLYMPIC MEDALS 1896-2004

1) USA - 2188
2) Russia - 1010
3) Great Britain - 668
4) France - 596
5) Italy - 494
6) Germany - 488
7) Sweden - 470
8 ) Hungary - 448
9) Australia - 386
10) Japan - 335

dailymail.co.uk

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Beautiful portraits - thanks!

Nothing like a honed human physique to demonstrate how well we are put together if we care for ourselves.

Back to my ice cream cone ahem...

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Beautiful portraits - thanks!

Nothing like a honed human physique to demonstrate how well we are put together if we care for ourselves.

Back to my ice cream cone ahem...

I'm going to have a Nutty Buddy.